The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 25, 2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Yeti 47

Spartan

Here lately I have been thinking about adding a spartan 220 to my collection. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with this gun. Also I heard something about them no longer being produced. I don't have a clue if it is true, but was wondering if some of you knew or had some input on the gun. Thanks.
Old May 26, 2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Laz

Yeti 47 -I was hoping for some replies because I don't have a lot of experience to share with you. I have a couple of SPR220 that are recently purchased and not fired much. If you search about them on various forums, you will get a pretty wide range of opinions. Generally, they are considered to be plain, robust, and pretty trouble free but their fit and finish and overall looks are not highly touted. My 28 inch double trigger field gun has performed quite well just taking it out and breaking some clays to see if I might hunt with it this fall. The length of pull on the double trigger guns is short and the balance of the 28" guns seems front heavy to me, but it seems to shoot well and operate as it should. I also have a coach gun which has also performed well. So far it seems to shoot high in my hands, but that could be me. It kicks like mad with heavy loads. The Coach only has 2 3/4 inch chambers but the field version has 3" chambers. I have to say that my coach gun spit out some soldering gunk from between the barrels after firing it a while. I suspect it is just debris from manufacturing that worked its way out but am keeping my eyes open to see if I get some barrel separation down the road. That could be disappointing and troubling but the jury is out. I have seen others in the stores where the extractors are extremely tight and tend to stick instead of working properly. They work when the gun is assembled but if one gets stuck in it is hard to pull it out enough to assemble the gun. I love the idea of the Spartan and my research indicates that it is built on a very sound and strong design. Fit and finish and QC issues might end up being a problem but I don't know yet. They are inexpensive guns. I hate to report potentially bad things because I want them to work well and hopefully for a long time but just don't know yet.

They are still listed on the Remington website and I have heard nothing about them being discontinued. Baikal has been making this gun as the IZH43 for a long time in various versions. Even if Remington were to drop the line, Baikal is not likely to quit making them. I read that they are quite common in Europe, although some have reported that they believe the quality has gone down since the breakup of the Soviet Union. Of course, people complaining about declining quality of various manufactured products from all over, including here, is a commonly heard theme.

I'm glad I bought mine. If they don't work out over time, I'll chalk it up to experience but I have hopes for them, at least for my purposes. They are much more a sow's ear than a silk purse, but if they function reliably, that's all I'm looking for.

Do a search on this forum and on www.thehighroad.org and you'll find a lot of information. Also check out the Gun Opinions forum at www.shotgunworld.com where you will find some, ah, spirited debates about the Baikal/SPR220. Also at Shotgun World, there is an "I love my Baikal/Spartan" forum where you will read much more positive reviews but also reports of troubles folks have had when they've had them. There's a lot of information out there, so good luck!

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old May 26, 2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Yeti 47

Thanks for the help