The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2012, 08:31 PM   #1
jwrowland77

Some Observations; Getting ready for first loads

As I am getting ready to reload my first rounds trying to figure out what my OAL will be I decided to check the weight on my bullets and check the OAL on some Wwb that I have on hand. I went through all 100 rounds checking the OAL since I know they will all cycle through my Walther PPS 9mm. The OALs ranged anywhere from 1.1575-1.1645. I think I will be going with the 1.1645 since it was the longest I found in the box.

I also weighed 100 bullets just to check and see what the range was. The weights of the bullets that I ordered (Winchester 115 FMJ) for reloading ranged from 114.0-115.3. Now, since these are the bullets that I will be reloading, would anyone on here sort by weights for consistency or just grab a bullet out of the box and reload it?

Any and all comments welcome and appreciated.
Old March 31, 2012, 09:36 PM   #2
mrawesome22

Grab and load. Unless you are trying to break world records or something in stock competition.

But if you were, I doubt you would be here asking us fools
Old March 31, 2012, 11:12 PM   #3
dmazur

Since you've noticed the weight variation in typical bullets can be at least 1 gr, you can probably extend that to conclude that weighing completed pistol rounds to check for a dangerous over-charge would be pointless...the brass varies in weight as well.

(I thought I'd toss that out as a "preemptive strike"... )
Old March 31, 2012, 11:21 PM   #4
jwrowland77

Dmazur, actually I snipped the end off of a dowel rod and put it in an empty case, marked a line. Once I put powder in it, I'll mark another line. I figured if I can see two line, or the second line is way over then I need to recharge it. I'll do one for each powder.
Old March 31, 2012, 11:43 PM   #5
cheezhed

I suggest taking your time and developing a routine and use a powder that meters well like 231 or something similar and check every case for a double load. I do not know what caliber you are loading for or what type of press you are using but get a manual for the bullet you are using,work in a well lit area that is free of any distractions and don't work when tired.
Old March 31, 2012, 11:43 PM   #6
dmazur

What you are describing is a "powder cop" die, or an approximation of one.

Typically used in a progressive press station, directly after the powder charge.

While I can't say your homemade tool is wrong, it is a little different than standard practice for batch reloading.

I believe it is more common to use a powder measure to throw charges by volume into cases in a reloading block. A careful visual inspection for missing/double charges is done before bullet seating.

If the cases are arranged in a reloading block, the powder level is readily observed.

Some periodically throw a "check charge" to see if the powder measure is still behaving in a uniform manner by weighing the charge with a scale. I think there is no standard interval, but I like to do this after every box of 50 for pistol, and 20 for rifle.
Old April 1, 2012, 08:45 AM   #7
jwrowland77

Ah ok. I had been doing some research and saw the dowel rod thing and thought to myself, that it was a pretty good idea to try and be as safe as possible.

Did anyone else get nervous about something happening, like the gun blowing up or something like that, even though you follow everything to a "T" when you did your first reloads?

I do have two manuals along with The ABCs of reloading that I am reading as well.
Old April 1, 2012, 08:53 AM   #8
jwrowland77

cheezhed, I actually have two manuals (most recent Hornady and most recent Sierra) that I have been reading and plan on getting a third (most recent Speer). I completely understand the no distractions, as I have three daughters and only plan on reloading once they are asleep for the night.
Old April 1, 2012, 10:13 AM   #9
dmazur

Quote:
Did anyone else get nervous about something happening, like the gun blowing up or something like that, even though you follow everything to a "T" when you did your first reloads?
I believe this is normal, from the number of threads I've read.

I don't remember worrying, when I fired my first reloads. It was from a Lee Classic Loader (Whack-a-mole) in .45ACP and I figured if I followed the instructions it would work. And it did.

No, I didn't start worrying about reloading until I got into bottleneck cartridges and headspace...

Nothing wrong with the dowel trick.

By the way, how are you measuring the charge? Are you measuring each by trickling into a scale, using a "dipper" or using a powder measure?
Old April 1, 2012, 10:32 AM   #10
David Bachelder

I was a little apprehensive when I pulled the trigger on my first reload. I'm still here and I have all my fingers and my gun. I think a little fear is normal. Now I call it respect rather than fear.

Other than a few squib loads (knock on wood) I haven't had any problems.
Old April 1, 2012, 11:05 AM   #11
jwrowland77

dmazur, I have an electronic scale that came with my Hornady kit. It also came with a powder measure and trickler. My plan is to set the powder measure to just below my charge I am setting and then the trickle it up to my desired weight.

Example: if I am using a 4.9 charge, I will set my powder measure to 4.8 and trickle up to 4.9. Yes I know that I'll be measuring every load I put in, but I figured this would be the safest with me being a new loader.
Old April 1, 2012, 11:17 AM   #12
osageid

I just purchased a dillon 650 and spent extra money on the powder sensor that will alarm with too much/ little powder . Great thread btw, since I am just starting out I have enjoyed the read ! Thanks for all who have posted!
Old April 1, 2012, 11:20 AM   #13
dmazur

Outstanding.

Some do this for their rifle cartridge reloading, especially with powders that don't like powder measures. (Extruded grain size typically bigger than ball powders)

While there is a valid argument that +/- 0.1 gr in charge doesn't affect accuracy as much as other variables (such as are encountered in non-match grade bullets and brass), it does no harm to ensure powder charges are consistent. And weighing each does accomplish that.

Not common for pistol cartridge reloading. But not wrong.
Old April 1, 2012, 11:26 AM   #14
jwrowland77

I'm just a little OCD when it comes to things matching exactly. Bullet weight I can get over, because I am not about to sort through 2000 bullets. I did however sort my brass by headstamp and measure all 100 Wwb rounds to find a spot for my OAL that I know my 9mm will cycle with no problems.
Old April 1, 2012, 12:04 PM   #15
dmazur

Nothing wrong with having consistency as a goal.

However, you will find that manufacturers charge more for components with a high level of consistency. As an example, check the price of Nosler custom brass for a rifle cartridge, such as .243 Winchester. These are sorted by weight (meaning a box of 100 is very close in weight, for that box) and prepped (trimmed to length & chamfered).

By contrast, when I buy Winchester bulk brass, the variation is readily observed.

While others have different opinions, (which are not wrong), I choose to use custom Nosler brass for target work, and Winchester for my Garand.

Would the Nosler brass work in the Garand? Certainly. Would it be more accurate? Not that I could tell. Too many other variables.

So that is my somewhat long-winded point. Consistency is not a bad thing, as a general goal. The worst it can be is a waste of time and money, if you insist on consistency that has no measurable benefit.