The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 9, 2011, 07:35 PM   #1
ZVP

Love that sound!

Today I took my Piettia Police Model out to the range but instead of shooting on the usual Pistol range, I went over to the Black Powder range and shot her off without ear protection. The discharge wasn't very disturbing to the ear but it had it's own distinctive sound!
The roof covering the pistol range bounces sounds back at you and even CB Caps sound loud! The open air enviornment of the BP Range invites bare ear shooting and it really isn't all that loud!
The Black Powder boom of the revolver sure sounded GOOD! I can see why people felt well armed with the little .31's as I am sure they had a good Boom and belieing the real power of the .31 sound can fool you!
Now the real power of a .36 is a real boon and is roughly twice as powerfull. Real power can be had with it's bore diameter, velocity, and ball weight!
A REAL power increase is there with the .36 and I must admit the light recoiling caliber is quite impressive when shot at inatament objects!
Besides the obvious power of the .36 it's supposed to have a real advantage as an anti-personell load. It is reported to anchor people well!
Real world Civil War and Shootout evidence indicates that the round ball in this caliber is a preformer!
So, besides an impressive "crack", the caliber evidentlly packs some whollop also! I hope I never have to find out if it preforms on foe so I will be very content on shooting this revolver "out in the open" more often! I was really impressed with it!
I have shot my .44's in the open and the 36 is not as loud but has an athoritive Boom to it!
ZVP
Old October 9, 2011, 08:16 PM   #2
swopjan

sounds like fun! i bought a pair of Police Models the other day off gunbroker, can't wait for them to get here and start speaking with a drawl!

don't have a .31 yet, going to wait for another few paydays and keep browsing gunbroker for deals. may take a while to find it, but there's always something.
Old October 9, 2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Legionnaire

Much as I like my BP revolvers, I can't recommend shooting them ... or any firearm, for that matter ... without hearing protection. Hope that's not something you live to regret.
Old October 9, 2011, 09:27 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Does anybody have access a device to measure the discharge of a black powder firearm? It would be interesting to learn what decibel a 20, 30, 40 grain loaded revolver is. Also a 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70 grain loaded rifle (45, 50, 54 and .577/578 cal) would be.

I regularly wear hearing and eye protection, but there have been times when I have been caught by surprise.
Old October 10, 2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Hawg

I've shot my .36's without hearing protection and it didn't bother me in the slightest but then my hearing is pretty bad already.
Old October 10, 2011, 05:06 PM   #6
zullo74

Not a good idea at all.
Old October 10, 2011, 07:52 PM   #7
B.L.E.

I won't even pop caps on the nipples without hearing protection anymore. I've lost enough of my hearing.
Old October 10, 2011, 09:59 PM   #8
Shotput79

Hay ZVP

I have to say I use the ear muffs on everything rem fire and center fire. When it come's to bp firearms on a new revolver or rifle I use them to learn the trigger pull and when my gun is going to go boom that's it I don't use them any more for those firearms. If I go to a range that's a different story cause the rifle or revolver is on either side of me that's when it gets to me and that's when I use my ear muffs. I have to say I love the sound of bp firearms to. BOOM. How about on a cool damp morning and the smoke just hangs around. Out in the back of the house I have had it so smoky that it was hard to see the house. Love it man, Love it.
Old October 11, 2011, 03:53 AM   #9
Hawg

My .44's make my ears ring so I use them on those but the .36's don't.
Old October 11, 2011, 10:11 PM   #10
ZVP

A .44 has a deeper tone! I shoot my .44 Navy replica Brasser with 20 gr of powder but it still has that unique throaty .44 sound! I guess the bore has a lot to do with the pitch of the sound.
I have never herd anyone shoot conicals. I wonder do they have a different sound? More backpressure on the conical...
ZVP
Old October 12, 2011, 04:16 AM   #11
Hawg

I generally use 30 grains in .44's and 25 in 36's.