The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2015, 11:36 AM   #1
longshank

Ammo Recommendation

I have a 1:7" twist 5.56 AR-15 and I'm researching bullet weights. Some folks say lighter constructed bullets can come apart or be inaccurate as they are spun too fast out of a fast twist barrel. I would like to try some V-Max but wanted to see if anyone has any experience in a fast twist AR. Would stepping up to a 60gr Vmax make any difference over a 50-55gr or is it more an issue with the construction of the bullet rather than weight? It shoots Nosler 60gr Partitions fine but they are a bit pricey. I am planning to try a box of 62gr Soft points soon. Any thoughts?
Old January 6, 2015, 01:01 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The fast twist was developed to stabilize the long tracer rounds that go with SS 109 ammo. It's faster than is best for most light bullets. 80 grains match bullets will like it better. Note that due to their weight, they go slower, so rate of spin is lower, too, and bullet core stripping becomes less likely with them. However, if you download light bullets to match the heavy bullet velocities, they won't have extra RPM spin. Just be prepared that at normal-for-wight velocities they may fall apart, either in terms of accuracy or literally disintegrate in air from the excessive RPM.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 6, 2015, 01:17 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I can tell you for sure that a 6.5 twist .223 will take a 75 grain Amax at top velocity apart in midair. They are quite accurate if loaded down a bit.

What is your application? You don't seem to have a type of bullet in mind, just something cheaper than what is otherwise satisfactory.
Old January 6, 2015, 01:41 PM   #4
longshank

Prefer a good hog round. While FMJ will work for hunting there are better options such as VMax and PSP as well as the pricier ones such as Partition and TSX. I would like to stay around 50-60 cents a round. Otherwise I might as well go with the aforementioned bullets. I figure if I can buy twice as many rounds for same money and "similar" performance then it's a win-win.
Old January 6, 2015, 02:54 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Hornady has some of the best made less expensive bullets. I would call them and ask which one they recommend most highly for hogs. It might be, with their thick skins, you'll do best with a slower but heavier bullet anyway to get the added sectional density.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 6, 2015, 03:12 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

You don't want a V-Max of any weight for hogs. V-Maxes are varmint bullets. Varmint bullets are designed to expand rapidly upon impact with little penetration.
A Hornady 70 grain GMX or the like(A Sierra 65 grain SBT GameKing) will do. Both are made for penetration with controlled expansion. An FMJ may not be legal anyway. No match bullets at all.
Old January 6, 2015, 03:23 PM   #7
longshank

I wish I could find Sierra GameKing in loaded ammunition. The only thing I've found are bullets for reloading. I'm not into reloading (at least not yet). Thanks for all the input guys!
Old January 6, 2015, 03:28 PM   #8
Jeff92

Federal made the rounds you are looking for in there tactical line. You may want to look for them. We tested a bunch through our platform which is a 14.5 barrel with a 1-8 twist accuracy was OK but not exceptional.
Old January 6, 2015, 04:34 PM   #9
Longshot4

Hornady and Barns as well as Nosler... sell hunting ammunition.
Old January 6, 2015, 06:14 PM   #10
skizzums

Winchester 62gr power point should be easy to find and will fly good with your brrel, reat deer round, rumored anyways. think its sold as .223 super X

*edit: 64gr

Last edited by skizzums; January 6, 2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old January 6, 2015, 11:20 PM   #11
longshank

Thanks!