The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 19, 2004, 04:33 PM   #1
halffast59

Newbie question on LH rifle.

I see that black powder rifles are listed as optional LH. I assumed that meant "left hand", however when I go to parts list, only difference I see in parts is the barrel showing LH as a different barrel. Exactly what does LH mean and what are the benefits?
Thanks
Old November 19, 2004, 05:45 PM   #2
Jim Watson

A traditional muzzleloading black powder rifle is a complete mirror image in left hand. The lock is on the left and the barrel is made with the flashhole or nipple on the left side to match. Keeps the fire out of your face if you are a southpaw.

I don't know what might be meant by left hand on a modern mutant.
Old November 21, 2004, 09:24 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Modernly left handed flintlocks have left handed locks and sideplates and stocks. Traditionally, if you were a southpaw, the stock would be set up for you but the lock was righthanded. The exception is if you were rich enough for a gunsmith to make you a lock and there were some left handed guns made in the days of the olde.

BTW, I took my first class on how to make a flintlock because I couldn't find anyone to make a southpaw one for me. Now I have a couple.