The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old November 10, 1998, 08:50 PM   #1
cluso

need help on parts availability and installation of full auto selector on M-14
Old November 10, 1998, 11:13 PM   #2

M-14? Now that is going to be one heck of a pogo stick ride when it's on rock and roll!
Back in '68 I watched a spry little fellow do a 'tater digging shuffle with one when he panicked and forget to let go of the trigger. Woulda laffed my tookus off, 'cept the fool was standing next to me when he started plowing ground towards my feet. Fortunately, the magazine only held 20-rounds and it ran dry pretty quick.

If you've got yerself a gin-U-wine registered M-14 receiver you should be able to get the parts from most Class-III dealers or Class-II manufacturers that build or repair the M-14. They should be listed in the yellow pages. But, you gotta show 'em your paper work before they'll do anything more than just chat at you.

If you don't have papers, you might want to call the St. Louis Field Office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. They're in the blue pages. They can provide you with all the legal do's and don'ts regarding your project.

Old November 10, 1998, 11:47 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

While the forum serves to exchange knowledge freely, we cannot encourage the home conversion of semi-automatic firearms to full auto.

Such tasks are best left to licensed Class III gunsmiths who have the training, experience and the skills to perform the conversion. Unsafe conversions can result in permanent damage to the firearm and serious, if not fatal injuries to the shooter and bystanders. Witness the unintended consequences arising from unauthorized alterations of a Sig P220 which was reported earlier.

As Mykl suggest, your safest route would be to contact a Class III gunsmith who can supply you with the parts, install them, and assist you with the necessary paperwork for lawful possession of the firearm.

By the way, the M14 in full auto isn't very controllable and the Army locked the selector switch on the rifles issued to the troops to semiautomatic only. Even the heavier bipod equipped M14A1 intended as a SAW wasn't very successful.

Closed Thread