The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2013, 08:26 PM   #1
covcreo

Cleanest powderthat provides the best results.

Hey fellow Reloading enthusiast. I am new to the forum and am looking for a really clean burning powder for my DE44.

I have read that V V N110 burns the cleanest but I cannot find any 44 240 grain HP XTP load data for it. I have also seen in various forums that of 2400, 296, and H110 (296 and H110 being basically the same powder) 2400 burns the dirtiest. your opinion on this is appreciated.

I had a large supply of bulls-eye that I have been loading for my Red Hawk for some time but, need a clean load for my new 44 DE.

So what is the Best/Cleanest powder and what load data for these do you use?
Old January 20, 2013, 10:51 PM   #2
spacecoast

I'm not trying to be difficult, but why are you looking for the cleanest possible powder? To avoid cleaning? Unlikely with any powder...

I use H110 in my .44mag revolver, be very careful to stay at or above minimum loads (but less than max) since it's not very receptive to downloading, and use magnum primers.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.
Blue Dot is pretty clean. IMR 4227 is also and is my preference over all for my Redhawk. As for what I have published here in regards to N110 usage:

1. Minimum:-- N110-19.8--1386 fps.--240 gr jacketed bullet.
2. Maximum:----------21.9--1531 fps.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Martys

I load for quite a few calibre's and W231, Tightgroup & Varget virtually handle all my requirements for both pistol's revolver, and rifles (223 & 308). Hope that helps.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Sevens

Quote:
I'm not trying to be difficult, but why are you looking for the cleanest possible powder? To avoid cleaning? Unlikely with any powder...
The Desert Eagle is a gas-op semi-auto with a port and a piston and the fouling does kind of go everywhere. In loading for a Desert Eagle, it can be quite advantageous to at least try to keep it clean if you can simply by choosing a powder that has the reputation for leaving less residue.

In my experience in loading for a .44 Mag Desert Eagle, I've ran 240gr jacketed slugs (Nosler) with a heavy charge of Alliant 2400. I haven't yet experimented with other powders to get a better feel for things.

One thing that is typically true with most powders is that they tend to run cleaner that harder you run them. 2400's reputation is that when you run it lighter, you end up with more unburnt granules of powder.

I consider my loading for a .44 Mag Desert Eagle to be very much a work in progress.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:34 PM   #6
bluetopper

Accurate 4100 or Ramshot Enforcer.....same powder.

Burns clean and performs wonderful without all the muzzle flash.
Old January 22, 2013, 04:39 AM   #7
iraiam

H110 is my favorite powder for my .44 and .357, it burns plenty clean enough for me. I can't say it's the cleanest as there are many powders I have not tried.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Tags
296 , 44 mag , desert eagle , n110 , powder