The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 14, 2009, 11:12 PM   #1
BOWENA

Powder Burn marks on shell cases

I have a Puma Lever action Rifle; .45 Colt, used, but new to me.
Every fired shell case has a powder burns on one side. Does this indocate a problem in the Rifle's chamber?
Old March 14, 2009, 11:20 PM   #2
radom

No, that just indicates that its a .45 colt. That huge case tends to not seal unless its a really hot load.
Old March 20, 2009, 09:59 AM   #3
TEDDY

45 trapper

I gota new win94 trapper and it covered the whole case.tried other loads,sent it back to win and they replaced barrel.new one was better but not perfect.but I kept it.I think they used old spec rather than new.old one
was for the .454 bullet.now its .451.you can tell by moving the case in chamber or measuring it.
Old March 20, 2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Joat

I've shot cowboy action shooting for about 8 years and EVERY 45 colt lever action rifle that I have had, shot, or seen has left some soot/powder burns on the case when used with light loads. The only time I got clean brass out of my marlin 1895 was when I took it deer hunting and use heavy hunting loads.

The light(er) loads used most of the time do not generate enough pressure to swell the case and prevent the gas from blowing back into the action.

joat
Old March 22, 2009, 04:03 PM   #5
dutchy

A fellow member of my club investigated this one side blackening phenomena.
He found out that this one side blackening is a sure indicator of not totally perpendicular cut cases. This means that the case does not have the same length all over the circumference.
I tend to believe him.
Old March 22, 2009, 04:05 PM   #6
zxcvbob

What brand of brass are you using? Don't use Starline brass for light loads, use RP or Winchester.
Old March 22, 2009, 07:58 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is light loads. .38 Special will do the same thing with light loads of slow burning powder. Usually a little more powder or a switch to faster burning powder will solve the problem.

Jim
Old March 25, 2009, 07:17 AM   #8
BOWENA

Winchester Cases, Unique Powder and they are on the low- starting side of the scale. I also have a wnchester 94 legacy .45. It occasionally, shows powder burns with the same load, but not always. This is very consistent- every fired case, that's why I was concerned. Thanks all.
Old March 25, 2009, 08:27 AM   #9
Joat

At least you know that your powder thrower is throwing a consistent charge.

joat