The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 26, 2008, 11:35 PM   #51
Buzz1

after my tauras mishap with the judge i do not think i will get
another one going to find another gun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg judge 005.jpg (164.5 KB, 17420 views)
Old November 27, 2008, 03:53 AM   #52
funon1

Sorry to hear about it, but Taurus are notorious for this sort of thing

Have it fixed and dump that Brazillian made POS and buy a good gun-Ruger or S&W. They are both American companies that both make excellent, reliable revolvers.

Funon1
Old November 27, 2008, 06:44 AM   #53
rogertc1

I'd stay away from the American made Ruger too. So maybe an old colt!!!!

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...+up+my+redhawk
Old November 27, 2008, 07:12 AM   #54
rogertc1

Salcon and Buzz1
Did you both post here too? Pcoladawg
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=407906
Old November 27, 2008, 08:36 AM   #55
IMTHDUKE

I replaced mine after it broke with this....now have 7 round cap. and if I wanna shot snakes...it's shot shells....shoots 38+p and 357mag....lighter and stronger and smaller than the judge....what's not to like?

Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old November 27, 2008, 09:29 AM   #56
rogertc1

Be carefull Duke thoes are know to blow up too
Post # 23 here has picture...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=321309

I just got a snubbie Smith & Wesson 327 Performance Center .357 Magnum that holds 8 rounds myself.
Old November 27, 2008, 11:40 AM   #57
Stainz

I was lucky over a year back when I was able to shoot a range-mate's Judge. I really hated it. It wasn't for me - that save me some moola. I love my S&W's - especially my first-ever - a 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt. I even picked up a second one. They spoiled me - fantastic way to launch .45 Colts. I added a new 629MG to my meager collection - and shot loads of .44 Russians and Specials from it.

One day at the range, after over two hundred of my short-cased lead loads, I stupidly shoved six of all I had left in my range bag, 300gr LSWC over 6.2gr Titegroup (880 fps) in .44 Magnum cases into my fine revolver. The first two, from a sitting hand hold, missed the target. The third round pinged the steel plate at 110yd - then the fourth did as well. The fifth went "Boomfff... tinkle, tinkle, tinkle". My range friend said, "Hey you missed! What happened to your gun?? Are you alright??". I was unhurt, save a few bloody marks on my bare arm and a chip in my safety glasses. I did nearly cry when I saw what I had done to one of my favorite revolvers.

There isn't room in the case for over 10.2-10.4gr of that powder with the long bullet seated. Hodgdon's and S&W agreed with my scenario - the dirty chamber had slowed the opening of the crimp - and that fast burning powder had produced a pressure spike - essentially a stuck bullet. S&W had the remains picked up - on their nickel - and tested the metallurgy, returning the only still serviceable part - the barrel! Yep, where the OP's gun was still good and he lost the barrel, my problem was the additive inverse... I have a barrel. S&W also sold me a new standard 4" 629 at a song - even got to wait a few days for one to make it down the assembly line, be shot, and shipped. They were first rate. I think my honesty helped... they asked me if I had ever used reloads or homebrews - I said that their testing it when it was built was the last time it ever saw factory ammo.

I mention this simply to illustrate the point - it can happen to anyone. Mine was totally my fault - I had preached to folks as an RO not to shoot long cased ammo after short, without chamber cleaning. Then I did that - all on me. Still, these are not perfect devices. I still make and shoot my own ammo, but never go to Magnums from shorter cases without cleaning.

I was lucky - and unhurt. I was also fortunate to get a reasonable replacement. This was all my doing. The OP's dad had just bad luck - I hope he gets a replacement quickly. Keep us apprised.

Stainz
Old November 27, 2008, 05:38 PM   #58
tenusdad

So, because it's foreign-made, it must suck?

NO they just suck because they are for the most part cheap junk. My beside gun is foreign made - Sig - but I would rather live beside a man that had a good S&W - Colt or Ruger than to own a Taurus. When is the last time you saw the price of a used Taurus going up?
Old November 27, 2008, 07:18 PM   #59
Lashlarue

Only collector's items go up in value, Taurus outsells S&W, Ruger,Sig,Glock, HK,Springfield, and even Hi-point. 500,000 Taurus pistols were made last year and 220,000 came to the US.http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?board=24.0 The link carries you to the taurus armed site, specifically complaints about any and all of Taurus's many products.In fact it's the only gun site ,I know of, that has a section devoted to complaints.Here's a Glock one of several in 40S&W that blew up, due to a bad batch of barrels that were improperly headspaced.I don't particularly care for Glock's, because they don't fit my hand, but if I did like them the fact that they had a problem with a few, wouldn't stop me from buying one.
Old November 27, 2008, 07:52 PM   #60
IMTHDUKE

Quote:
Taurus outsells S&W, Ruger,Sig,Glock, HK,Springfield, and even Hi-point.
I don't think just because a company sells a lot of cheap guns is proof of anything, except there are many folks can only afford a cheap gun. And if that's what you can afford...more power to you. Just my humble, but very accurate opinion
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old November 27, 2008, 08:12 PM   #61
rogertc1

Right you are Duke...just your opinion.
Old November 27, 2008, 08:51 PM   #62
IMTHDUKE

The admin was right...the ignore feature works great for little yapping Chihuahuas
Old November 28, 2008, 04:43 AM   #63
Conan1

Geez, And I just bought my wife a Taurus .357 Mag in SS w/ 2in barrel for Christmas. I plan on her using .38's. Hope its OK.
Old November 28, 2008, 10:31 AM   #64
shortwave

Conan 1, you and your wife take that gun out and run 500-1000 rds through it staying within the load ranges the gun is designed for. Thats the only way you`ll be sure of the reliability of it or ANY other brand of gun made. I`ve had failures with high end guns as well as low end ones. IMO, shooting(alot) of rounds through any weapon is the only real test for reliability.
Old November 29, 2008, 08:54 PM   #65
ffffg

my first thoughts looking at the photo, was, bad steel or overtorqued, or both.. when thread cutting machinery wears out and needs to be replaced or sharpened, it takes more pressure to tork the bolt.. i wonder if its done by machine or by hand.. Maybe the instructions were writen in english? dave
Old December 9, 2008, 08:20 PM   #66
Buzz1

taurus judge mishap

after my judge barell blew off i thought i would never get one again
but they sent me a new one and it shot great it is a very cool gun
Old April 21, 2010, 04:12 PM   #67
billy396

I've never seen the actual point for having a pistol in .410. Having said that I have a Taurus Model 44, and with that 7 1/2" full-underlug barrel and the factory porting, that's one .44 Mag that doesn't even recoil as much as my
.357, and it's very accurate. I also have an Ultra-Lite .38 snub-nose, and the 9MM snub-nose with the moon clips, they're both very nice little guns. I have a Millennium Pro in 9MM and I had another Taurus auto in .45 - those are both disappointing to me in terms of performance. The revolvers have never given me a problem, but I've read too many horror stories regarding Taurus "customer service" to want to buy another one.
Old April 23, 2010, 10:55 AM   #68
nefprotector

Wow! I had my doubts until I saw the Ruger. Do you have any pics?
Old April 23, 2010, 05:25 PM   #69
GP100man

Snake gun & 5 rnds of 357 !

Old April 23, 2010, 05:54 PM   #70
cole k

I don't hate Tauras, but after owning two I don't want anymore.
My snake gun is a S&W 38 Spl or S&W .357 loaded with shot shells.
They work fine, I've killed a lot of snake with .38 shot shells.
Old April 23, 2010, 08:36 PM   #71
jglsprings

I just love using this link...

As you can see from the posts in this thread, it is a long standing discussion around here.

Commas save lives...
Old April 23, 2010, 10:41 PM   #72
Teuthis

You might consider replacing that Taurus with a Bond Arms Snake Slayer. It is only two shots but with a .410 who needs more? They are strong, reliable and accurate.
Old March 8, 2011, 09:54 PM   #73
MedleyPaige

Shot in the Foot

Hello. I am posting in this thread to gain some insight from a few experts. My mother was recently invloved in an accident with a taurus judge that belongs to my dad. My dad has a license to conceal/carry a weapon (we live in KY). In early February my mom was in dad's truck moving some things around to find her carhart coveralls. She removed the coveralls and proceeded to shake them outside before putting them on. Unbenounced to her, the judge (belonging to my dad) was wrapped in her coveralls. When she "jerked" the coveralls out to shake them off, the gun fell to the pavement, landed on the hammer and fired. According to my dad the safety was ON. The buck shot hit my mom in the foot, and I'm sure most of you can imagine the impact at point-blank range. I can probably post pictures if you wish, it's pretty gruesome. She's had three reconstructive surgeries thus far, and they are still doubtful if she will keep her first two toes. It's been a hella ordeal. My question to those of you with experience is; are these guns known for issues like this? I've spoken to several people I work with (all ex military) and they tell me there are prehaps issues with the hammer of this gun? I am a NOVICE when it comes to firearms. Have any heard of this, or is it just a freak occurrance? Hopefully some one out there reads this..... thanks for any help!
Old March 8, 2011, 10:23 PM   #74
Kodyo

First off, most revolvers don't have a physical thumb safety like many autos do, this includes the Taurus Judge.

Secondly, from looking at the Taurus website, it is also apparent that the Taurus Judge is equipped with transfer bars. This physically prevents the gun from firing if the gun is dropped and lands on the hammer.
Old March 8, 2011, 10:43 PM   #75
Biff Tannen

Salcon:
Don't you hate asking for advice and instead everyone jumps all over you, tells you your gun is a piece of junk, and blames you for buying it (in this case, your dear old Dad)?! I feel for you.
My advice is:
If it was bought new, take it back to the shop. They will make sure its shipped legally, and will probably pay the shipping.
If used, call the gun shop and see if they will help you and be the go-between between you and Taurus...
If they wont help you, ask them to supply you with the proper Taurus customer service numbers, and ask Taurus.
CAUTION! If you have to send it to Taurus, make sure you ask both taurus and your gun shop what the legalities are about sending the gun! You dont want to accidentally become a felon!

Good luck and Im glad your Dad is okay!
Closed Thread

Tags
judge , problem , taurus