The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 20, 2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Holartic

NRA Ballot 2013

I found two separate lists for "suggested" NRA votes, neither list matches exactly, I am not sure which one to trust. Any thoughts?

http://www.longislandfirearms.com/fo...-ballot-issue/

SASI’s and NCFGA’s joint recommendations, in alphabetical order, are:

Allbaugh, Joe M.,
Bachhuber, Frank E., Jr.,
Bambery, Carol,
Barr, Bob,
Blunt, Matt,
Brownell, Pete,
Butz, Dave,
Childress, Richard,
Craig, Larry E.,
Froman, Sandra S.,
Hammer, Marion P.,
Hill, Graham
Howard, Susan,
Kollitides, George,
Malone, Karl A.,
North, Ollie L.,
Nugent, Johnny,
Nugent, Ted,
Sanders, Robert E.,
Schreiner, Steven C.
and
Young, Don E.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_32/519789_.html

Arfcom-Approved:

Carol Bambery
Bob Barr
Matt Blunt
Pete Brownell - Founder of Brownells.com, ARF site sponsor.
Dave Butz
Sandra S. Froman
Graham Hill
Tom King - President of the NYSRPA, and ARFCom member.
Oliver North
Johnny Nugent
Ted Nugent
Lance Olson
Willie J. Robertson
Steve Schreiner - Colorado gun rights activist.
Dwight D. Van Horn

Naughty List:

Larry Craig
Joaquin Jackson
Karl Malone

Last edited by Holartic; March 22, 2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old March 20, 2013, 08:43 AM   #2
adamc

Joaquin Jackson has been discussed here many times...

I sent my ballot in a day after I received it..

I believe the elections are in June ? wew ill see
who is the "new' NRA

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old March 21, 2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

Larry Craig is very pro-Second Amendment and has represented that cause well in the Senate many times. He was apparently included on AR15.com's "naughty list" because he used federal campaign funds in his defense against sex charges several years ago. Craig is fighting with the government over whether that is legal. To be honest, I think his inclusion on that list has nothing to do with his take on the Second Amendment and everything to do with the accusations he might be gay.

Karl Malone apparently was quoted as saying the following in an interview:
Quote:
"Malone is hardly anti-gun. An avid hunter, Malone even has been a spokesman for the National Rifle Association. But he rejects the argument that athletes need guns for protection.

"I think it's just a smoke screen, just an easy reason to say you want a gun," Malone said.

While Malone supports the constitutional right to bear arms, he said he is skeptical of the average athlete's mentality when it comes to firearms.

"Everybody sticks their chest out now when they have a firearm on them," Malone said, mocking the thought process of the common athlete. "'I come up from the hard part of the streets, the mean streets, and I need my gun and all of that?' Come on, please, enough of that already. We're tired of that."

Steven C. Schreiner runs every year and is never endorsed by the nominating committee; but is often endorsed by guys like Neal Knox and other more hardline pro-Second groups. If you are of the view that the NRA is too compromising, he would be a choice.

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; March 21, 2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
To be honest, I think his inclusion on that list has nothing to do with his take on the Second Amendment and everything to do with the accusations he might be gay.
There's plenty not to like about Mr. Craig --his sexual orientation is irrelevant. He plea-bargained the original lewd conduct charges down to disorderly conduct, pled guilty to that, then tried to reverse his plea. The judge rejected that attempt.

As you point out, he is now in hot water over having used campaign funds for his defense in that case. He is being sued by the Federal Election Commission for the return of those funds. According to this story from the Associated Press, he admits to doing so, but says it was justified because the trip to the airport bathroom "fell under his official duties as senator because he was traveling between Idaho and Washington for work, and therefore the legal fees could be paid for with campaign money."

Suffice it to say that the judge isn't impressed with this line of reasoning.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:40 AM   #5
Rembrandt

Duck Dynasty's Willie Robertson gets my vote.....
Old March 22, 2013, 08:23 AM   #6
Skans

+1 to what Vanya said. Larry Craig has been marginalized by his own actions. I don't see how he can any longer be effective in helping the NRA or gun owners.
Old March 22, 2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Bartholomew Roberts

If we are going to use that standard for elections, then Oliver North has no business on the Board of Directors either. And Oliver North isn't a sitting Senator, so he just brings the scandal without the juice. Yet North didn't make the "naughty list" based on that reasoning and Craig did?

For that matter, Bob Barr isn't a stranger to sexual scandals while elected and he didn't make the list either.

Don't get me wrong. All three men have been outstanding proponents of the Second Amendment. It just seems only one of them qualified for the "naughty list" based on the opinion of the single guy at AR15.com who compiled the list.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:45 AM   #8
Holartic

Since the NRA has, in the distant and/or recent past supported gun control, picking out the nominees is like sorting though the best of the worst.

A posting comment from the JPFO said that Ted Nugent is in favor of NFA 1934. If you want a candidate that wants to end "gun control" as an intellectual argument the choices can be tough.

Since it is harder to determine which candidates might support any type of gun control I would rather put aside personal shortcomings/scandals if it means the candidate is actively interested in supporting absolutely no form of gun control.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Skans

Quote:
If we are going to use that standard for elections, then Oliver North has no business on the Board of Directors either. And Oliver North isn't a sitting Senator, so he just brings the scandal without the juice. Yet North didn't make the "naughty list" based on that reasoning and Craig did?
Weather you agree with what North did or not, he is viewed as the person who "took one for the team" - if anything, loyal to a fault. In my eyes, Larry Craig is no Oliver North.
Old March 22, 2013, 01:38 PM   #10
SPEMack618

It's really hard to compare a scandal concerning illictly supplying weapons to anti-Communist guerillas to a lewd conduct charge.

I'm a little bias cause I got Ollie to sign his book when he came to the big sandbox, though.

This is the first year I've gotten to vote, and I'm excited to see the results come June.

I told Pops that any time I can contribute to the possibility of the Duck Commander and Ollie being in the same room, it is a great day for America.