The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Beau Bo

working up a load - how hot should I test

I'm working up a load for my CZ. I'm having to reduce the COL quite a bit from what my book load specifies so it will fit.

I'm at a COL of 1.055, using Missouri 125gr LRN (small ball) and W231. I'm starting at 3.2 gr and working up to 4.2 gr.

Question is how hot should I make my loads when figuring out a new load? Should I keep loading rounds with slightly more powder (work up to 4.4, 4.6 etc.) and then, starting low, see how the rounds behave? I guess my question boils down to - when working up a round how do you know when its too hot other than looking for problems with the spent cases. Is there some way to calculate what may be too hot before I hit the range?

Thanks...
Old March 29, 2012, 09:51 PM   #2
dmazur

Caliber?
Old March 29, 2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Beau Bo

Sorry - 9mm
Old March 29, 2012, 10:04 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

Honestly, I quit once I find a charge that cycles my pistol reliably and gives me good accuracy. And since almost all of my shooting is done offhand while standing, the accuracy requirement isn't particularly stringent.
Old March 29, 2012, 10:17 PM   #5
dmazur

Quote:
I'm having to reduce the COL quite a bit from what my book load specifies so it will fit.
Is the book load for Missouri Bullets 125gr LRN? That bullet profile isn't the same as the typical 115gr LRN. From the Missouri Bullets site, it looks like the bullet has a more blunt profile.

I can't find load data for that bullet on line...

Yes I can. Just took a little more time -

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480201

Seems like a good answer in the above thread.

Last edited by dmazur; March 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old March 29, 2012, 10:27 PM   #6
deadwolfarms

Becouse your col is way short your pressure will be much greater so stay on the low end
I dont have a cz but why must your rounds be shorter do you have an issue with factory ammo
Old March 29, 2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

Loading that short is going to increase pressure. I think you might be in the right range to start out. You probably should test only those to see what you get before trying to go higher. Anything above 4.4 will probably not be something you want to try or if you do check closely for over pressure signs. At the top end it is probably going to spike on you. I would think you low end probably should be around 3.4 or 3.5 grains to cycle the CZ. I'm guessing you are using a full size 75. I know my 75 compact will allow me to cycle lighter loads then I can get away with in a Beretta or Sig. W231 is normally good for low to mid range loads. I have found using W231 powder I got my best results by finding the lowest amount of powder that I could get good groups with and then adding 0.1 grains of powder to have it burn a little cleaner.

You in the end will be probably the best judge of what works for you. I'm surprised you couldn't get you CZ to work with a 1.100 or 1.120 OAL. I prefer to load as long as I can reliably get the round to cycle my pistols. I know I tend to load a little shorter to make then also cycle in the CZ.
Old March 30, 2012, 08:16 AM   #8
CS86

For the 9mm. Has anyone noticed the difference in max loading between hornady and other books? I feel like hornady's max is below max compared to other books. Is it because there bullet can't withstand higher loads or are they shaped different enough to increase pressure more than others?

I find this is hard to decide what I should work up to with different bullets. I've been wanting to work up some Berry's HP. I can't seem to find a work up for Berry's so I use the other books as a reference, but there can be such a gap as to what is max between books.

Last edited by CS86; March 30, 2012 at 08:22 AM.