The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: would you rather buy
2 economy pistols 19 18.81%
2 expensive pistol. 82 81.19%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 6, 2014, 10:10 AM   #1
tahunua001

would you rather...

...buy one expensive pistol, or two cheapos?

for the purposes of this hypothetical situation, you already have other, more suitable handguns for bear defense, home defense, concealed carry, what have you, these would be solely for range toy use.

let's say, for the purpose of this discussion that the cheapos would be around $350 range and what I consider expensive is about the $700 range.
discuss.

Last edited by tahunua001; August 6, 2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old August 6, 2014, 10:15 AM   #2
BarryLee

I would prefer a higher end handgun possibly a 1911 or some other custom/semi-custom model.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 6, 2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Papa D

Although the poll says 2 expensive pistols, I read the question before voting. Since my budget considers mid level guns like CZs, Glocks and M&Ps to be "high end" guns, I voted for one High end over the non high end option.
Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.
~2 Chronicles 7:14
Old August 6, 2014, 11:02 AM   #4
1stmar

I only need/want so many inexpensive pistols. As you described, home defense, carry etc. Guns costing $1500 or more, for me, are competition guns or range guns. Not something I want to be sweating on, running through the dirt etc.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Sevens

It used to be the "more, if they are good enough" and for certain, I'm coming around to the other side... and I'd much, much rather own better guns and less of them.

This is not a new trend, we've seen it happen a lot to folks who have been around guns for a few years. Once you try some of the better ones, it seems silly to waste your time with the cheaper ones.

I have not yet gone off the deep end, where I have to forcibly "RID" myself of certain guns that don't meet some arbitrary level of quality/value or price point, but it has definitely changed the way I shop and look for my NEXT gun. And this has been building for a couple of years now.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:11 AM   #6
Sevens

Sorry that I didn't address this in my post:
Quote:
for the purposes of this hypothetical situation, you already have other, more suitable handguns for bear defense, home defense, concealed carry, what have you, these would be solely for range toy use.
For me, I have -one- carry gun that I use as my EDC and I have one low-cost but solid/reliable 'defense' gun that I can place in the car for "carry" use when I'm going somewhere that I'm not allowed to carry.

Beyond that...
I truly don't have many specific "uses" for almost all of my other guns, EXCEPT to have fun with and enjoy on the range. Or, let me put it another way--

I buy guns specifically as range toys, for fun, and rarely for a specific purpose.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:31 AM   #7
madmo44mag

Did not vote because what some call high end are middle of the road and some that are middle of the road or considered by some low end.

So..........

Guns over $750.00 - High end
Guns under $750.00 - 450.00 - Middle of the road
Guns under $450.00 low end

I rarely even consider guns under $450.00 although I have a few I bought used that have been great range guns.

I would buy 2 middle of the road guns over a high end gun most of the time.
I own high end and mid range guns and my mid level guns function just a good as my high end guns just don't have the prestige or pedigree.

It would come down to what kind of deal I could make.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:41 AM   #8
lamarw

You should edit the poll to show 2 inexpensive pistols vs. 1 expensive pistol as your question phrased it. Your poll is showing 2 inexpensive vs. 2 expensive.

I voted as if it was 1 expensive pistol.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:54 AM   #9
Uncle Malice

Yep, I would go for the more expensive version. In the $700+ range, I'd shoot for something like a USP/HK45
Old August 6, 2014, 01:56 PM   #10
jasmith85

I would take the 2 inexpensive guns. It would require waiting a while for the right auctions but I could get 2 good guns for $700. I know I've seen Smith & Wesson M&P's, Ruger SR's, and Springfield XD's all go for under $350 on gunbroker before.
Old August 6, 2014, 04:03 PM   #11
Shadi Khalil

All the handguns currently on my short-list are under $700.
Old August 6, 2014, 04:27 PM   #12
rock185

tahunua, I would take one higher end gun. Very much just personal preference, evolved over many years....ymmv
Old August 6, 2014, 04:35 PM   #13
SHE3PDOG

I'd much rather have a nice gun than 2 crappy guns or even a really nice gun over a pair of pretty good guns.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old August 6, 2014, 04:47 PM   #14
357 Python

I find you pay for quality once (which usually costs more). You pay for lack of quality (usually cheap) many times over. That said there are exceptions to this.
Old August 6, 2014, 04:49 PM   #15
lee n. field

Quote:

let's say, for the purpose of this discussion that the cheapos would be around $350 range and what I consider expensive is about the $700 range.
discuss.
At this point in my life I have enough "economy" pistols. I'd like something nice.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 6, 2014, 05:43 PM   #16
Shotgun Slim

I shoot everything I own on a regular basis so no cheapies for me.They wouldn't last.
Old August 6, 2014, 05:50 PM   #17
motorep

I'll take the one high-end pistol, but 750 isn't one. 3X that is.
Old August 6, 2014, 05:54 PM   #18
LockedBreech

Like most questions, it depends, but in general I prefer one expensive thing to two cheap ones.

Watches are one example of this. I spent years buying cheap, $25-30 watches and they always broke and looked too small on my wrist. After trying three or four I gave up on them, thinking I was just rough on watches. Then, on a lark, I dropped $250 on a Citizen Eco-Drive, still an affordable watch but at least expensive enough to be well-built. It's awesome, classy looking, I wear it every day, and it's tough as nails. Buying the nice thing stings in the short term, but almost always feels better in the long term.
Old August 6, 2014, 06:42 PM   #19
trigger643

I buy not based on price but on desire. Nighthawk Talon? Yep. CZ52, you betcha, a lot in between... sure enough.

Most of what appeals to me falls in the $750 to $1,250 range. If I really get an itch for something up there, say over $2k, I save until I can comfortably acquire it.

I learned a long time ago that no matter how great a deal something is, a better deal will come along shortly. There is no rush or urgency to own something and indeed the anticipation often exceeds the experience of ownership.
Old August 6, 2014, 07:08 PM   #20
Hawg

I'd probably buy two used beaters. I don't see me ever paying more than 500 for a pistol and not that much very often.
Old August 6, 2014, 07:24 PM   #21
Microgunner

I ceased buying $350 handguns long ago when needs morphed into wants.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:25 PM   #22
smokehouse4444

If I already have certain guns for certain situations, I would want the high end handgun without a doubt. I know everyone has their differing opinions on what is high or mid range from a major factory. For me, generally speaking, Glocks, S&W M&P's, and XD's are mid-range.....SIG's, HK's, and Colt's would be more on the high-end.

So that would be like asking me if I would like two VW Jetta's, or one Mercedes Benz S-class. "Well heck, that damn Jetta starts up everytime you turn the key, and it just runs and runs and runs!" you say. Yep, but I'd still much rather drive that Mercedes.
Old August 6, 2014, 09:18 PM   #23
Justice06RR

2 is better than one.

I'd buy a used Ruger P95 and a Glock police trade-in for $350 each, vs one HK USP pistol or 1911
Old August 6, 2014, 09:33 PM   #24
Strafer Gott

The two expensive guns only holds water if you leave the Czs' out of it. Those pistols are cheap and good. I'm just gonna put a little lipstick on 'em, and they're GTG.
Old August 6, 2014, 10:21 PM   #25
saleen322

I have to go with one good gun over the two cheap ones. If you get a cheap gun, you are reminded every time you shoot it and wish you had got the better one. If you buy the high-end gun, you forget about the money and only remember how well it works.

I think every gun person should at one time own a quality gun. They just work so well but it is impossible to put into words to someone who has not shot one. It is like trying to explain what sex feels like to someone who never had sex.