The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 12, 2016, 04:55 PM   #1
bassadict69

Smaller view when scope is zoomed in?

Is this normal? Even on the top end scopes?

I have a Redfield Wide Angle scope on my old Rem 7400. Whether I am zoomed to 9 or down to 3, I still have a full view through my lens. All other scopes I have owned, when you zoom all the way in, you end up with a very small area through the lens you are able to see through.

What is the difference in my Redfield that allows it to zoom all the way in and still have the full field of view through the lens?
Old November 12, 2016, 05:00 PM   #2
CarJunkieLS1

Difference in eye relief?
Old November 12, 2016, 05:22 PM   #3
salt and battery

try to move your head back and forth you should get a full view then. as you turn up power the right eye relief box gets smaller
Old November 12, 2016, 05:25 PM   #4
bassadict69

So maybe it is mounted incorrectly, with it too far from my eye? I will try as suggested...
Old November 12, 2016, 05:57 PM   #5
Snyper

Quote:
All other scopes I have owned, when you zoom all the way in, you end up with a very small area through the lens you are able to see through.
That's operator error, or a poor mounting job

And your Redfield "Wide Angle" really doesn't give a wider view than any other scope with the same magnification and objective lens diameter
Old November 12, 2016, 06:14 PM   #6
bassadict69

Probably poor mounting!

I didn't think it did, that is just the name on the scope...or maybe it is widefield, or something like that.
Old November 12, 2016, 07:26 PM   #7
DPI7800

Combination of poor mounting and lower end optics. Even on a mid range like a vortex PST Viper the eyerelief gets less forgiving at 16 power. Where as my Nightforce NXS and Leupold Mark 6 no issues.
Old November 12, 2016, 10:13 PM   #8
jmr40

The field of view should be smaller as magnification is increased.

I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about, but I "THINK" you are describing what I call the cardboard tube effect. Some scopes will have a clear usable view through them except for a very thin line around the edges. Others make it appear as though you are looking through a cardboard tube like a roll of paper towels come on. A large portion of the view around the edges is blacked out and it is more apparent as magnification is increased.

This seems to be a design trait with some brands of scopes and not others. I prefer Leupold, Zeiss and Burris because the FOV is more usable. Some scopes have good glass, but have this trait and I prefer not to use them. Nikon and Vortex are 2 examples.
Old November 13, 2016, 04:03 PM   #9
fourbore

This is an eye relief issue. When mounting a scope always set a variable to the maximum magnification.
Old November 13, 2016, 08:45 PM   #10
lefteye

Quote:
This is an eye relief issue. When mounting a scope always set a variable to the maximum magnification.
I would suggest checking eye relief at the lowest and highest power and several in between. And, of course, arm length, neck length, vision, and body size all have an effect on the best position of the scope. Eye and body comfort at the highest and lowest power should maximize accuracy.

Last edited by lefteye; November 13, 2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old November 13, 2016, 10:06 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

I suggest going to the article "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescopic_sight" and reading the section on the reticle plane. But except on very old sights, the image should always fill the field of view.

Jim
Old November 14, 2016, 02:06 PM   #12
bassadict69

I did move the scope further back a little and did help some. I will probably end up loosing the mounts at the gun and move it a little more.
Old November 14, 2016, 08:09 PM   #13
fourbore

Quote:
I would suggest checking eye relief at the lowest and highest power and several in between
Everything gets better as you dial the scope magnification down. No harm to check, no need to check. It will never be a problem at the low end if you set up for the high end. That is a guarantee. It can be tricky enough to setup the optimum eye position and get the cross hair vertical, I suggest you don't add messing with the focus or power setting until you get it snug down good.

Quote:
I will probably end up loosing the mounts at the gun and move it a little more.
Forget about nudging it back a little. Loosen the rings and move it big time. Over shoot the best position and go back and forth until it is the best is can be. Do that at the highest magnification.

A better scope will be a LOT more forgiving as will a lower power variable.
Old November 15, 2016, 08:06 AM   #14
bassadict69

I will play with it more today...

Scope in question is a Burris C4
Old November 15, 2016, 08:18 AM   #15
NoSecondBest

If you go to any scope manufacturers website, they list the field of view at the low end of the power range and the high end of the power range. It (the field of view) gets smaller at higher power. This is true on ALL manufacturers scopes. It's simply a mathmatical given that this happens. It's normal and to be expected.
JMR40 got it right.
Old November 17, 2016, 09:13 PM   #16
fourbore

He is not talking about "field of view" he is experiencing improper setting of eye relief. He used magic words that have special meaning to shooters. It is the readers responsibility to understand that not all people use the gun-speak proper vocabulary. Then you go mis-understanding the post and answer the wrong question. And the error get perpetuated post after post.

What a waste of time .....
Old November 18, 2016, 12:57 AM   #17
NoSecondBest

Quote:
He is not talking about "field of view" he is experiencing improper setting of eye relief. He used magic words that have special meaning to shooters. It is the readers responsibility to understand that not all people use the gun-speak proper vocabulary. Then you go mis-understanding the post and answer the wrong question. And the error get perpetuated post after post.

What a waste of time .....
No, you're wrong. You're arrogant response is a waste of time. You post what you want and others will post what they want.
Old November 18, 2016, 02:36 AM   #18
math teacher

Actually I also took the OP to mean that he is not seeing the entire image in the scope at higher powers. The outer portion is blacking out. This means the eye is too far from the scope. Others have suggested how to remedy the situation which is not what is properly called field of view. Thus the confusion.
Old November 18, 2016, 09:36 AM   #19
NoSecondBest

Perhaps the OP should return and elaborate on what his actual problem is. He can then get a better answer. Seems to be some confusion here on the exact problem. No sense disagreeing among ourselves without the correct definition of the problem.