The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 26, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1
mjes92

Beretta CX4 Storm carbine ???

I'm looking for honest opinions from people with experience shooting the Beretta CX4 Storm carbine. Being a LH shooter I am intriged with the selectable ejection port feature.

Thanks
NRA - Life Member
Old April 26, 2013, 02:19 PM   #2
tahunua001

I've handled a couple rentals. they are a very good deal. they don't have the ammo capacity of an AR15 in 9mm and they look like they could be a pain to take down as the body is mostly plastic but it is streamlined, well balanced, fairly accurate and has a better trigger and higher capacity than Hi points or keltec 9mm carbines. they are a little pricier but you get what you pay for.
Old April 26, 2013, 05:36 PM   #3
eastbank

i had one about a year ago and while it was ok and worked, but a carbine in 9mm just was not what i wanted and i started useing a m-1 carbine with a folding stock, it shoots much flatter out to 150yds. eastbank.
Old April 26, 2013, 06:06 PM   #4
KROIL

I shoot lefty too. The changable ejection feature is nice and very easy to change. My storm is in .45 acp. Accuracy is really good. Its been 100% reliable. Have not found any ammo it does not like. You can dump ALOT of money into it dressing it up. I hate to think how much I have into mine. The downside on the .45 version is limited mag capasity and the triggers are kinda squishy but other than that they are great.
Old April 27, 2013, 08:26 AM   #5
jonnyc

I have the HP995 and my lefty buddy has a CX4. We usually shoot them together with a few other friends. The CX is awesome, with large mag capacity and accessory points, but beyond those things, it is no better than the Hi-Point. They are both very reliable and very accurate. And it has been universally recognized, in my group of shooters, that the HP995 trigger is much better than the stock CX trigger.
Old April 27, 2013, 08:40 AM   #6
DATL

Beretta CX4 Storm carbine ???

I'm interested in these things too. I'm a big fan of pistol caliber carbines. I have been loaned a close friend's Kriss Vector to see if I wanna buy it from him (for a really really good price), but after seeing this Beretta i'm having a difficult time determining if the Kriss is really worth almost double the cost of a Storm.

I'm curious about the option for higher magazine capacities on the storm?
Old April 28, 2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Sasquatch in MN

I have a Beretta 92 pistol and the Cx4 was a nice add with the common magazines.

I had a 9mm AR SBR, but I liked the storm better and it was a pound lighter that the 10.5" SBR

The storm has a lot going for it, but the stock trigger is long, hard and gritty.

Don
Old April 28, 2013, 06:14 PM   #8
marine6680

I owned one back when they were first released.

It was a fun little gun, easy to disassemble and clean, accurate, just a blast.

I was not a fan of the plastic trigger and hammer setup. I know they make aftermarket replacements.

Back then the price was much less, and I think more appropriate for a PCC made mostly of polymer. The current prices (last I seen was a year ago before the gun control buying scare was $800) seem too high for me.
Old April 28, 2013, 06:23 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I'm curious about the option for higher magazine capacities on the storm?
You can get 30 round factory mags for the CX4 if it's set up to take 92 mags. If you have one equipped to take PX4 mags, 20 is the limit in factory magazines.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/b...ne-9mm-30-rds/
Quote:
...they look like they could be a pain to take down...
They come apart very easily. They seem to be well thought out.
Old April 28, 2013, 06:30 PM   #10
BoomieMCT

I've shot my uncle's CX4 quite a bit. It's accurate, well balanced, reliable and has lots of space to hang doo-dads (if you are into such things). The only real con is that it is pretty expensive for a PCC.
Old April 28, 2013, 06:39 PM   #11
ejfalvo

I'm LH (the chosen ones) with a 45ACP Storm. First thing I did was swap out the ejection port side, took me all of 10 minutes. Gun shoots great, accurate out to about 75~100 yards (farthest I've measured) and fun to shoot. Trigger is fair, zero recoil (IMHO). Its the HD carbine. Only down side is the 45ACP mag limit (8).
Old April 28, 2013, 07:36 PM   #12
FrosSsT

I have one in .40 and its great - its reliable, accurate, fun to shoot and taking it down to clean is a breeze. I wont list names but whoever said it seemed hard to take apart simply never did it and whoever claimed the hi point is one the same level obviously never compared side by side.
Old April 28, 2013, 08:13 PM   #13
ZEBRARANGER

I too am a lefty and chose the CX4 because its so south paw friendly and very compact. At under 30" long, it makes for a good HD carbine. Its very ergonomic and shoulders well. Mine is a .40 and uses the same mags as my Beretta 90-Two. Its factory trigger should be much better than it is for its price, Sierra Papa make a much improved trigger kit for it and its much nicer. I also changed the ejection port and added dual cocking handles. Like others have said, lots of attachment points. I've made use of them by adding a Vortex StrikeFire Red/Green dot on low mount rings to allow it to co-witness with the iron sights. Houts Enterprises metal rails and cup, Olight M20-X 500 lumens tactical light, Beretta barrel shroud, laser and AVG fore grip. I've had it for 3 or 4 years now and its been flawless with no issues. Also, it a enjoyable and fun range gun too.

Last edited by ZEBRARANGER; April 28, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old April 29, 2013, 10:31 PM   #14
Fargazer

I purchased one during a promotion at my LGS; a few other aspects not mentioned:
  • There is an insert kit you can use to change the magazine type used in the carbine. You have the choice of the Px4 Storm, the Cougar, or the 92 series style magazines, and with the right parts can change any to any. Lots of flexibility.
  • Takedown of the Cx4 Storm has one "got'cha", regarding the recoil rod and the attached recoil pad. It's been a while, but I think if you don't cock the hammer and disassemble it you can break off the recoil pad, which is attached to the recoil spring guide rod. Sierra Papa (Brownells have them) makes a replacement set where the recoil pad fits snugly against the rod, but isn't actually attached. So if you forget, it just comes loose and you put it back Hence my forgetting - I don't need to worry about it any more
  • The trigger can vary wildly, from excellent to rough - the trigger parts and connectors are plastic, so they are very dependent upon molding quality. Again, Papa Sierra sells a replacement trigger group that allows trigger adjustment. If you start with a good trigger, the Papa Sierra trigger parts won't significantly improve it, but if not Papa Sierra is a good alternative.
Great little gun; guests who shoot it always get a big grin
Old April 30, 2013, 08:29 AM   #15
mjes92

CX4 Thanks

Thanks for the good info.
Knowing the trigger can be improved on helps a lot. If I find one for the right price I may go for it. Just wish they would accept Glock mags.

Thanks again.
NRA - Life Member
Old April 30, 2013, 06:52 PM   #16
marine6680

The comparison to the Hi-Point carbine is funny... they are not in the same league.

The Beretta is like a Japanese sports car. Its well built, light, nimble, and runs great. (ignoring the functional if a little spongy plastic trigger and hammer)

The Hi-point is like an old beat up pickup truck that still runs like a top. Its ugly, crude, heavy, and sloppy... but it works.

I have a hi-point right now, its a good range toy, and reliable enough that I would trust it in a bad situation, its just not "sexy".

I sold my Beretta years ago, Paid $550 for it, sold it for about $500... wish I never sold it. But I was not a fan of the plastic trigger and hammer and the aftermarket had not got started on it... Ah hindsight.
Old April 30, 2013, 08:22 PM   #17
M4BGRINGO

I use my .40 cal CX4 for Knockdown Steel all the time. I would bet I have 3000 rounds through it since I last cleaned it, still functions 100%. I like the fact that my red dot co-witnesses perfectly with the iron sights. Great for when the battery is dead and I forgot a spare!
Old April 30, 2013, 09:55 PM   #18
chris in va

Quote:
The Hi-point is like an old beat up pickup truck that still runs like a top. Its ugly, crude, heavy, and sloppy... but it works.
Until it breaks. Four times.
Old April 30, 2013, 10:18 PM   #19
bfoosh006

I have fired my friends Storm with a aftermarket trigger installed, I can say that I had no complaints at all about the trigger.

BUT, as for the 30 round Beretta magazines... those are a PITA to load after the twenty round mark... ( and getting to 20 rounds made you think you were going to slice you fingers wide open since you were pushing so frikken hard. )Get a Maglula to help ....http://www.maglula.com/PistolMagLoad...45ACPmags.aspx

Interesting.... conversion kit for the CX4 version to 92...http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...tta__Cx4 Storm

And I believe this is the aftermarket trigger parts link..
http://sierrapapacx4.com/

Last edited by bfoosh006; April 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old May 1, 2013, 03:21 PM   #20
jonnyc

Almost 3x the price of a Hi-Point, and then you have to spend another c-note to get a decent trigger?
Old May 1, 2013, 08:39 PM   #21
tahunua001

I wonder why everyone is trashing the triggers on these. so far of all the 9mm carbines I've tried the CX4 has had the best trigger.
Old May 2, 2013, 08:04 AM   #22
jonnyc

I've fired 2 HPs and 2 CXs. Both HP triggers were better than the pair of CX triggers. I guess they must vary a bit.
Old May 3, 2013, 09:02 PM   #23
seansean1444

I had one in 45acp I loved it but the trigger was terrible felt like a 10lb pull. Besides that it was a great gun
Old May 6, 2013, 07:43 PM   #24
Ozzieman

I purchased a CX4 when they first came out, it’s one gun I will never let go. Disassembly is about as easy as any gun I have ever owned.
But with that said, if you have the money (2000$) get yourself a Kriss carbine. There is no better pistol caliber carbine, none. IMO
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524261

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old May 7, 2013, 07:09 AM   #25
tulsamal

I know, it's a Beretta... what would you expect? But... if this rifle had been made in the beginning to take the various Glock mags, I would own one. Or two. Imagine it with G17 mags. Even better, models that use G20 and G21 mags. That would be sweet!

Lacking that... I've had to go AR to get what I want. For a lot more money for custom work.

Gregg