The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

View Poll Results: Scope and binocular set up for light-weight hunting setup this season
Bushnell Elite 3-9x40; Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x42 4 23.53%
Bushnell Elite 3-9x40; Vortex Diamondback 10x42 2 11.76%
Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40; Vortex Diamondback 10x42 11 64.71%
Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40; Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x42 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 27, 2013, 09:38 AM   #1
wilkup

Bushnell Optics VS. Vortex Optics...HELP?

I'm comparing 2 items I need to add to my hunting outfit; binoculars and a light-weight scope that's good out to at least 500 yards. I receive a big discount on Bushnell products, otherwise I'd probably overlook them and go with a Vortex.
Just to keep things in perspective, I can get the Bushnell binos about $75 cheaper but the scopes are close enough in price it's not going to matter.
I've put in quite a bit of research to settle on these different options, but am hoping there may be some people on here who have experience with or possibly owned both.
I was able to try out a pair of the Diamondback Binos at a store last night. I thought they worked well, but with the price difference I'm wondering if they're that much better.
Haven't had any opportunity to try either scope, but am leaning towards Bushnell based on reviews I've read online. Hopefully I'll get some more feedback before pulling the trigger, but I need to put the order in so I can get this new rifle setup!

Here's my comparisons:
Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 Dead Hold BDC - 14.4oz
Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 DOA 600 - 13oz

Vortex Diamondback 10x42
Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x42

Last edited by wilkup; August 27, 2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old August 27, 2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Kimber84

Bushnell Optics VS. Vortex Optics...HELP?

I would go with Vortex all day long. I have their diamondbacks and they are hands down a much better buy in my opinion. Not to mention their phenomenal warranty.
Old August 27, 2013, 05:45 PM   #3
FrosSsT

Vortex makes amazing products for the money and to top it off they back them up with great service and one of the best warranties in the game. I would go with the diamondback.
Old August 27, 2013, 05:54 PM   #4
jmr40

If you want lightweight, you want Leupold. About 11 oz. http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-1-...pe-P51829.aspx A leupold VX-1 is about the same price, about the same quality and has other features I like better. Better eye relief, no tunnel vision. The Bushnell and Vortex both look like you are looking through a cardboard tube. Leupolds have a sharp image with only a very thin black ring around the edges.
Old August 27, 2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Storm27m

I can't speak much for the scopes but I just bought my binoculars last year. I did a ton of searching and a lot of hands-on at local stores. One of the LEAST impressive pairs that I tried was the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD. They were horrible compared side by side to other binos in the price range. If I had to buy locally, I would have bought either the Vortex or the Leupold Mojave. In the end, I ordered a pair of Zen-Ray ED2's from Zen-Ray Optics based mostly off reputation and value for the price. I'm completely pleased with the purchase and have zero regrets. It helped that I was able to take advantage of their substantial (20%) LEO/military discount.

Maybe I was looking through a bum pair, but I can't believe how terrible the Bushnell's were. They were best compared to the sub-$100 binos on the rack. The lower end Vortex were better but not great. The Mojave's really impressed me for the price, especially with the edge-to-edge clarity. Of your two choices, I'd say Vortex. If you haven't done so already, go get some hands-on time at a local sporting goods store if you can.
Old August 28, 2013, 05:44 AM   #6
hooligan1

I have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40, and really when you pick this scope up and check it out, you would understand why I own one.
In it's class there's no competition.
Old August 28, 2013, 07:36 AM   #7
Saltydog235

I have some Bushnell Excursion Binos that I like a lot. If you receive a big discount on Bushnell products why not look at the Elite Tactical or 6500 series of scopes and get into a better optic all around.

Take the Diamondback, Elite, VXII, Monarch, Fulfield, Terra, Grand Slam etc paint them all the same color, remove the labels and put them in a bucket, pull one after the other out and you won't be able to tell the difference in the optical quality. Knobs, gadgets, widgets and personal brand preferences/prejudices shape your purchase more than anything.

CIP, would you rather buy the Vortex Viper HDS made by Vortex Tactical Optics or the Creampuff Rainbow Ridge Runner in sweet Orange made by Swarovski Optik and featuring Z6 Glass.
Old August 29, 2013, 03:07 PM   #8
SSA

Don't know about the binoculars.

It appears that there are 2 different scopes being called Bushnell Elite.
I would definitely take a Japanese Elite over a Philippine Diamondback.
Would take the Diamondback over the Chinese Elite, which is the one with the side focus.
Old August 30, 2013, 12:11 AM   #9
ronl

As to the scopes, I'd probably go with the Vortex. I do have a Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 that I really do like, but I have two Vortex scopes that I like even better. Vortex's warranty is also hands down the best in the business.
Old August 30, 2013, 01:25 AM   #10
ntg

So I may go against the grain, but I recently did a lot of research before buying and bough the Legend HD binos in 8 power. I compared a lot, and they do great. The only ones I like more are the Vanguards that have a $50 rebate on them right now.

Scopes, I have a 3-9x40 Elite limited Edition I got for a steal and it's great for the money I paid. I also recently got a Legend HD scope 4.5-14X44 and it's great too.

The diamondbacks are not good on the eye relief IMO. The vortex line has some good stuff in it, but you've got to get into the Viper line i feel.

Good luck...the shopping is fun.
Old August 30, 2013, 05:40 AM   #11
hooligan1

The Diamondbacks are not good on the eye relief IMO.

3.1 to 3.4 isnt good enough,? It's plenty of relief when the rifles held properly.
If you haven't actually picked one up and compared then don't write about it.
I've owned both the Bushnell 3200 elite, and a Diamondback sits on my Savage 110, .270 winchester.
Old August 31, 2013, 12:32 PM   #12
reynolds357

I have never observed an eye relief problem with the Diamondback. Edge clarity at low power is a Diamond back problem. Long Eye relief is not real important to me. I actually run into too much eye relief being a problem on occasion.
Having said that, line for line, Bushnell and Vortex are about equal. The high end Bushnell optics are truly high end. The same can be said for Vortex. They both make "blister pack junk" right up to optics than can rival the best of the best.