The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 15, 2012, 01:49 PM   #1
a.jensen5

Given an old Davis model D38 how safe?

Hi im new here and know very little about handguns. My situation is back in late 90s my mom was givin a 90s Davis model d38 by a friend from Las Vegas. The gun has a blue slip in the holster that says it was registered to her friend in the state of nevada. Well my mom gave it to me yesterday said she no longer wants it and doesnt even know how to load it says it makes her uncomfortable. Growing up I have fired it a few times its never had more then a 100 round box of ammo through it im only one to ever shoot it. Always cleaned and kept well.

My questions is this gun safe? I read a bit about Davis using zinc frames but could find very little about this gun, few ppl saying its safe and others saying its dangerous as it ages. Im hoping to get a clearer awenser as to if its safe and fine to fire. like i said ive shot it plenty and never had a problem. But it hasnt been fired since I moved out after highschool back in 05.

My second question, what should i do about the guns registration, she hasn't heard from him in yrs and he may have passed away he was diagnosed with cancer back in early 2000s. He used to call often then just stopped, can i get the gun registered to me or should i leave it alone. Just if for some reason i got in a situation someday and have someone say hey this guns registered to someone else in NV.

Any information about the gun or what i should do are greatly appreciated
Old December 15, 2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Hal

I have one in .22lr.
Fun gun to shoot. Not at all accurate though.

A gunsmith can check it over for you and tell you for sure if it's safe to shoot or not. Chances are if it closes and locks up tight, it's safe with standard .38spl.

Can't help you with the registration part. As far as I know, Nevada has no registration requirement, so, I don't know exactly what it is that you've got with that paperwork.
Old December 15, 2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Davis/Jennings/Lorcin/...

Junk.
Old December 15, 2012, 05:31 PM   #4
a.jensen5

Thank you Hal, anyone who can offer further detail would still be help full to be more specific the card in the holster is a little blue card that says Las Vegas sheriffs department firearm registration permit on it , then it has the old friends name and where he signed then another spot where looks like someone official signed. has serial of gun listed and a couple other numbers. Maybe something to do with a CC permit? Like i said I know almost nothing about hand guns or the permits that go wiht them.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Hal

Quote:
Davis/Jennings/Lorcin/...

Junk.
Opps...I did overlook mentioning that didn't I?
Yes - Davis is what you would call "junk".
I only paid $49.00 for mine years ago and have gotten my money's worth of fun out of it, so, I don't mind it being "junk".
Old December 16, 2012, 04:49 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
My questions is this gun safe?
A .38 derringer? Probably not, unless this is an unusual derringer.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Tags
d38 , derringer , registration , safety