The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 28, 2023, 04:40 PM   #1
YankeeIronSights

Sig Sauer M18/17 vs. P320x Full Size/Compact

Hi Everyone,

If you could only keep one set of these two Sig Sauer models, which ones would you choose?

M17/18

Or

P320x full size/compact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 28, 2023, 05:50 PM   #2
Moloch

M17/M18.

I own a P320 myself and while I really like it I'm still not super confident in the the P320 design without a manual safety. If I ever decided to carry it or use it for self defense I'd absolutely take the model with the manual safety.
Old June 28, 2023, 07:01 PM   #3
MTT TL

The P320 can also come equipped with a safety.

Essentially you can change your P320/ P320C into any variant of the 320/ 320c line, including the M17/18s. The "gun" part of the gun is the easily removable internals. The M17/18 is merely a version with cut down lower, optics ready slide and a couple of other features.

It takes no special skill to make these changes; but it does take money. So really you need to decide if the military version is closer to what you want than the some other standard version.
Old June 29, 2023, 09:03 AM   #4
highpower3006

M17/M18.

Old June 29, 2023, 11:09 AM   #5
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moloch View Post
M17/M18.

I own a P320 myself and while I really like it I'm still not super confident in the the P320 design without a manual safety. If I ever decided to carry it or use it for self defense I'd absolutely take the model with the manual safety.
Ditto
Old June 29, 2023, 11:16 AM   #6
L-2

I also hesitate to get involved with the P320 series, as I don't trust its safety due to the many unresolved stories of accidental discharges, and changes SIG has made without disclosing its reasoning or identifying if the changes were due to problems. I know it's been talked about already around the internet and I know most folks are doing fine with their P320/M17/M18 variants.

I like the M18 size, along with its manual safety, I just would want one black-colored.

Otherwise, I've got no reason to augment or switch from Glock to SIG at this point. I do like my P226R, P229R, and P225, but will more likely choose one of my many Glocks to carry instead.
Old June 30, 2023, 12:18 PM   #7
jmr40

I chose the M17/18 specifically because I wanted the safety. If I didn't want a safety, I prefer Glock. And I have a few Glocks as well. But there are situations where I want a safety.

Winston Churchill
Old July 1, 2023, 05:29 PM   #8
Polinese

Don't the m17/18 also have more mass to the slides? Nothing significant but for shooting 9mm nato vs the standard stuff. Seem to recall the actual M17's they sold even came with 2 different recoil springs for that reason.
Old July 5, 2023, 02:34 PM   #9
Moloch

That would be weird as other 9mm service handguns are fine with NATO spec 9mm AND most commercial 9x19. Why would the pretty straight forward design of the P320 require different recoil springs / not function with most reasonable 9mm loads?
Old July 5, 2023, 02:51 PM   #10
MTT TL

Quote:
Nothing significant but for shooting 9mm nato vs the standard stuff.
The short answer is no. You don't need to change recoil springs to shoot different ammunition of the same caliber pistol that the gun is set up for properly. So any kind of 9mm should work unless it is some crazy type.

The long answer is that different slides may or may not have different masses. This may or may not require a different recoil spring. Changing calibers will almost certainly require a different recoil spring. Possibly swapping out the slides as well.

The 320C uses a completely different type of recoil spring so compact versions are not compatible with the full versions. This is one of the largest differences between compact and full size models.

Until you play around with one it is tough to explain how simple and modular the system is. The only part of the gun that is serialized are the internals. You can easily pull them out and make a completely different gun with it in literally a thousand different variation of caliber, barrel length, grip size, color, etc. This takes less than five minutes.

So if you are at the range shooting 9mm with a M17. You might decide you want to change it and start shooting a 45ACP with a 6" barrel and a different grip angle; five minutes later you can be, with the same "gun".
Old July 15, 2023, 05:49 PM   #11
shep854

I've shot both Winchester 124gr NATO ball and regular 115gr in my P320/M18 with non-braided recoil spring without issue.
Besides the safety, I like the loaded-chamber indicator.
ALSO, I have seen a black P320/M18; it did not look like an after-market coating.
Old July 15, 2023, 08:27 PM   #12
MTT TL

You can get a grip module in about a dozen different colors and finishes straight from the factory. Some are as cheap as $49.

https://www.sigsauer.com/p320-p250-f...ule-45acp.html

https://www.sigsauer.com/parts/grip-...ce_high_to_low