The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 25, 2013, 06:55 PM   #1
tahunua001

CBRPS Mosin Nagant Cossack

hello all.
last year I decided that I was going to attempt to build a decent sporting rifle out of a mosin nagant 91/30 and do it for less than what you can buy a budget hunting rig for.

well I failed miserably and this was the result

the mount is tilted so much that I ran out of downward adjustment in the scope so I ended up being stuck with a 350 yard zero.

the bent bolt...

...fell off twice because ATI doesn't realize that D&T for a single screw is a terrible way to make a bent bolt handle and I was forced to JBweld the darned thing on... this rifle is the definition of a bubba'd rifle.

so I decided I would have a little fun with it. I removed the ATI scope mount and boyds thumbhole stock. and get a center balanced systems Cossack rifle kit. the directions were a little difficult to get a grasp on(what can I say? I need pictures) but I was able to get the whole thing together with relatively little trouble and, no chips, dings, dents, scratches, bandaids or Fbombs dropped.
here's the finished product.

it's light weight(if there is such a thing with a 91/30), well balanced, feels quite durable(they did a great job on the materials), and the trigger is not noticeably any worse than the factory trigger(a huge selling point for bullpups). I have yet to get it zeroed but right now it is hitting low and right(WHICH MEANS I GET TO CHOOSE THE ZERO DISTANCE!!!). with the receiver actually inline with my shoulder recoil management is amazing, it feels like I'm shooting my 243.

aside from the directions, the only con I have is the cheek rest is hinged to allow the bolt handle to move up slide back and forth and there is no resistance so it is free to flop up and down so it is far from a stealthy design. given the wide array of mosin nagant bolt shapes I can't fault the design since it is necessary if you have a straight bolt handle but something that's spring loaded to hold it shut when needed would be nice.

all in all I am very happy with it. the length and light weight of an M44 with without the fireball, shoulder crushing recoil and muzzle flash.
Old November 5, 2013, 09:58 AM   #2
lordhedgwich

Poor poor mosin =(
Old November 5, 2013, 07:15 PM   #3
amd6547

All I can say is...UGH.
Old November 6, 2013, 09:27 PM   #4
tobnpr

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

When they came out a couple of years ago (as I recall...) I thought the bullpup idea was interesting. Where they lost me was the "trap door" cheekrest that you need to flip open to run the bolt.

Because of the split receiver, they're just unable to do anything else (along the lines of say, the Desert Tactical SRS). But I give them credit for the idea. If it's accurate- with a decent trigger (usually a problem for bullpups), then I'd say they did a helluva job for the money.
www.biggorillagunworks.com