The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 1, 2014, 10:17 AM   #1
wogpotter

MD new ID regs for gun purchases.

I thought I'd share this little shocker with you who still have to linger & suffer in MD.

As of today there is a new restriction on all new MD state driver's licenses. Any license with an "A" restriction, can no longer be used for ID in any firearms-related transaction. Why you might get an "A" restriction has not been disclosed officially.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 1, 2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Your information is incorrect. This is not a restriction on all new licenses.

That appears to relate to provisional renewals under specific circumstances:

Quote:
If you held a valid Maryland driver's license prior to June 1, 2009, you do not have a social security number, and your license has not expired more than one (1) year, you will be able to renew without additional documentation, or without proof of Maryland tax filing and no appointment will be required.

You can renew your license at any MVA Branch Office, online or at a MVA Kiosk.
You will receive an expiration of 5 to 8 years (the validity period is determined by a computer generated selection process.)
You will have a "U" restriction, "Not acceptable for Federal Purposes" and a "A" restriction, "May not be used to purchase a fire arm"
There is a difference between a Code A license, which is the general noncommercial license, and an "A" restriction.
Old January 1, 2014, 05:26 PM   #3
wogpotter

I think you misunderstand. What I meant was that all new licenses MAY have an "A" added to them as a restriction, not that all would have the "A" added.

I'm specifically referring to this:
"
Quote:
a "A" restriction, "May not be used to purchase a fire arm"
" which I got from your post & from the Maryland MDA.
Let me see if I can get the .PDF to post here.

Nope it won't post. I can e-mail it to you if you can post a .PDF file. Here is the text copied from it though in the interim.

Quote:
From: "William J Rasinski -State Police-" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:26pm

Please view the attached document reference changes made by the Motor Vehicle Administration.

As many of you may be aware Maryland Driver's Licenses contain restrictions. The MVA has three restrictions that directly deal with residency. These restrictions are "T", "U" and "A".
The restrictions "T" and "U" have been in use since June 1, 2009.
The "T" restriction on the License denotes that the License is only valid for a limited term. This length of time is based on the License holder's lawful status.
example: seasonal employees.
The "U" restriction on the License denotes that the License is "Not Acceptable For Federal Purposes".
example: When the federal government requests a form of identification this license will not meet those requirements.

New Restriction!!!!

The "A" restriction is new, and is used to denote that this license may not be used as a form of identification for the purchase of a firearm. Please be aware that this restriction will begin to appear on or after January 1, 2014. Licenses with this restriction can not be used for any reason, when purchasing a firearm.

If you have any questions reference these restriction please feel free to contact us at [email protected] or 410-653-4621

Maryland State Police
Licensing Division Services
1111 Reisterstown Road
Pikesville, Maryland 21208
Office - 410-653-4621
My emphasis.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”