The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 1, 2016, 07:30 PM   #1
44 Dave

Short stroke single action revolver

I have seen adds for "short stroke" SA revolvers both Pietta and Uberti.
What all is changed to make this possible, and can this mod. be added to a standard gun.
This is offered in only .45 or .357, I want it in .44 WCF.
Old April 1, 2016, 08:26 PM   #2
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

CAS gunsmiths have been short stroking revolvers for a number of years now. Strictly for fast shooting CAS shooters. The lockwork is modified so the hammer does not travel as far to full cock, but the cylinder still rotates fully to bring the next chamber to battery. There is no practical reason to do this to a revolver if you are not shooting it in competition.

You can buy a short stroked Uberti Cattleman from Taylors.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-...cattleman.html

You can buy a kit for short stroking a Ruger Vaquero.

http://sbgwllc.myshopify.com/product...ort-stroke-kit

Other than that, I am not aware of any kits for short stroking a Colt clone, but of course I might be wrong.

If you want a short stroked 44-40 you will have to contact one of the cowboy gunsmiths.
Old April 1, 2016, 11:13 PM   #3
44 Dave

Thought we might have a cowboy gunsmith in the crowd that would tell us what the geometry of the cam/bolt, hand and sear need to be for this to be possible. and if all the differences are only in the hammer in it's mod. configuration.
I will never be as fast as those guys shooting "mouse farts" but am loosing some of my hand movement and wonder if less reach for the hammer would ever help when that arthritis is bothering.