The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 24, 2002, 06:14 PM   #1
yankytrash

Will a goose go down with a 22LR?

Hey guys, help me settle an argument with one of my employees:

We're working near my house today on a roof. As usual this time of year, there's a couple hundred geese out in the field next to us. We start making the usual cracks about, "if I only had a shotgun right now," or "man, you don't need no shotgun, you could throw a rock in there and get three birds," blah, blah, blah. Usual man-banter near wildlife.

One of my guys, an avid game bird hunter, says I should bring my AR-7 with me to work tomorrow and "get us some geese for supper." I relate to him a story from my youth where it was my job to kill our chickens one day, so I grabbed my 22. I musta shot the first chicken 14 times before I gave up and started chasin'm down with the axe. I told the co-worker a 22 would never work, but he insisted one good shot to the head would put a goose down.

I don't have any experience with geese, but I'm skeptical. Don't want to get popped by the man during an "experiment", so I was just wondering if one of you guys knew? Will a goose go down with a shot to the head with a 22?
Old October 24, 2002, 06:19 PM   #2
Mark II

Yes

A goose will go down from a 22 IF you get it in the HEAD.
Old October 24, 2002, 08:45 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

A. Yes

B. Neck, heart, Wing bone etc will work also.

Bear in mind that a large part of the big bird you see is nothing but feathers. Easy to hit feathers, nuther thing altogether to hit bird.

Hope this is purely academic; shootin any rifle in the air is bad mojo.

Sam
Old October 24, 2002, 09:29 PM   #4
Greybeard

migratory birds can not be shot legally with anything except a shotgun ...
Old October 24, 2002, 10:05 PM   #5
Zorro

Long Bow works too.

Or try this!

Bread Ball and a #4 Treble Hook!

Argue that you aren't hunting, but you just caught this REALLY WEIRD FISH!
Old October 25, 2002, 12:19 AM   #6
Chuck Dye

As an over-the-road trucker, I occasonally overnighted in a rest area next to a stubble field. One night I was awakened around 3am by a ridiculous number of LEO's, most with disco lights whirling and strobing. I managed to shout a question to a sergeant about whether I would be involved and should I move. The answer was no to both so I went back to bed in the sleeper. On my next trip on that route, I was able to quiz a deputy sheriff about the circus. The deputy said they had arrested a reefer driver who supplemented his income by shooting wild geese while they slept in the stubble field. The driver used a high quality air rifle, not named, and tossed the birds into the trailer with his frozen load for processing at a more convenient time and place. The end customers were reported to be restaurants in Chicago and Detroit. Two reasons were cited for the rest area bust: the driver had already been videoed delivering geese and, by nailing the driver after he had been videoed placing geese in the trailer, the truck became a tool of the crime and subject to forfeiture, a major added blow to an owner-operator.

If an air rifle was adequate for geese, a .22 is, too. Don't get caught!
Old October 25, 2002, 06:40 AM   #7
yankytrash

Oh no no no, this is purely academic. I'm no game bird hunter, except for turkey, which are in season. Birds are too much dang work cleanin if you ask me, so if I want a small moving target with a rifle, I'll go shoot some squirrels, which are also in season.

My employee's request for the AR-7 was purely rhetorical man-banter.

Don't tell my friends, but I actually enjoy the sound of the geese every morning.
Old October 25, 2002, 10:38 AM   #8
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Oh yes it will work................sometimes in my youth ( I still feel young ) when the geese are er were flying real high............or wayyyy out in a rice field...........well you get the idea.

Mama get the gumbo pot out........................goose? What goose?