The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 28, 2014, 01:09 AM   #26
Metal god

RC20

Really ? you still feel this way after YOUR own (my take on annealing thread) http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...e+on+annealing There was a lot of good back and forth in that thread . I believe I , along with others in that thread proved you can anneal cases consistently at a very low cost .We posted links to are research and I did quite a few test in that thread that took time and effort . I then posted the results with pics . That now seems to have been a waist of my time . Anyone else interested . My test start at post #43 and go on through out the rest of the thread . IMHO the whole thread is a good read because I feel we proved not only that it works and how to be very consistent , It does not need to break the bank while doing so . Exactly what RC20 was asking for at the onset of the thread

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; July 28, 2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old July 28, 2014, 07:04 AM   #27
Magnum Wheel Man

I normally put mine in a cake pan filled with water 3/4 of the way up my cases... last ones I annealed, were Hornady 460 S&W cases that were not annealed at the factory, that I split a couple on the 1st reloading
Old July 28, 2014, 07:58 AM   #28
jeager106

I have about 100 30-06 brass once fired I found in a shoe box.
No doubt fired with corrosive primers back in the day.
Is it worth keeping/should I anneal?
I tumble cleaned & it looks new now but question it's reloadability due to corrosive primer. Thoughts?
Old July 28, 2014, 08:03 PM   #29
F. Guffey

Quote:
I tumble cleaned & it looks new now but question it's reloadability due to corrosive primer. Thoughts?
If there was damage caused by the corrosive primers it would have been to the barrel. If the barrel was cleaned after firing, no problem.

Before that? Primers used mercury, mercury has an infinity to brass, the case was scrap when the trigger was pulled. Mercury made the case brittle, there was an attempt to tin the inside of the case but by that time primers became corrosive in another way.

I have reloading/shooting books that were published in the early 50s, there was no distinction between the two primers.

F. Guffey
Old July 28, 2014, 08:09 PM   #30
James K
Member In Memoriam

By the 1950's both mercuric and corrosive (potassium chlorate) primers had been pretty well phased out in both commercial ammo and primers for reloading. Some military loads still used corrosive primers up to 1952.

Jim
Old July 28, 2014, 08:27 PM   #31
F. Guffey

Quote:
I have about 100 30-06 brass once fired I found in a shoe box.

jeager106, your cases have head stamps , some head stamps include the year included in the head stamp, there is a chance your cases are not corrosive. If your cases are not 100+ years old, clean then, load them and then shoot.

then there are bar codes on boxes, we have no way of knowing when the cases were placed into the shoe box, again, it is not the powder that is corrosive, it is the primer, it is possible the shooter shot ammo from the 40s in the 70s. If the shooter cleaned the barrel the crises has passed.

F. Guffey