The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 13, 2013, 05:48 PM   #1
wachtelhund1

Homemade Blueing Tank & Stand

I plan on doing some rust blueing, especially for a Marlin 27-S, 25-20 that I am restoring. So I'm making my own blueing tank and I'm working on a stand for the tank. The tank was easy, I had a local metal fab shop bend some 16 guage steel into a trough 6X7X6X40" and cut me two ends to fit. I welded the ends on and will add two handleds. The stand was a little more difficult at first. Like everyone space is always a premium. I wanted a stand that was sturdy that I could take down or fold up and store when not being used.

Then it came to me a commerical folding saw horse with adjustable leg height. I've got about eight or nine of these from when I built my house, most are never used anymore. The legs fold up into a C channel and they have a carrying handle, they are about 3.5" wide. The legs are attached to the main C channel with two heavier pieces of U steel and are riveted at each end to the inside sides of the C channel. First, I cut off the rivets of the leg brackets. Then with a grinder and cutoff wheel, I cut the the C channel in half lenght wise. Then made two new 7.5" wide leg brackets, using 2X1/8" flat steel and the hole spacing from the orginal U steel. I bolted these to the C channel sides with 1/2" bolts and bolted the legs to the new brackets with 1/2" bolts. Today I welded up a frame 7.5X40.5" of 1X1 angle steel. I will weld this to the top of the widened saw horse, adding structural support. The tank will sit in this frame. Next, I will weld two U bolts to the bottom to hold the pipe burner under the tank. Done, a blueing tank stand that folds up for storage.
Old December 13, 2013, 06:29 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Should work fine. Since you will be doing rust bluing and not caustic salt bluing, you don't have most of the problems that would come with the latter. My only concern would have been that some saw horses just are not made to take the weight of a water filled bluing tank, but it sounds like you have that aspect pretty well covered. Good luck!

Jim
Old December 13, 2013, 06:51 PM   #3
wachtelhund1

These were heavy duty saw horses, about 10 lbs to 12 lbs each. Legs are adjustable 24" to 4' tall.