The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 16, 2008, 09:49 PM   #1
BryD216

Info on an old gun(The Sportsmen Cleveland)

Hey all. I was given a gun last year by my sister in laws grandfather and am trying to find any kind of information about it. All I can really say about it is that its a single shot shotgun,the length is approximately 22 inches. On the side is states THE SPORTSMEN CLEVELAND, and on the barrel is just states ELECTRO STEEL CHOKE BORED Patented August 12,1913. There is no serial number anywhere( it was before serial numbers were used). It's a nice gun and still fires just wondering if anyone has ever heard of it or if any info is available on it. Thanks
Old October 17, 2008, 12:02 PM   #2
oletymer

I don't know about the single shot models but the sxs were made by Stevens and Savage.
Old December 13, 2008, 11:56 PM   #3
MongoColorado

I've also got an old hammered SxS that just says "CLEVELAND" on one of the side plates. Same thing? Any ideas on where to get a replacement stock?
Old December 14, 2008, 01:43 AM   #4
zippy13

BryD216
Quote:
All I can really say about it is that its a single shot shotgun, the length is approximately 22 inches.
Just to make sure, are you talking about a sawed-off gun that's 22 inches overall, or the barrel length is 22 inches? It makes a big difference. Perhaps you can post a pic.

MongoColorado
Greetings and welcome aboard.
Same thing: a pic would be helpful.
Old December 14, 2008, 08:57 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Harley's book says Sportsman was used on Crescent firearms as a trade name for W Bingham of Cleveland OH on shotguns.

HTH.....