The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 4, 2014, 09:24 PM   #1
Dr. Buchenrad

Looking for 20ga AOW

I have been a lurker around here for a bit, but I now have a question that my lurking and googling havent been able to answer. Can such a gun as the following be acquired or converted as only an AOW? (not an SBS) If so, who makes one?

-SXS double barrel smooth bore
-20ga
-8"-10" barrel
-Pistol Grip

If so can the pistol grip legally be changed for a different (better fitting) grip?

I would rather buy than convert but if such a gun would be hard/impossible to find then conversion would be an option. If I did need to convert, what are my options for a base gun? Also, I am aware of the Serbu Shorty but I want a SxS.
Old December 5, 2014, 12:46 AM   #2
Sharkbite

Converting or making on a form 1 is actually the easier way to go. You can e-file a form 1 and get an approval at around the 25-30 day mark right now.

Buying an already made gun on a form 4 must be paper filed and can run 6-9 MONTHS!!!

Additionally, if you do the conversion yourself it will be exactly what you want. Exact barrel length, grip, whatever you desire.

The only downside to that route is the cost of the tax stamp. AOW's are only $5 to transfer....making a SBS costs $200. Me personally, i would pay the $200 and do it sooner and to my specs instead of getting somebody elses idea of what this should include.
Old December 5, 2014, 01:02 AM   #3
Dr. Buchenrad

According to everything I have read, in order for it to be an AOW and not a SBS when the barrel is cut, it has to have a pistol grip from the factory, but I have seen pictures of cut down SxSs (barrel and stock) that appear to have had full stocks that they say are AOWs. Are the rules different for single shot type guns?

If this is the case, who sells a pistol grip 20ga SxS?

Last edited by Dr. Buchenrad; December 5, 2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old December 5, 2014, 02:50 AM   #4
Bill DeShivs

If the action never had a stock attached, the gun can be made as an AOW. Stocked shotguns that are cut down have to be registered as SBS.
MAKING either is a $200 tax. BUYING/SELLING an AOW is a $5 tax.
Old December 5, 2014, 02:57 AM   #5
Bill DeShivs

If the action never had a stock attached, the gun can be made as an AOW. Stocked shotguns that are cut down have to be registered as SBS.
MAKING either is a $200 tax. BUYING/SELLING an AOW is a $5 tax.