The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2015, 10:19 AM   #1
Smokey Joe

Hornady Auto Charge Powder Scale/Dispenser...

Currently, Midway is offering a sale price on the Hornady Auto Charge Powder Scale & Dispenser. I'm tempted. Any comments on this device? How accurate is it? I have a perfectly good accurate RCBS Uniflow hand-cranked dispenser, also a Lyman #55 (which is better than the RCBS for small charges) and an Ohaus 505 scale--Is the Auto Charge a step up in accuracy, convenience, speed, less putzing??

Do I want to do this? Need to?

--Smokey Joe
Old April 3, 2015, 11:00 AM   #2
McShooty

I bought one about a year ago. They have generally been quite a bit less expensive than other brands, namely, RCBS. It takes a bit of finesse to get it going with the powder and charge weight that you want. This is because of a tendency to overshoot the entered weight, so you must simply dump the charge back in the hopper and try again. In most cases, the overshoot is maybe about .2 grain, so you might ignore it if you are not at max load weight. I do not like to ignore it; I want all charges to be the same. This tendency is more pronounced with stick, as opposed to ball powders, and it should not occur if the unit is properly leveled, but it does.

What I do is to support the unit on a 12" ceramic tile. I level by putting shims under the corners of the tile. I end up by having the unit tilt slightly to the rear, which minimizes the overshoot tendency without affecting the scale accuracy. Thus set up, the unit gives good accuracy and speed. Still a little putzing, however. Aside from the above comments, the quality of the unit is good.

Last edited by McShooty; April 3, 2015 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old April 3, 2015, 11:24 AM   #3
MEATSAW

Awesome reloading tool! If you take the time to adjust the speed/dispense settings it cures the overshoot problem regardless of powder type. The procedures for doing it are in the manual or you can google it. Once I got it set up right I have been nothing but happy with the performance and the ease of doing load work ups.
Old April 3, 2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Nathan

It has revolutionized my reloading experience! I can load rifle with 100% weighed charges progressively. It's amazing. You can load a ladder as fast as normal same weight reloading.

I would get check weights....mostly to ensure your confidence.

Pitch the balance on eBay. Lots of people want them, but you are done!
Old April 3, 2015, 03:23 PM   #5
1stmar

It's excellent, there are ways to "tune" the speed at which it throws charges and when it starts to trickle so you don't have many over charges. It's very accurate and consistent. Requires proper environmentals like all scales. Stable temp, solid level bench, no breeze..
Old April 5, 2015, 12:07 PM   #6
McShooty

Yes, I agree with all of these comments and I could have been a bit more enthusiastic in my praise if the unit. Ability to choose from different rates of powder dispensation is a very good feature that does help you limit the overshoots.
Old April 5, 2015, 12:18 PM   #7
Smokey Joe

Gracias!

Thank you one & all for your comments and insight!!

--Smokey Joe
Old April 5, 2015, 12:53 PM   #8
Reloader270

I know of people with the Automatic Powder Dispensers who still use a Uniflow or the Lyman 55 along with it. This really speed them up. I simply do not trust those Electronic Dispensers, but I know I am from the old school. I throw each load with a Hand Powder Measure like RCBS Uniflow, Lyman 55 or Harrel Benchrest to just under the weight and then I tickle it up. My scale is at eye level for accuracy. My reloading is a fraction longer than those guys with the electronic dispensers, but I know I can trust them.