The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2011, 12:50 PM   #1
silvercorvette

Tumbler warning

It has been a few years since I have reloaded and I am about to start again. I noticed a few people have mentioned the put the brass in a tumbler and walk away for a few hours.

I don't know if this has come up before but tumblers have been know to catch fire.

I have always put my tumblers in a place where they could burn but if they did catch fire they would be far enough away to not spread the fire to other combustibles.

Also never put the tumbler on carpet which could impede air flow and cause overheating.

I also emptied the tumbler outside to avoid getting dust in the house and I wore a mask to avoid breathing the dust
Old January 27, 2011, 02:35 PM   #2
700cdl

A good quality tumbler placed on a hard surface, is very safe from catching fire. It's common sense to not operate it on a cloth surface, actually anything but a hard surfact. I have an Ultra Vibe 10 and probably have thousands of hours on it. I don't know much about other brands, but the Ultra Vibe has an isolated motor, and is fan cooled.
Old January 27, 2011, 03:29 PM   #3
silvercorvette

I agree that mishaps are rear, but turning it on and walking away for 8 hours is risky. putting it on a concrete floor or outside on a porch eliminates the chance of burning down the house, why take a risk even if the risk is small?

I mentioned I have been away for reloading for a few years, but back then I remember reading about a few fires due to overheated tumblers
Old January 27, 2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

There's a smoke detector virtually over top of my tumbler (unintentionally), it's on a (relatively) fireproof countertop and I sleep like 8 feet from the room. I'm not real worried.
Old January 27, 2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Incognito

I've got the Harbor Freight Special but I only tumble for 2-3 hours max. Never understood the need to tumble for 8-12 hrs. Definitely agree on the non-carpeted surface for keeping the lower vent open; a solid surface probably effects performance as well. I'm guilty of emptying it indoors however (in the basement), perhaps I'll start doing this outside

The more I hear about wet tumbling with steel media, the more I'm looking to switch.
Old January 27, 2011, 05:00 PM   #6
serf 'rett

I put my little Thumler Tumbler in a plastic pan. Wonder if there's enough water in it to douse a motor fire? Sounds like I need to upgrade to the big Thumler.

Was wondering if there was any connection between some of the fires and the additives put into the media?
Old January 27, 2011, 05:26 PM   #7
pbratton

I use a plug in Christmas light timer. I set it to run for 2 hours when it gets dark. Turn out the light when I leave the room and it kicks on about 3 seconds later and runs for 2 hours. (unless the light gets turned on... Then it starts all over again.)
Old January 27, 2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Sid

I agree with Incognito. What is the point in tumbling brass for 8 hours? I never run mine for more than 2 hours and that is sufficient to get the cases clean enough for loading.
Old January 27, 2011, 08:37 PM   #9
brickeyee

The last major fire problem was traced to bad splice between motor leads and cord, not heat build up from running the tumbler long times.
Old January 27, 2011, 08:56 PM   #10
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Most concerns are solved by common sense. If one can afford a quality tumbler and practice not "throwing your toaster in the bathtub while you're in it", you'll be fine.

There are appliances/items in the household that present as much or more danger than a tumbler yet very rarely do we see people pulling it outside to use it...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 27, 2011, 09:01 PM   #11
Hog Buster

In over 50 years of reloading I have ran many tumblers for days on end. I’ve had them walk off tables, shake themselves to pieces, burn the motor out, or self-destruct in some other way, but none have ever caught fire. Or for that matter even smoked. Odds are that your clock radio, television, or computer will catch fire before your tumbler does.
Old January 27, 2011, 09:38 PM   #12
noylj

Tumbling, like gun cleaning, should be in the garage or outside.
Old January 27, 2011, 10:10 PM   #13
maillemaker

I have an industrial tumbler that I used for cleaning chainmail.

It's an $800 unit. I've run it for hours upon hours. The belt may break, but I doubt the electric motor is ever going to burst into flames.

I usually end up polishing my brass for 24 hours. I put them in the tumbler at night, go to bed, get up, go to work, come home, and then take the brass out. It's not that I want it to run that long, it's just that I can't get back to it any faster to take it out.
Old January 27, 2011, 10:41 PM   #14
silvercorvette

As I mentioned earlier I have been away from reloading a long time and about to start again. I didn't know if this has come up before but a few years ago there were threads reporting the dangers of tumbler fires and when I read about people that let them run for 8 hours unattended I thought it may be worthwhile to mention it.

In the past I have always did my tumbling in a garage with a concrete floor with nothing combustible within 4 to 5 feet.

In the past I have always dumped the brass outside while wearing a mask. It may be something that other people may want to consider.

Even if there is zero chance of anything bad happening I would still rather have the tumbler where the noise won't bother me.

I still have a lot of old brass that has been tumbled which should last for a while, but when I need more it will be done outside on my back porch.
Old January 27, 2011, 10:46 PM   #15
Ronbert

It's just good policy to be awake and in the vicinity of any machinery that's running.

I won't leave the house with dishwasher, washer or dryer running either.
Stuff can happen and it'll be a LOT worse if you aren't there to notice and stop it.
Old January 27, 2011, 10:56 PM   #16
silvercorvette

Quote:
It's just good policy to be awake and in the vicinity of any machinery that's running.

I won't leave the house with dishwasher, washer or dryer running either.
Stuff can happen and it'll be a LOT worse if you aren't there to notice and stop it.
Ditto, I also turn off the water main to the house if I am going to be away for more than a day
Old January 28, 2011, 08:58 AM   #17
mapsjanhere

Heretic, the powers to be on this board have declared tumblers fire proof even if adding flammable solvents to the media.
Old January 31, 2011, 10:13 PM   #18
Shawn F.

The way I see it, if it gives you a piece of mind to turn the tumbler off and have it outside then do so. I cannot say it will or will not happen but being in the fire department, I have seen many electronic fires such as computers, heating blankets, fans, etc that started the fire, Most people wouldn't think a computer or fan will start a fire but it's electronic, dust collects inside around the motor and if ran long enough and it's hot enough in the room, anything can happen.
I tumble in my house but I do not leave the tumbler unattended. Not for the reason of a fire but just because I do not tumble for more than 3 or 4 hours. Better to be safe than sorry I guess.