The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 29, 2013, 10:05 PM   #1
deerslayer303

? on Dynamit Nobel

I ventured out into the country yesterday to a mom and pops Grocery, I was told about. Its in the middle of nowhere. Basically an old large gas station with a FULL BLOWN Gun Shop . I felt like I stepped back in time 50 years. No one there but the husband and wife. Just awesome! Have I told you I LOVE TN? Anyway they have everything I'll ever need to support my hobby. They had Dynamit Nobel No. 1081FL musket caps in there. I bought all 8 containers that they had (4.95 ea.) These caps don't have the 4 wings on them like I'm used to with the CCI's. Are these the same size? I haven't tried one on my rifles yet. I have musket nipples on my rifles. I just like them better because the caps are bigger.
Old January 30, 2013, 05:08 AM   #2
Hawg

They're the same. I use RWS 1081's but mine are flanged.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:55 AM   #3
maillemaker

Good find on the Wingless - yes, they are about half the price of the winged caps. They are about $40/1000 whereas winged are around $70/1000. Unfortunately, they have been discontinued.

Steve
Old January 30, 2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Logan5579

+1 what Hawg said,
they are the same and I use the unflanged on my rifle too. They look like a giant #11 cap and they blow out into a nice 4 sided star when you shoot em
Old January 30, 2013, 09:26 AM   #5
deerslayer303

Thanks again guys. I wasn't sure I had never seen them before. So the are discontinued? I'm glad I bought all they had then.
Old January 30, 2013, 01:31 PM   #6
maillemaker

Yes, they are discontinued. My understanding is they were used as a primer in some kind of inline muzzle loading firearm, but it was not popular or was discontinued so there was no reason to continue it for that purpose, and it was not popular enough for muzzle loading to justify continuing to make it.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:06 PM   #7
deerslayer303

Oh ok, These were probably used for the MLE 1866 Chassepot Needle Gun. It shoots a paper cartridge with the cap in the back of the paper and all, the bullet stick out of the front of the paper. Just imagine a 45-70 cartridge instead of a brass case its paper. Its a weird animal. Its bolt action and all.