The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2013, 11:19 PM   #1
FloridaGuy

Question after shooting reloads today

I loaded several rounds of .38 Special last night using the following components.
  1. 125 Jacketed bullet
  2. 3.5gr of Clay's powder
  3. CCI Small Pistol Primer

Now to my question. When firiing these rounds there was a lot of flames out of around the chambers and out of the barrel of the firearm. Then I shot 50 rounds of commercial loaded rounds and did not see all of the flames that I did with my reloads. Is this common with Clay's powder?
Old February 9, 2013, 11:23 PM   #2
a7mmnut

It's fairly common with most shotgun powders, excepting IMR 7625 and sphericals. Flake powders also burn dirtier than ball or spherical blends.

-7-
Old February 10, 2013, 08:03 PM   #3
FloridaGuy

I picked up a can of Power Pistol powder today. Going to give it a try and see what happens. I was told it was a good all around powder.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:29 PM   #4
ljnowell

If you think you saw flame and fire from the first loads wait till you get a load of power pistol!
Old February 10, 2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

Powders like W231 and AA5 would probably be better for .38 special. You won't get as much flash as you have been getting. Pistol Powder is known for creating a lot of flash from 9 mm loads. I would think it is going to have an even greater flash than you have been getting. There are a great many powders you can use for .38 special. Each powder has its good and bad points. This is why people have different favorites for the powder they prefer. Faster burning powders are generally used for lower velocity and light recoil loads. The slower the burn the more you normally can increase the speed of the bullet without increasing the pressures too much. There are limits on this as there are in everything.