The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 12, 2009, 10:55 AM   #1
wpcexpert

First Bow Kill 2009

Mathews REEZEN draws it's first blood. Birthday gift from the wife, she was quite happy I killed with it. Not a great big deer but not one I'd throw back.

Back Story:
I was just sitting there Saturday evening, about 6:30, I hear a deer slipping down the ridge toward me. It’s been raining so the leaves aren’t very loud. He was checking out a trail that I guess does had been using. He stopped just right at 18 yds. I held the pin too him, but I dropped a bit on the shot. It hit a bit low and forward. When the arrow hit him, his front leg kicked the arrow at a 45 degree angle back and went out guts. Well I get down thinking the shot was a bit low, but still thru the heart. When I got to my arrow, stomach material. My heart sank as well. I had good blood just mixed. I started into it for about 15 yds and decided to turn around and head to the truck. Just to give him some time. I down loaded what I didn’t need and went back after him. I took a different trail back to my stand and walked right up to him. NICE!, no work involved. He’s not much but will do. The shot took off the back of his heart. Might have gone 60 yds.

Forgot to put Stats.
- Mathews Reezen 7.0
- Grim Reaper broadhead
- Carbon Tech Arrow

101_0321.JPG

101_0323.JPG

CDY_0006.jpg

I got one picture of him on the trail camera. I thought he was a 6 from the pic. But he has the same funky tines.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by wpcexpert; October 12, 2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Forgot info
Old October 12, 2009, 12:31 PM   #2
hunter33

Nice deer. Glad he didnt go far.
Old October 12, 2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Dr. A

Good shooting!

Trail cams are a mixed blessing. Shows me what I'm missing, but what I can "get". My wife isn't to fond of them since its extended my season. My last years buck came at quite a bit of effort (and time). Any buck is a trophy when you're bow hunting! Nothing else like it!

Where are you hunting? Any idea how much he weighed?

Last edited by Dr. A; October 12, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old October 12, 2009, 06:38 PM   #4
BIGR

Nice going and the thing that counts is you got him with little effort.
Old October 12, 2009, 07:37 PM   #5
wpcexpert

Hunting in Arkansas. Loading him up in the back of the truck, I'd say he went 120-125. Not too aweful big round here.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by wpcexpert; October 12, 2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old October 17, 2009, 10:46 AM   #6
Claims Rep.

Nice deer. Congrats.