The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2012, 03:37 PM   #1
tobnpr

Is there a way to dye brass?

I'm getting ready to start trimming 9x19 brass to use in my 9x18 CZ...
I sure don't want to get this stuff confused with my own, or others at the range, 9x19...

I was thinking about a colored Sharpie, but was wondering if there's some sort of metal dye that I can use on the cases to distinguish them clearly?
Old February 8, 2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Uncle Buck

When I shoot with someone who also collects their brass, I use a sharpie to color the tops (Primers) of the cartridge. It wears off in the tumbler, but lasts long enough for me to claim my own.
Old February 8, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3
vranasaurus

When i shootuspsa or service rifle i just run a sharpie in the rim recess.
Old February 8, 2012, 03:55 PM   #4
10-96

I was looking for the same thing some time back for brass separation/idnetification at bullseye shoots. The prominent thing that came up was that the process involves a chemical action/reaction that imparts it's effects on a part of the shooting processs that contains a heck of a lot of pressure.

I don't know the exact nature of the stuff I'm about to post a link to, but if you go with it- I would certainly only wipe the base area where the headstamp is as that's the thickest and most durable portion of the case.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/b...lution8oz.aspx

EDIT: What I ended up doing was taking a felt tip paint pen and putting a very light ring of red paint into the extractor groove/ring. It stays OK and the .45ACP has such a generous groove and the paint is so thin- it does not effect function or reliability. It also has not ended up inside the extractor or any other part of my pistols.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old February 8, 2012, 04:11 PM   #5
FlyFish

Quote:
When I shoot with someone who also collects their brass, I use a sharpie to color the tops (Primers) of the cartridge. It wears off in the tumbler, but lasts long enough for me to claim my own.
That's what I do as well, just run a stripe across the case heads with a Sharpie. When the cartridges are all lined up in a box it just takes a second or two to mark them all. Some of the marker gets transferred to the bolt face, but comes right off when I clean the gun. Guys I shoot with regularly have different colors "assigned" so we can keep things straight.
Old February 8, 2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Ultravox

I also run a sharpie in the rim of my .45 ACP brass. They really stand out on the floor.

When I'm developing loads I use different colored sharpies for different loads - with a color key on the label.
Old February 8, 2012, 04:57 PM   #7
serf 'rett

Bought a package of multi color Sharpies - use them mostly for reload identification - color the primer and color the outer rim - no color for minimum load, green primers for next step, green rims for third step, then blue, then red, and finally black for max loads. Makes case inspection easy.

There are some ways to produce different colored brass through chemical reactions, but I can't remember where I saw the link.
Old February 8, 2012, 06:48 PM   #8
tobnpr

Wow- it's unanimous!

I don't think I've ever seen that before here

Sharpie it is...
Old February 8, 2012, 06:56 PM   #9
overkill0084

I appear to have lost the link I had for this sort of thing. After a brief search, this is some of the stuff I found:

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/pow...ing-brass.html

http://www.sciencecompany.com/patina...ormulas.htm#17

I haven't tried it. I have no idea whether it will weaken the brass. It is intriguing though.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old February 8, 2012, 07:30 PM   #10
Mike40-11

I know a guy that uses Dykem to dye the bases of his brass. Pink. Nobody steals them and everybody knows which are his.

Dykem is a metal stain used to mark metal for scribing layouts.
Old February 9, 2012, 12:03 AM   #11
Jammer Six

Does the Dykem Blue come of when the brass is tumbled?
Old February 9, 2012, 07:48 AM   #12
griz

I've never used Dykem on cases, but used a fair amount of it on steel and aluminum. It's designed so it scratches easily with clean lines, so I would think it would come off readily in a tumbler.
Old February 9, 2012, 08:23 AM   #13
woody wood

i do reload for 9x18 by using 9x19 cases.
i have used a sharpie and works ok.
but since i do some stain glass work,i thought i would try some black
patina liquid.it is used to turn the lead black. it works great.and happens within seconds.i just do the base by putting a thin layer in a flat tray and dipping them in-base only.
google the brand name-novacan black patina and you will see it's in
a white bottle with blue letters and cost around $5.00.
a little goes a long way.the bottle i have i think is 8 oz and has lasted years even for using it for its intended use. have noticed no issues to brass or primer pockets.
Old February 9, 2012, 09:05 AM   #14
Sarge

I have marked .45 ACP cases, used for pest loads, to differentiate them from hotter loads using the same 200 grain LSWC bullet. Birchwood Casey's offers a brass blackening solution intended for that purpose.
Old February 9, 2012, 12:34 PM   #15
Kayser

I run a colored sharpie over the case heads when they're sitting in the ammo box after loading. Comes right off after tumbling.
Old February 9, 2012, 03:19 PM   #16
Nevmavrick

I bought a pack of multi-color Marksalot. Red is fairly easy to clean in the tumbler, Blue is more resistant.
Have fun,
Gene
Old February 9, 2012, 03:26 PM   #17
Jammer Six

I've always marked the bottoms of the cases with a Sharpie, but I'm interested in the idea of being able to spot my brass on the floor before I pick it up.
Old February 9, 2012, 04:31 PM   #18
Pahoo

Cold Bluing

Yes, I too use a Sharpie and in addition, I also use any left over Cold Blue, I happen to have around. ....

I routinely rework of assemble Field Rods for traditional M/L's and to give it an old age look, I carefully apply some Cold Bluing. It turns the new brass a dull brown and suspect that is basically what the specialty products have in them. I believe it's nitric acid. Not sure how this might play in your usage but you can always spot it or whatever. Just be sure to wash off the excess. ...

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; February 9, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old February 9, 2012, 06:01 PM   #19
Jammer Six

What's an M/L?
Old February 9, 2012, 07:33 PM   #20
Pahoo

Sorry bout dat !!!

M/L's = Muzzleloaders. Some traditionals are loaded with brass and this helps to give them an aged look. ....

Be Safe !!!