The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 2, 2005, 07:30 PM   #1
pdh

Spotting Scopes?

I'm am wanting to get the best spotting scope that I can afford.
Basically....I want it for spotting 22cal to 30cal bullet hits on paper targets from 200 yards and beyond....maybe for spotting for varmint hunting. maybe go out West for elk someday also.

I am willing to pay up to the $250.00 range.

The Burris Landmark series first caught my eye...with the 15-45x60m and the 20-60x80m. But they only have a year warranty..not water or fog proof. So I am not to sure on these.

Like I said....want it basically for range work.....long range work.

Please help me help out with some info on different brands of spotting scopes.

Thanks
Old June 2, 2005, 08:04 PM   #2
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, for really long range work, you might want to look into an astronomy telescope. I bought a cheapie Tasco spotting scope years back and it was OK up to about 100 yds. It also takes about 3 suns in the sky to see through it. A couple of years ago I got into amateur astronomy and bought a Meade ETX-90 scope. Well I got the bright idea to try it on the range, and lo and behold, you can see .22 hits on a plain paper target at up to 500 yds! Also very short and compact, thanks to Schmitt Cassigraine (Sp?) optical system, but not something that you could pack hunting. Just a thought.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 6, 2005, 02:18 PM   #3
H&K Fan

Do you recall the approximate price the Meade was?
Old June 6, 2005, 02:29 PM   #4
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I just checked the Discovery Channel Store's catalog and the ETX-90-AT is $545. That's a newer version of mine with extra goodies included. I suspect that you could find the ETX-90-EC in the basic package for around half that. Check eBay. By the way, the ETX series has motorized drive for train and elevation, which makes fine adjustments a snap. If you don't want to go that route, Celestron makes a nice, very bright table top spotting scope with 30X-90X magnification for around a hundred bucks. I'm not sure how well that would work at 200+ meters though.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie

Last edited by Capt. Charlie; June 6, 2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old June 6, 2005, 04:27 PM   #5
Jim Watson

I ordered a Burris Landmark and sent it back; dim and foggy.
I think the best spotting scope in the $250 price range is the Bushnell Spacemaster.
But I gritted my teeth and bought a Kowa. My only regret is I didn't dig even deeper and get a bigger one.
Picking bullet holes out of the black at more than 200 yards is going to be difficult with any scope, although you can do pretty well with white or light/bright colors per Captain C.
Old June 6, 2005, 07:59 PM   #6
bergie

Check out telescopes.com and look in their closout/overstock section for both telescopes and spotting scopes. They have the Meade AT90 series and AT 70 series both with autodrives for astronimical use or as spottoing scopes. The 70's are decent little scopes for $250, comes with an autodrive and 2 eyepieces. You would also need an image erector prism for about another $50. They have the 90 series for about $400.
Actually they have a lot of neat stuff, riflescopes, binoculars, rangefinders, etc.
HTH
bergie
Old June 6, 2005, 08:25 PM   #7
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Bergie! I completely forgot to mention the prism. Without it, the images are reversed, left to right. Only thing I would add is, whatever make or model, be sure the optical system is Schmidt-Cassegrain. This is a relatively new reflector design that allows for exceptionally high quality optics at a very reasonable price. I won't post the specifics, but prior to these scopes, a telescope with the same technical specifications as the EXT-90 cost more than $3000.! (which is why I'm only now getting into astronomy )

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 7, 2005, 04:14 PM   #8
bill k

I picked up a Barska ? to 55 pwr at Big 5 for $99.00 on sale. The list price was $299.00. I'd looked at several that had been on sale earlier and wasn't impressed with the clarity. The manager told me the approxamate time the Barska would be on sale and it would be worth my while to wait. For the money it's a great spotting scope. I'm able to see clearly 22 cal to 200 yards and 338 cal out to 300 yards. Anything farther I use a gong and don't need it.
It has a limited lifetime warrenty, whatever that means.
Bill
Old June 7, 2005, 05:10 PM   #9
rangermonroe

I bought a $85 "winchester" in a hard case with a tripod. 20-60x.

Amazingly, my 10x simmons can "see" bulletholes that the 60x cannot.

At the low end, you get what you pay for...
Old June 8, 2005, 09:38 PM   #10
pdh

Thanks for the replies....

A guy I work with is letting me try out his Burris Landmark 15-40x60mm.

He wants $125.00 for it with a soft case and nice tripod. He said it was not used much.

Had it out at the range today....it was ok...but not that much better than my buddies Tasco spotting scope.

Still scratching my head over it....$125.00 dollars seems to be a good deal in my opinion.....I don't know...still have over a week to make up my mind.

Thanks
Old June 8, 2005, 10:34 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Don't jump into something you'll regret later, and get something that won't do the job. Patience, save your pennies, and wait for what you want. It'll come.

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 8, 2005, 11:20 PM   #12
siotwo

Save save save and buy one great scope rather than a $200 now, a $300 in 3 years and then a $500....you get the idea.

Quality is the key in optics. Unfortunately, with high quality brings a higher price. $125 is OK for you buddies, but you will be wanting a higher quality later. I guarantee it.

An example on rifle scopes: My inlaws were putting $80 bushnell scopes on their $400 rifles. Fine, unless you really want to see what your missing. I showed them my Leupold VXIII, side by side, in a field situation.....now they look through their own Leupold! The same story can be told over rifle scopes, binocular, and spotting scopes. Heck, even range finders optics are better in a Leica (sp) than most others, but you pay for it.

Spend as much as you are comfortable with, but do buy the best you can afford.

The quality will remain long after the price is forgotten.
Old June 9, 2005, 04:22 PM   #13
pdh

Anyone out there have experiences with the Alpen Series spotting scopes?

I heard nothing but good stuff on these. OutdoorLife rated these scopes the best for the money.

I am going to look at a 15-45x60mm tomorrow.

Price is $159.00 plus case and tripod.
Fog Proof, water proof and limited life time warranty.
Old June 9, 2005, 05:10 PM   #14
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I think that you're going to find that most spotting scopes in that price range share the same problems: dark optics (dim, requires LOTS of light), fall off or blurring around the edges, and generally poor resolution. I'm not familiar with that brand of scopes, but the 60mm objective lens is only fair. It's only 10mm bigger than the objective lens on a varmit scope. 15x45 magnification will probably do you up to 200 yds, but no further than that, especially if you're tracking small caliber hits. Most spotting scopes are refractors, and are dim by their design. Reflectors are harder to find in spotting scopes (why, I have no idea), but the inherent design allows for MUCH brighter optics, higher magnification, and better resolution. I still think you'd be better off looking in that direction. Here's a link to a Celestron spotting scope that should do everything you'll ever need for around $200. I have some experience with Celestron products and they make good stuff.

http://telescopes.com/products/Celes...Mak_25825.html

The next link is also a Celestron (Nope, I don't work for them ) in the $100. range.

http://telescopes.com/products/Celes...5mm_25821.html

This is a 30-90x65mm scope. I'm sure you noticed I'm not overjoyed with the 60mm objective above, and I'm praising a 65mm. Not much difference, you say? The difference is that the 60mm you're interested in is a refractor, and the Celestron 65mm is a reflector using Maksutov-Cassegrain optics. There is a HUGE difference. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck, and let us know how you make out.

Darn it! One more edit here: There is a down side to the reflectors. They are not as sturdy as the refractors, and are not waterproof, but they're not wimpy either, and with proper care, should last you a lifetime. That's it, I'm done now.

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 9, 2005, 07:03 PM   #15
pdh

Thank you very much Capt Charlie...really appreciate the help

Yeah....I'll let you know
Old June 13, 2005, 09:05 PM   #16
pdh

Capt Charlie..........

For my specific needs as of now.......I have on order the Alpen 15-45x60mm spotting scope. For spotting targets...mainly from 100yds to 200yds this will be all I need for that and it will be fairly compact enough to take with me for some varmint hunting

From the reviews I have went through on spotting scopes...the Alpens got the nods...........
Also....a friend recommended the Alpen and he is really impressed with his.The burris is nice...but with the Alpen...I have a limited life time warranty....it is shockproof...waterproof...nitrogen filled also.

Again......thank you for all the info....really appreicate everything.
Old June 13, 2005, 10:17 PM   #17
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear you found what you were looking for. Don't forget to give us a range report; I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Alpen.

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 13, 2005, 10:53 PM   #18
pdh

Will do...
Old June 22, 2005, 12:41 PM   #19
brokenfeather

spotting scope celestron

Capt Charlie
The next link is also a Celestron (Nope, I don't work for them ) in the $100. range.

http://telescopes.com/products/Cele...65mm_25821.html

Do you think that the above scope would be capable of spotting a .22 cal bullet hole in paper at 200 yards clearly? Just tried a 20X60X 60 bushnell it was a no go at that range. As has been stated very dark and not very clear.
Thanks for any in help.
Don
Old June 22, 2005, 01:16 PM   #20
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Don! The link you gave didn't go to any one particular scope, but if you meant this one....

http://www.telescopes.com/products/C...5mm_25821.html

....I'm guessing that it would be marginally adequate. The optics in these scopes are MUCH brighter than standard spotting scopes, and at 90X will do much better than the one you tried. Still, spotting a hole less than 1/4 inch in diameter at 200 yds. is a tall order. I think it would work (remember, I have no personal experience with this particular scope), but I think you're probably going to have to squint some, too .

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 22, 2005, 11:02 PM   #21
brokenfeather

Thank you Capt Charlie for you honest opinion.
I have to squint alot already so at least that won't be anything new. I'm going to do some more research before I buy something.
Don
Old June 23, 2005, 12:54 PM   #22
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Brokenfeather

No problem. I would be curious to see what you finally settle on, and of course... a range report on how you like it.

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 27, 2005, 09:59 AM   #23
pdh

Captain Charlie

Hey......
I had my 15-45x60mm Alpen spotting scope to the range yesterday...spotting hits from my 22-250 at 200yds.
I will say...I am very impressed with the clarity and brightness of the view. Targets were on white...but the image was so sharp and clear.
It is way better than the Burris Landmark scope I was trying out.

Very satisfied............

If anybody out there looking for scope....just give the Alpen a look.

Thanks
Old June 27, 2005, 12:11 PM   #24
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

pdh

Thanks for the heads up, and I'm glad you like it. I confess that I didn't think you'd be able to see small caliber holes at long distance very well with the Alpen, but I'm glad I was wrong. Now to see what BrokenFeather comes up with .

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 27, 2005, 01:37 PM   #25
pdh

Capt Charlie.....the targets I was using was on white paper....targets I made at home.
I have not checked it out on targets with black back ground......yet
I cranked it up to 45x and I was amazed at the clarity......clear as a bell.