The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 31, 2001, 12:58 PM   #1
Aggie

Howdy,

Can ya'll help me acquire info on a newly purchased Colt Cobra 2" bbl in .38 Spcl., S/N B87xxx?

Is the frame plated aluminum? Cylinder material? What can/should be done about frame plating that's flaking off? There are two small spots - one visible on the frame & the other is hidden by the Pachmyar(?) grips.

Though I've shot handguns & rifles for years (nay, decades!), I am just now getting "into" their internal aspects.

In advance, thanks for your time and efforts.....
Old June 1, 2001, 12:24 AM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Date of manufacture 1972.

Frame: Aluminum alloy.

Cylinder is steel.

Nickle plating was an estra-cost option, though seldom chosen, in the Cobra.

If the nickle plate is factory original, you may have a valuable-enough variation to interest a collector. If you get an offer substantially above what you gave for it, you might consider selling and getting another revolver.

Problem is, unless you establish a personal rapport with someone at the Colt Custom Shop, you don't really know what result you'll get nowadays. A properly done factory re-nickle would be okay.

As a rule, collectors prefer original finish, even if somewhat marred, to a re-finish. You write "Two small spots--" How much do these matter to you? Have they enlarged since you got the piece? Have you shot it? If 'twere mine, I'd carefully measure the plating defects and see if they grow any after you shoot it.

Do you have the original wooden stocks? If not, you can probably obtain them from Gun Parts Company.

Best of luck--
Johnny
Old June 1, 2001, 10:12 AM   #3
Aggie

Thanks!

That's just the info I needed.

With respect to the spots in the plating, they're small and seem to be stable. One was visible at purchase, the other spot is just under the edge of the Pachmyar grips. Other than appearance, the flaking spots do not "bother" me. The Pachmyar grips were already installed & no others were available. My hands *USUSALLY* do not fit factory grips, so the Pachmyar is pretty close to "just right."

I have personally put ~200-300 rounds through it since I bought it about 6 weeks ago. It's my carry piece, for now. As most others, I'm ALWAYS looking for something "jes' a li'l bit better"! hehe

One thing your post implies, though not stated, is that I probably should cease & desist carrying +Ps in the li'l thing. I've fired a few just to aclimatize my self to the recoil. Regular ~130 gr range loads are it's normal fare. There's a gun show this weekend, so I'll try to pick up something there.

Thanks again for your time and effort. God bless ya'll.....

"CCW is like underwear, you wear it even if someone prefers you socially naked...especially if they do...it is never for your benefit that someone would ask you to disarm." - Oleg Volk
Old June 1, 2001, 01:54 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Plus P in Cobra

Aggie--

Actually, I am not nearly so sensitive to the "carry" of +P loads as many are.

Just for illustration--I used to shoot +P equivalent handloads in a M-37 Airweight Chief's Special fairly often. After second rebuild to fix end shake probolems, I decided to PRACTICE with light loads in the Allayouminimimium frame snubs, but to go ahead and CARRY the +Ps. My elderly Colt Agent (1968 production) even at this moment holds the Winchester Dallas/Chicago/FBI +P load, a 158 LSWCHP. This is a pretty good fistful in the lightweight resolver, but it is not gonna blow anything up--just speeds wear and tear a LOT. And it is accurate, and will expand, even from a two-inch.

And even the old M-37 five-shot carries same load, or the Remington equivalent.

I long ago decided that the little wheel guns are not fun to shoot in lightweight trim--They are as near as possible to a multi-shot derringer, and is pretty much just for getting somebody off of me. Believe me, if we're gonna go serve felony warrants or do witness protection, even if I can't carry a long gun, I have some REAL sidearms. But the small lightweights are VERY convenient at times, huh?
Old June 3, 2001, 06:41 PM   #5
Swamp Yankee

Aggie
I too have a Colt Cobra, blued version that has been to my gun smith for an action/trigger job. It is my primary carry gun. I understand the need to try something else but strongly urge you to keep that Cobra.
I just looked at a Cobra at a local shop which was nickle plated LNIB. Asking price was $495 and the owner who normally deals would not move.
As for +P ammo, the Colt Manual states "limited use is acceptable, extensive use will accelerate wear", so the gun will handle +P loading. I carry 158 gr. LSWCHP +P in mine but practice with standard loads.
Take Care
Old June 3, 2001, 09:10 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

At a gunshow a few months ago I saw a Colt Cobra with an unfortunatly not-unusual problem...

In the Colts, the cylinder bolt is offset to the right side of the bottom strap, leaving a relatively thin area in the frame.

My friend was thinking of purchasing this Cobra until I showed him how the aluminum frame had been bowed out at the cylinder bolt cut, probably through abuse of the gun over the years involving slamming the cylinder home.

He ended up paying a bit more for a later Cobra that didn't have this problem.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 4, 2001, 10:17 AM   #7
Aggie

Thanks, ALL, for much needed information

I appreciate ya'll taking the time to help me out.

The frame will be scrutinized for warping this evening. I certaintly haven't noticed it up to now.

The next gun show (missed this weekend's) will be scoured for buyers/traders. I'm just about convinced I need a HEAVIER gun - such as a 357 w/ a 3-4" bbl. The increased sight radius will aid in IDPA-type fun shooting.

Thanks again.....

"CCW is like underwear, you wear it even if someone prefers you socially naked...especially if they do...it is never for your benefit that someone would ask you to disarm." - Oleg Volk
Old June 4, 2001, 10:28 AM   #8
ahenry

Howdy

I don't have anything to add to your question but I just thought I would welcome a fellow Agg. There are a few of us around...

Class of '00 myself