The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 31, 2013, 10:04 PM   #1
waltin

Stock finish mixtures or blends

In my effort to refinish a Mossberg M46 22LR stock and remove the old cruddy varnish and scratches, I came into a dilemma. I was nearly finished with the sanding progression when I reached for my rag to wipe it down. Well, mistakenly I picked up the wrong rag which was lightly dried with a mixture of Tung and MS, from another stock project. I had the intention to finish it with Tru-oil to match my other 22 Mossberg M42. Although it was an error the stock looks beautiful rubbed down, however, here lies the problem. The wood isn't that hard, I'm not sure but it looks like walnut but scratches and dents easy. Maybe that's why the sanding didn't take long to remove most of the surface scratches. My question since the Tung formula is rubbed in can I add the Tru-oil or should I mix in a varnish to strengthen the finish coating?
Old July 31, 2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

You can add Tru-Oil over tung oil, just use 0000 steel wool first, then apply the Tru-Oil. If you're going to use Tru-Oil from the bottle, the best way I have found, for a hand rubbed finish, is to wear nitrile surgical gloves while applying the finish. It leaves a slick and smooth application of the oil, and you just take the gloves off to get rid of the mess. I'd at least put two coats of Tru-Oil on it, and maybe three, always using the steel wool between coats.
Old August 6, 2013, 04:53 PM   #3
waltin

Mossberg 46 Tru-oil stock

Dixie,
The Tru-Oil application came out very,very well. It was easy to apply and I used my finger w/o a glove, which I thought gave me better control rubbing on the oil. Touching up any drips and blemishes after it dried was easy and the drying time was short. I applied three coats and used a green nylon scrubber (name escapes me) and brass wool with a cotton cloth to buff out any marks in between coats. I will use Butchers Wax for the final finish. I stayed with the high gloss which surprisingly rivals my Weatherby's finish. See photo attached. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mossberg 46 w TruOil finish.jpg (78.9 KB, 33 views)
Old August 6, 2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

That looks good. You can dull it, by simply using 0000 steel wool again, and then put wax or a light coat of gun oil when you store it, if you don't like the shiny finish on another gun.

I knew it would work, as I've been there on tung oil. I tried some Watco mahogany colored tung oil, and it produced the worst finish I ever applied, to a Stevens 22 rifle. The first coat raised the grain worse than any oil, or even water, that I ever saw happen. After getting it sanded smooth again, and two more coats, where the last took 1-1/2 days to dry, I said enough, as it was a dull, and lifeless finish. Tru-Oil saved the day, with a couple of cover coats. There's a couple of good oil finishes out, but I stick with Tru-Oil mostly, unless a customer wants something else. I buy it by the pint, and refill some small plastic bottles I have, that Tru-Oil comes in.