The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 20, 2010, 12:33 PM   #1
hihosilver

Are European American Armory quality??

Ive looking to get a SA/DA 40 or 45 cal, since all I have are striker fired. I am wanting that single action feel. I was looking at the FNP pistols that are really nice. I noticed the selection of EAA, and was wondering what EAA owners think about them. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/15615

Are these quality guns? How is the trigger? Im not so much trying to compare it with a FNP. Just wanted feedback on your pros and cons on the EAA. This is not going to be a carry gun, so this size is not a issue.
Old August 20, 2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Sid

I purchased an EAA Witness Match in 9 mm early this year. I have shot over 3000 rounds through it so far without a hitch. It feeds all of my handloads without any problems. It is very easy to disassemble for cleaning. Accuracy is superb and is one of the chief selling points. This is a heavy all steel pistol which is well made and also very attractive to look at. I always get comments about it at the range. Last but not least, it is reasonably priced. If I remember correctly, I paid about $500 for mine. I would recommend it without reservation.
Old August 20, 2010, 04:02 PM   #3
wbw

I've got the Witness Elite Match in 9mm. Terrific gun in my opinion. I shoot more accurately with it than any of my other six 9mms. The SA only trigger is very nice. Almost as good as a 1911 trigger.

EAA does not have such a good reputation, but the Tanfoglio made Witnesses pistols are not to be dismissed. I bought mine used so if I do have a problem I'll take or send it to someone else for repair.

Old August 20, 2010, 05:33 PM   #4
oldandslow

hhs, 8/21/10

I bought two new Witness .45 pistols in the Wonder finish, one a compact and one a full size. Both experienced frame and slide cracking at a three thousand round count (5 cracks in the compact, 2 in the full size). EAA would not fix or replace the defective parts because the pistols had been hard chromed due to corrosion issues. Use the search function and type in "Witness crack" and you will get a number of past threads on the topic. Of note, the cracking seems to be mainly in the .45 and 10 mm chamberings. And if you have a problem heaven help you because EAA customer service won't.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old August 20, 2010, 07:40 PM   #5
tekarra

oldandslow,
That was sure a splach of cold water. I was looking at purchasing the pair with which you had problems. Will have to think about it now.
Old August 21, 2010, 05:10 AM   #6
Lucky 7

I'm on my 3rd and 4th Witness without trouble (all .45s). They have all been accurate with great SINGLE-ACTION triggers (the reset on CZ-75 pattern guns are great!). I've owned 2 Carry-Comps (a friend offered to buy them off me for a profit and I went for it), a Full-Sized .45 with a .22 Kit, and a Full Sized Polymer (current house gun).

oldandslow
Did you change out the recoil springs in you guns? Tanfoglios are grossly undersprung and I've found 18# springs (as opposed to the 14# stock springs). The excessive pounding can wear on the gun on the whole.

Regards,
Lucky
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC
Old August 22, 2010, 09:04 PM   #7
azredhawk44

EAA is not a manufacturer.

EAA is an importer.

Some of their stuff is outright junk.

The Witness product line is good though, and is probably the pinnacle of their product line.
Old August 22, 2010, 09:08 PM   #8
mec

Quote:
And if you have a problem heaven help you because EAA customer service won't.
of course not. It would be too much trouble and we wouldn't want them to go to any trouble, would we????

If you are set on a Witness, fortunately, there appears to be a substantial aftermarket vendor you can find via google. The guns are popular in europe and have a significant following here. Some owners seem to have good reports about the above vendor and also have had favorable response from the Tanfoglio company in Italy.
Old August 23, 2010, 12:02 AM   #9
free2game

As far as the polymer lines of pistols go, those Israeli Polymer CZ clones called BULs have a much better reputation.
Old November 7, 2014, 02:01 PM   #10
MadDog56

EAA Tanfoglio Full Size 9 mm Witness

Minor slide fit and finish question when I bought my first Tanfoglio pistol. They asked me to mail it in for inspection. Unbelievably outstanding service from Dawn, Paul in Service, and Christie in Operations, and everyone else connected to my service request . Courtesy, efficiency, quality and customer satisfaction is clearly their goal, and they exceeded it. They not only fixed the problem, but as a courtesy added an ambidextrous safety, an extra magazine, and a great T-shirt. Because of that level of service I am going to purchase another Tanfoglio (after the next paycheck....), probably the polymer Witness. Thank you, EAA!
By the way... great pistol, bulletproof CZ75 clone made with Italian quality, nice trigger, weight contributes to little felt recoil. Though early, no FTF, FTE, or other malfunctions. Magazines are high quality, probably made by Mec-Gar.
Though I have heard that finding a holster is a problem, fits and retains very well in my Bianchi Evader.
Old November 7, 2014, 02:35 PM   #11
Sevens

I think the OP is already on to this but it is very much worth mentioning that the two early posts in this thread are referencing the Witness Elite Match pistols and it simply must be pointed out that these are on another level from the base Witness line and also from all the other products that EAA slaps their name on. (as said, EAA makes nothing)

I have a Witness Elite Match also and it has been a phenomenal handgun for over 4,000 rounds, but I did my fair share of 'research' before purchasing also and all evidence suggests that the Elite Match and the guns on levels above it are simply built to different and far better standards than the base guns below them.

The guns that the OP is asking about? I would like to think they are decent for the nice price. But confusing the Elite Match, the Silver, the Hunter, the Gold Team and all the other Tanfoglio premium guns with them really doesn't answer the question.
Old November 7, 2014, 04:34 PM   #12
carguychris

[rescinded, mods please delete]

Last edited by carguychris; November 7, 2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old November 7, 2014, 04:40 PM   #13
Snyper

Quote:
Just to clarify for the OP...
The OP hasn't logged in since April 2011
Old November 7, 2014, 04:58 PM   #14
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper
The OP hasn't logged in since April 2011
Ooops.

Post deleted.
Old November 7, 2014, 06:16 PM   #15
Crankgrinder

Ill chime in if someone hasn't already. At that price why not go for a Cz tac. Sports? Or perhaps a cz75? They are the real deal in that style of pistol. EAA witnesses are copies of them.