The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 25, 2013, 02:41 PM   #26
Pianoguy

I didn't check out the size of the 650 but from what I remember it's one of Taurus's medium or larger frame revolvers which would put it in the mid to high 20's ounce-wise. I would think your wrist would be fine shooting 357s (maybe not 50 or more at a time - but then your wallet will be sore, too). The thing to worry about would be the gun itself, the more pop the round has the more chance there is for damage like putting the timing off, etc. That is true for any gun, not just a Taurus. That's why they designed beefier framed revolvers when the 357 mag was developed. But unless there is a problem, there shouldn't be any damage for hundreds, maybe thousands, of rounds. If everything checks out initially it may take a while for any problem to develop.
Old February 25, 2013, 03:39 PM   #27
CADILLAC HOOSIER

I have a taurus 85UL that I purchased several years ago and frequently carry during the winter. I've fired approx 1000 practice rounds thru it without a hitch. I like it and would not hesitate to get another based on my personal experience. I also own a S&W DA and a Ruger SA.
Old February 25, 2013, 04:03 PM   #28
AdamOwens

Pianoguy it's actually one of the smallest revolvers Iv seen on the market..but it's a pretty has a pretty heavy feel too it. Making me think that putting .357 round threw it should be fine for quite awhile. I was really wanting to go to the firing range this week but with this crazy winter storm about to come threw for the second time I don't think that's gonna be a possibility. Calling for 12-16 inches. What a tease it is to have this firearm and not be able to fire it!
Old February 25, 2013, 07:28 PM   #29
Newton24b

ive seen alot of rules of thumbs for 357 online. the one that made the most sense was "under 30 ounces, use it sparingly"
Old February 25, 2013, 11:14 PM   #30
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
ive seen alot of rules of thumbs for 357 online. the one that made the most sense was "under 30 ounces, use it sparingly"
For the gun, or the person that shoot's it?
Old February 26, 2013, 10:38 AM   #31
Dman23

Taurus 650 CIA Snub Purchasing Question

Along with my 650 i have a ruger sp101 but in 3 inch. Frame size is exactly the same, and weight is nearly identical too for those that are wondering
Old February 26, 2013, 12:23 PM   #32
9mm

The S&W is $400 I would get that.
Old February 26, 2013, 03:48 PM   #33
ClydeFrog

Taurus...

To my knowledge, the snub 650/CIA is a small frame or J frame size.
FWIW; I owned a small frame Ti .357magnum Protector in 2004.
It worked well with a deep concealment DeSantis Nemnesis pocket holster.
I put a rubber Taurus/CT lasergrip on it too.
The light weight & .357magnum caliber made it a good choice for personal protection. The DA/SA shrouded hammer did not snag or jab my side but it allowed a single action shot if I had to shoot weak handed or if I was weakened by injury.

I prefer DA only sidearms for regular use but a Ti Protector or the new polymer/alloy styles like the LCR are good for deep CC/back-up.

ClydeFrog

Tags
revolver , taurus