The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 12, 2013, 11:56 AM   #1
BumbleBug

Inertial recoil reducers...

Do they work? Anyone have any experience with these? Some use spring pistons & others are filled with mercury.

TIA...

..bug
Old May 12, 2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

They work, somewhat, if they are installed correctly. They work with inertia, either mercury, a weight with springs, or lead shot. As the gun recoils, the weight from the three items mentioned above, want to move forward in the opposing direction (actually they sit still as the recoil happens), and counter the recoil.

They may not be good to mount in an inertia locked shotgun, similar to Benelli, and others. The reason why, is these types of actions depend on the recoil to lock the bolt. If the recoil is reduced, there could be a possibility of the bolt unlocking prematurely. Also, never shoot one from a shooting vise that won't allow recoil.
Old May 13, 2013, 01:17 PM   #3
BumbleBug

Although muzzle brakes are popular & they work, they do have their drawbacks; mainly noise back at the shooter.

Since they work, I was wondering why these inertia devices aren't more popular. I've never experienced a rifle with one. Seem like they could be used in conjunction with a good recoil pad without any disadvantages except a few ounces of weight.

I put a good recoil pad on just about every CF rifle I own. This includes .22-250 & .250 savage. Even on light kicking guns, less recoil is better in my mind.

Thanks for the response.

...bug
Old May 13, 2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Some were made, that could fit in the bolt hole of the stock, but the problem is, that the mercury and lead shot ones have to be mounted uphill, with the nose up toward the frame. The weight, with two opposing springs, was supposed to counter this, and allow for easier installation. The other two required a new bored hole in the stock, at the correct angle, unless the bolt hole ran uphill while the gun was held. Plus, if you shot vertically, they didn't work hardly at all, so some bird shots are out.

Winchester came up with the sliding stock, that used a shock absorber setup, and I think you can get a stock mechanism similar to it now.

According to what gun you want to install it on, they make one that will replace the magazine tube cap, for some auto and pump guns. You might try one of these, to see how you like it, before boring a stock to install one.