The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 31, 2009, 11:21 PM   #1
edistomick

In Defense of Pet?

Just wondering about defending your pet dog against someone on your property scenario.
Someone comes, uninvited, on your rural property, your dog runs out barking, acting as an alarm bell, interloper pulls gun to shoot dog.
Dog has history of barking with hackles up, but then lays down and wants it's belly rubbed. No aggression, just barking. All neighbors, town-folk, adore said dog.
Like it or not, my dog is a whole lot important to me than a stranger or any of my portable goods (tv, computer, cash, etc.).
My dog is a small golden retriever, but still protective of "her turf".
What would be my options for defense for my pet?
Human life vs. canine is basically a no brainer, but..........
Would I just have to watch as a stranger on my property shoots my dog down while doing what she's supposed to do by protecting my/her property?

The interloper may have no ill intentions upon gaining entry to my property, but he may not know the intentions of my dog or know that once off the property, the aggression (all for show as it may be), will cease.

Any thoughts?

Fence/Beware of dog/no trespassing signs are not really an option since I run a business and have never had a situation with customers coming up--yet.
Old March 31, 2009, 11:24 PM   #2
KLRANGL

Quote:
Someone comes, uninvited, on your rural property,
Quote:
interloper pulls gun
dog or no dog, if someone pulls a gun on my property and I dont know them, it'll be a bad day for all involved...

Now if I was inside in a safe place watching this happen outside, guess I really dont know what i'd do... wouldnt want to run outside and start a gunfight, but I love my dogs... hmmm
Old March 31, 2009, 11:26 PM   #3
teeroux

Well if he has a gun in hand and you shoot him dead its your word not his.
Old March 31, 2009, 11:37 PM   #4
KLRANGL

Quote:
Well if he has a gun in hand and you shoot him dead its your word not his.
which is based on the assumption that he is the one who dies, and not you of course...
Old March 31, 2009, 11:37 PM   #5
chemgirlie

If somebody is on my property without my permission and pulls a gun I would be on the phone to 911. My state's laws prevent me from firing a shot until I have retreated as far as possible. Even if I was able to legally shoot the other person I wouldn't assuming that they have not seen me and are not pointing their gun at me.

My taste in pets tends to be on the side of things that slither and things that have 8 legs, but even if I had a llama, dog, or alpaca I wouldn't kill somebody over the loss of my pet. It's not that I don't like my pets, it's that I have a certain set of requirements to pull the trigger. One or more of the following has to happen:
1. My life is in danger
2. Somebody else's life is in danger
3. There is a threat of serious bodily harm to me
4. There is a threat of serious bodily harm to somebody else
5. I'm fighting in a war

Pets aren't on the list though.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:01 AM   #6
jgcoastie

I do love my golden, but if it comes down to the pup dying or me facing 20 years in prison on a manslaughter charge... I'll let the police deal with it while I begin a search for another dog...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:10 AM   #7
edistomick

Chemgirlie,

8 legged and slithery pets are different than dogs, especially golden retrievers, as far as I see. I raised a runt and she slept in my hats and has been within feet of me since 1998 without a leash. She takes care of me as much as I take care of her.

You're # 2 and #4 apply to me.
My 24/7, 11 yr companion is a "somebody"

KLRANGL,
good point, pull a gun on my turf.........

chemgirlie,
I don't normally disagree with what you opine. I am a fan of your opinions, but on this specific issue I find apples to oranges comparisons.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:11 AM   #8
hoytinak

If someone comes, uninvited, on my property and pulls a gun, dog or not they wouldn't be able to tell their side of the story. In Texas we can protect against property and that's just what I'd do.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:19 AM   #9
edistomick

jgcoastie

Dangit!!

Makes so much sense!
My response to chemgirlie looks like a bugger.

I'm torn between reason and feelings.

Sorry chemgirlie---you're right.

I just love that girl so much---I guess reality gets in the way sometimes.

Thanks jgcostie.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:24 AM   #10
teeroux

Quote:
which is based on the assumption that he is the one who dies, and not you of course...
Based on the asumption that he/she will be shot to death without warning from concealment/cover before he/she will be able to get off a shot on me, my family, my dog, or my propery and most likely without knowing I am there till they are dead.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:38 AM   #11
Sixer

You have the right to protect your property... technically your pet is your property. Unless the said stranger is in fear of his own life because of your pets actions.
Ummm, the more I think about this the more confused I get. Tough call, there are just too many possibilities and scenarios to give a general YES or NO answer.

If I put myself in this situation I would make damn sure the univited guest knows that while he might have the dog in his sights, I've got him in mine. What happens then is up to him.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:49 AM   #12
LoneWolf22056

if they pull on your dog and you shoot them, make sure they die. then just say that he pulled the gun on you. Like someone else said, it's going to be your word and not his, because his last word will be a gurgling of blood.

The system is not universally correct, and following it to to the T or dot on the i is asking for serious trouble. Pulling a gun on a dog is definitely overkill and is endangering everybody else around the immediate area. I've never understood why people get attacked and mauled by a dog. A dog! A normally sized human being has a height advantage. Unless the dog is cross-bred with a bear, it's going to be less than 200 pounds. A swift kick to the ribs or the snout of an overly aggressive canine is going to put a hurting on it for sure.

To prove this, I'll support with personal experience.
Once, I was out jogging and had been a good 5 miles and was nearing my home when a doberman came out at me. I shouted at it, because sometimes this is effective. It was not. The dog kept running at me, and no one was in sight, so I stopped running and waited for it to meet me. It jumped up at me and I kicked it square in the chest. The dog fell back and was whimpering, unable to stand. Threat neutralized.

A domestic animal should always be subordinate to a human. The use of a firearm to defend yourself is completely unnecessary. You've got longer legs and hands that can choke the dog into submission if he gets the drop on you.

Back on topic-To summarize, if anyone pulled a gun on my dog and I was able to draw and open fire, I would. Bottom line. If you're fast enough, you can draw a bead on them first and shout for them to drop the weapon (they'll be aiming at the dog). If they hesitate, administer the lead injection.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:59 AM   #13
Tucker 1371

I might catch some flak for this but I think in this case a well placed warning shot might be the best initial action and here's my reasoning.

Assuming the distance isn't too much and you're a decent shot, you can place a shot close enough to the guy that you both get his attention and are in good position to turn his head into a canoe if need be.

If he has no ill intentions a shot will definitely take his attention off your dog, if he does then it will probably take his attention off your dog as you are an obviously greater threat.

The chance of him having time to raise his weapon from your dog to you and get off a shot while you already have him in you sights shouldn't be too great. Just be careful the warning shot doesn't stand a chance of ricocheting and becoming a threat to neighbors.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old April 1, 2009, 01:02 AM   #14
Tucker 1371

Quote:
If you're fast enough, you can draw a bead on them first and shout for them to drop the weapon (they'll be aiming at the dog). If they hesitate, administer the lead injection.
If you have a pretty commanding voice then this is probably a better suggestion than mine.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old April 1, 2009, 01:02 AM   #15
chemgirlie

I've owned 4-legged creatures in the past. I just don't have enough time to devote to one, so I would feel really awful about getting one at the moment. But, assuming I did have a dog, there's nothing that says I can't encourage Fido to bite the guy while telling the 911 operator that if they don't arrest the trespasser quickly there might be a bit of an unavoidable mess to clean up.
Old April 1, 2009, 01:16 AM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If my dog/s get a gun pointed on 'em on my property it is not just property protection but a gun on my property falls under the no retreat required castle doctrine at which time I have no reason to think I or my family ain't next.
They don't even need to draw the weapon. Just posture up and/or show it to me and we are going to get it on! Same as if my dog leaves my place and shows aggression on someone else's place... I can't gripe if the dog gets a lead aspirin!
You can mess with my money, you can mess with my wife but if you mess with the dogs you are messin' with yer life... Just an ol' sayin I learned from real young...
Brent
Old April 1, 2009, 01:18 AM   #17
edistomick

Sixer,

Yep, the more I think about it, the more confused I get.
I entirely get the human/pet thing.
But, dangit!, I love my little girl!!
Yeah, she's a pet, an animal, property.
Yet,
I go to sleep each night knowing she's within three feet, facing the door, protecting me as I sleep.
I awake, smacking my snooze button, once, her cold nose nuzzles me the second time until I let her out to patrol the perimeter and take care of business. She comes back in to herd me in the shower.
I could go on and on throughout the day and her customer relation prowess and camping/paddling (my business) skills, but it would be too sappy.

In the end, she's just an animal, not worthy of protection from irrational humans bent on violence.
Old April 1, 2009, 01:25 AM   #18
alberich

That is really a difficult choice but despite the fact I really love animals and namely my pets, I side with the stranger here - well at least to some extent.
Just imagine what happens from her/his point of view: walking outside and suddenly "attacked" by a barking regularly sized dog with no human around to call the dog back.
Not everyone can "read" the dog's body language and to many people who spent their life driving cars and watching TV a barking dog just means a mortal danger. Namely if they are small or have children with them.

I'd say that some sign like "private property, beware of the dog" would be very helpfull if you have the dog running around freely.
OTOH I personally believe that shooting at a dog in SD situation (proper SD or not) is a bad tactics. A pepper spray works very effectively - but when you are shooting you better be lucky with that shot to stop the dog immediatelly. Ask hunters about shooting deers with long firearms in situation, where the animal stands perfectly still. And now you have just a handgun, the dog is attacking you, and damn close to you.
Old April 1, 2009, 05:29 AM   #19
Deet

Good thread very emotional topic. In most cities as a responsible dog owner you must have your dog under control at all times. You can have the dog on a leash or in a fenced in yard, or whatever but you are responsible for his actions and you must be able to control him regardless. A charging dog situation is very serious, a dog might get shot or a person may get bit, you should try to avoid letting your dog get into this type of situation. Just a thought.
Old April 1, 2009, 05:43 AM   #20
troy_mclure

he stated he lived in the country. different rules than in the city.

lone wolf, you ever play around with a big dog? i wrestle with my buddies 220lb bullmastiff all the time. its a strong, tough dog. a kick to the chest will just annoy it. it can easily hold down my buddy who is 6'2" and 280lbs.
it can toss my 150lb bum around like a rag doll.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 1, 2009, 05:46 AM   #21
Gazpacho

edistomick, if I read your OP correctly, your home is also a place of business? If so, that is a key to your problem. Because it is a place of business, you have implicitely given permission to customers and potential customers to come onto your property. At which point, if said customer perceived they were in immenent threat of bodily harm or death, they may be within their rights to shoot the dog.

A fence is the most obvious answer, but you have ruled that out. Don't do invisible fencing, unless you are willing to wear the shock collar too. Also it doesn't stop predators from coming in to kill your dog, but it does make your dog an easy target.

If not a fence around your property, how about a large fenced in dog run? Put her in during business hours. Maybe in sight of the driveway so she can bark when customers drive up. Or fence off the sides and back of the house, so she can't get out front.
Old April 1, 2009, 05:59 AM   #22
ActivShootr

I think watching someone savagely kill my dog would cause me to fear for my life.
Old April 1, 2009, 06:37 AM   #23
djohn

When they say a mans best friend IMO thats the absolute truth.I have and had dogs my whole life and when I say with a few exception they have been the most loyal,protective and reliable friends a man can possiably ask for.My dog is part of my family like one of my kids and It would be a very emotional moment and would most definatley be a threat and safety concern,How it would play out is any ones guess.A dogs life may have a great value to us but in the eyes of the law the human life is much greater and would hate to loose my freedom over a dog and leave my children fatherless.

Last edited by djohn; April 1, 2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old April 1, 2009, 06:53 AM   #24
djohn

Deet is correct the law in connecticut all dogs most be under the owners control 24/7 365 No exceptions and when taken for walks or dogs parks the dog must be on a leash all times.
Old April 1, 2009, 07:09 AM   #25
Nnobby45

Quote:
Human life vs. canine is basically a no brainer, but..........
Would I just have to watch as a stranger on my property shoots my dog down while doing what she's supposed to do by protecting my/her property?
Stranger on what property? Your back yard at 2am where you'd have a reasonable fear that the intruders' propensity for violence could soon include you? Could your lawyer make the case for you being in reasonable fear of your life.

Depending on the circumstances, not sure the dog alone would qualify as justified, especially if your dog attacked the stranger. Then again, I'm no lawyer, and I have more questions than answers.

And of course, if he tried to shoot your dog, and you tried to shoot him, then there could be bullets travelling both ways.

I'd suspect there have been some precedents regarding deadly force to protect a pet.

Last edited by Nnobby45; April 1, 2009 at 07:21 AM.
Closed Thread