The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2013, 12:31 PM   #1
adamc

LULA magazine loader ? is it worth it ?

LULA magazine loader ? is it worth it ?

The one I saw does 9mm to 45acp
about $30
or are these just gadgets ?
Old January 7, 2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Xfire68

I have one for 5.56 and never use it. I only consider using a mag loader if it's difficult to do by hand.

My girlfriend has to use a mag loader to load her SR9 mags but she can easily load my CZ 75 mags without one.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Yung.gunr

I got a different one for my wife when she was using an LC9, but now that she is using a P238 she doesn't need one. I have a loader that a friend gave me for my XD9. I used it when I first bought the gun but it just sits in the safe now. I can't remember the last time is used one.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Patriot86

My wife uses one for her M&P shield, works pretty well for her.

I have a strip lula I use on my AR mags to quickly load from stripper clips, freaking thing is awesome.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:45 PM   #5
cwcoolcow

IMHO, YES For me I can load much faster and with minimal effort. That's important when your paying for range time by the hour. I can spend far more time perfecting my shooting than loading. I like them so much I have the large size, as you described, a smaller size that I use for my single stack .32, and a modified one for my .22 CZ Kadet.
Old January 7, 2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Deutscher

I use my speed loaders primarily for my 1911 and XDM 9mm magazines. Loading XDM magazines to their full capacity of 19 cartridges is tedious by hand, but is effortless using the speed loader.
Old January 7, 2013, 02:33 PM   #7
9mm

Yes, save my fingers on the last rounds, where it really gets hard. I use my 9mm-45 on 380 before and it worked.
Old January 7, 2013, 02:33 PM   #8
BarryLee

Yes, I love mine...
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 7, 2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Hoosier_Daddy

I use mine most of the time. Makes it easy (and fast) to load my 9 mm XDm 19 round magizines and my 9 mm S&M M&P 17 round magazines.
It isn't a necessary item but I am so glad I bought one.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:00 PM   #10
ScotchMan

I have the 9mm to .45ACP one. I love it. Never had a problem loading mags before, but now I can do it a lot faster and with less effort. Also a plus for my girlfriend who doesn't have the hand strength to load magazines fully without it.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old January 7, 2013, 03:06 PM   #11
ShootingNut

Well made, loads all of my handgun magazines fast and easy, and
it is worth every cent.
I have HKS mag loaders, but when adding my M&P compact to my collection,
my HKS that I had would not work. Therefore the uplula which is fast, and loads any size magazine (handgun).
Old January 7, 2013, 03:09 PM   #12
evilleprichaun

Yes

I have one I think its worth it, i only use it for my 30 rounders for my 40 or 357 . And its worth it to save your fingers.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:23 PM   #13
Sid

I am a senior citizen with arthritis in both hands. Loading magazines was becoming impossible for me until I got my UPLULA's. I have both sizes, the regular one and the smaller one for loading rounds like the .32 ACP. Both work like a charm. I use them for loading .32, 9mm and .45 ACP.

Basically, I would recommend these for anybody. It's an incredible gadget for a very reasonable price.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:29 PM   #14
Torquemada

Anyone who can't load faster AND more comfortably with one...is using it wrong.
You can hand it to someone with less than optimum hand strength (young, old, arthritic) and they can load mags, period, which is reason enough to get one.

For handguns, it's faster than hand, faster than the factory sheetmetal or plastic loaders that come with some, faster than other aftermarket loaders. Hardly any more effort getting the last round in than the first, if you have extra-power mag springs or +2 extensions or notoriously-difficult-to-top-off mags.

The rifle-specific models: for some, strippers are quicker - IF you remembered to bring your spoon . They do unload FAL, AK and AR mags quickly - don't know about other models.
Ain't no sense worrying 'bout things you got control over, 'cause if you got control over 'em, ain't no sense in worrying. And there ain't no sense in worrying 'bout things you ain't got control over, 'cause if you ain't got control over 'em, ain't no sense in worrying. - Satchel Paige
Old January 7, 2013, 03:29 PM   #15
robhof

robhof

Yes they work as advertized and save wear and tear on the fingers, especially with 9mm high cap mags.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:31 PM   #16
zincwarrior

They are absolutely excellent for magazines that have heavy spring tension, or whose lip design increases the chance of cutting or gashing yourself.
Old January 7, 2013, 04:30 PM   #17
Seven High

Yes. They will save you slicing up your fingers on sharp magazine lips during loading. For that feature alone they are worth the expense.
Old January 7, 2013, 04:32 PM   #18
Seven High

The company, located in Israel, will be releasing a Lula for the Ruger BX25 and Butler Creek 25 round magazines soon.
Old January 7, 2013, 04:34 PM   #19
Technosavant

For some guns there's not much point. I wouldn't bother with one for a single stack .45ACP magazine (like a 1911).

For magazines with decent capacity and smaller calibers, they're great. My 17 round 9mm mags would be nearly impossible to load up without the thing. It definitely speeds up the process too. IMO, for most guns it is indeed worth the money.
Old January 7, 2013, 05:12 PM   #20
bossman

Best $30 gadget you can buy. Works great when you're preloading extra mags for that range trip.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:28 PM   #21
TailGator

I got one for a stocking stuffer at Christmas a couple of years ago, and immediately became a fan. Handy, simple, and built to last. Definitely worth the price.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:51 PM   #22
dayman

I bought one a while back to see what all the hubbub was about, and while I like it I don't find that I use it a lot.

I don't have to pay for range time, so time isn't really and issue, and loading mags is the one activity where having gorilla fingers is actually useful.
So, it's not really anything that works for me.

However, if you're regularly in a rush, or have any trouble getting the last couple rounds in, they seem like they would be very handy. They definitely work better than the free ones that come with your gun.
Old January 7, 2013, 07:15 PM   #23
timn8er

#1 on the UpLula! I use mine on all my Smiths. Saves wear & tear on
my fingers. Its fast & easy to use. I won't be without one at the
range.
Old January 7, 2013, 07:18 PM   #24
Frontpage

I have for for 9mm and 45ACP and think it is great. Especially nice when trying to stuff new double stack mags full for the first several times. I never go to the range without it.
Old January 7, 2013, 08:04 PM   #25
ToddG

Add me to the "worth every penny" crowd. Brilliant. Have one for both .40 and 9mm pistols and STANAG mags for the AR.

The AR one tho is for stripper clips. Makes it reeeeel fast to reload 10 (or 30) even if they aren't on clips. The one-at-a-time .223/5.56 one I think may be less useful.

Best money you'll ever spend if you value your fingers.