The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 1, 2014, 02:24 AM   #1
ZVP

Dangerous weapon!

Saw a peacemaker style short barrel revolver on the cover of GOW today. Trouble is the front of the trigger Guard had been cut off. Accident waiting to happen!!
Old trickto get you on the trigger fast.
I guesss people will buy anything eh?
Old December 1, 2014, 02:54 AM   #2
kwhi43

I used to be fast on the trigger. Why I was so fast that one day I got the gun to
go off while it was still in the holster! I had to work on my draw speed after that!
I used to be so fast that I could turn the light out and be in bed before the room
got completely dark!
Old December 1, 2014, 05:59 AM   #3
Old Stony

Had an muzzleloader friend once that tried fast draw with his percussion revolver. All the old guy is the club ended up calling him "Bloody Calf" after that and the name stuck. It ain't like in the movies with that stuff.
Old December 1, 2014, 06:17 AM   #4
trigger643

Removing the trigger guard was not an uncommon practice. It was a trade mark of Fitz Specials in the first half of the 20th Century. Some Texas Rangers were also known to have their 1911's modified in this manner.

Practice makes perfect... or not.
Old December 1, 2014, 07:36 AM   #5
44 Dave

Spur trigger?
I own and carry 4 derringers (not all at once) with spur triggers.
Old December 1, 2014, 07:59 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

I have heard stories from old family friends (now dead) telling of a an old "town character" that used to live in our town - he claimed to be a "cowboy" out west when young. One time, he proceeded to show his "fast draw" and "fan firing" with his Colt SAA to a bunch of impressive kids (this would have been in the 1920's). Only problem was, he drew and proceeded to "fan" his Colt but the only thing he accomplished was cocking the hammer. As he brought his hand back to fan it, he laid the palm of his hand wide open with the Colt's spur firing pin. That put the end to his exhibitions for the kids!

My own Dad had a good friend that he chummed around with who carried a Colt 45 SAA. He carried it everywhere and was quite proud of it - he worked as a county road commissioner. At a New Years Eve party at his house, everybody there started to pester him to show them his "fast draw". Of course they had been partaking of the spirits and were well lubed up. They were in the basement and so he pulled his coat- tail bak in gunfighter fashion and showed them all his "fast draw". Only problem was that once he cleared leather, he ended up firing it and putting a 45 Colt Long right smack dab through his furnace!

One thing you have to remember on the old SAA that had the trigger guard modified, you're talking a SA revolver - not a DA. It's uncocked in the holster or belt and by the time it's drawn, your thumb is cocking and your finger ready to pull the trigger - cut trigger guard or not. If you think of it that way, it's not quite as dangerous as a DA or a semi-auto that many are more familiar with today.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 2, 2014, 08:48 AM   #7
cheatin charlie

It just dawned on me why I would want the trigger guard cut away on a pistol.
Living up north where it is cold in the winter have you ever tried to shoot a
revolver with a glove on? You almost have to take your glove off to get your
finger in the trigger guard. So with the trigger guard cut away you could shoot
it easily with a glove on. I have seen pictures of those pistols for years but
only now did the light bulb go off in my mind. If my life depended on a revolver I believe I would have the trigger guard cut also.
Old December 2, 2014, 11:51 AM   #8
maillemaker

Quote:
I used to be so fast that I could turn the light out and be in bed before the room got completely dark!
LOL. This reminds me of when I was a kid. I was afraid of the dark. The thermostat for my wall heater was mounted next to my light switch over by the door to my room.

I took some fishing line with a hook on the end and a good sized sinker on the line. I hooked the hook over the light switch, and set the sinker on top of the thermostat box, and then ran the string over to my bed post.

I could get into bed, then pull the string, which made the sinker fall off the thermostat box, which then yanked the hook down, turning off the light switch.

And that was my Rube Goldburg machine for turning off the light after I had gotten into bed. I guess I was fast, too!

Steve
Old December 2, 2014, 05:32 PM   #9
davem

Bob Munden I think just used a regular Colt. I saw him shoot. Shot 5 or 6 rounds so fast the eye could not follow.

Check out: http://wn.com/fastest_gun_in_the_west_mr_bob_munden
Old December 2, 2014, 11:37 PM   #10
Gaucho Gringo

And some had the gun modified so it did not even need a trigger. Just pull the hammer back and let go to fire. Repeat as necessary.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old December 3, 2014, 12:53 AM   #11
45 Dragoon

Davem,
The only thing "regular" about Bob's Colt was the word "Colt" on it. His guns were highly modified to allow that kind of shooting. Notice I said "shooting" not abuse. If a gun isn't set up for it, it WOULD be abuse!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Old December 3, 2014, 01:10 PM   #12
brazosdave

honestly, with a single action, an absent trigger guard would not be so much of a safety issue. I don't shoot with gloves, so i don't have the necessity to cut mine. But hell, even the M16's i used in the army had it so you could drop down the trigger guard for cold weather use, although in 25 yrs, i never saw anyone do it.