The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 11, 2006, 08:49 PM   #1
Smokinjoefraser

Could Use a little Identification Help!!

I have a Colt pistol that appears to be from the mid-1800s
It has all matching serial#s on it and the serial# on the end of the grip is 22673; the same serial# is on the underside of the trigger guard which appears to be brass;

It really looks almost identical to a photo I saw of an M1860 Colt Army .44
(which you can see here at the very top-o-the list: http://www.antiqueguns.com/gunid.htm)

I was also hoping there was a database i could access that might list Colt serial numbers and provide the model / make etc?? any clues?

Nevertheless, I can email photos to anyone who is interested and king enough to help. I am more of a knife collector that gun collector but dabble in the guns quite a bit.....but this one is over my head!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the time from anyone who can help!!!
Old July 13, 2006, 03:27 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

What is the caliber of your gun? Length of barrel? Type of rammer? Is the cylinder rebated (large in front, then stepped down)?

All Colts of that era have the same general shape and without a knowledge of scale, all look very much alike, making it hard to identify a gun from a picture.

If you have digital pictures, can you post them here so we can look at what you have?

Jim
Old July 14, 2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Smokinjoefraser

thanks!

the barrel length is 8" i dont really know what kind of rammer and cylinder, but i have attached some photos for you to study and see if you can determine.

i can send more detailed photos or closeups of any areas of the gun to your email if you wish.

As i said before, i am not very knowledgeable about this sort of thing and could use all the help i can get.

my email address is [email protected]

thanks for your help, i sincerely appreciate it. i am looking to sell the gun if i can figure out the details and assess a value, so if you can help me, i would give you first right of refusal should you be interested.

smokinjoefraser
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun1a.jpg (169.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg gun2.jpg (189.8 KB, 53 views)
Old July 14, 2006, 08:12 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Revolver illustrated is an 1860 Army.
If a genuine Colt, that number was made in 1861 according to Blue Book.
There are copies, closeups and readouts of all markings will help tell if it is authentic.
Old July 14, 2006, 10:17 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Correct, it is an 1860 Army. I won't rule out a reproduction, but I think it very unlikely given the gun's condition, and I am going to assume that it is original.

The gun is what was called the "4 screw" model since looking from the side you see four screws in the frame. The largest screw doesn't hold any parts; it and its matching screw on the other side are to support the shoulder stock that was issued with some of those revolvers.

The wedge screw is missing, and the wedge is in backward and upside down, but that is easily fixed. The chip out of the grip could be fixed, but I recommend not bothering.

If you want to sell, I suggest taking it to a gun show in your area and see what you get in the way of offers. You can also check prices on the gun auction sites, like Gunbroker and Auctionarms and offer it on one of those sites. Remember, though, that prices vary a lot, and condition is the key, so auction prices do not necessarily reflect what any given gun will bring. It is hard to determine from the pictures how much, if any, original finish your gun has. Even with little or no original finish, if the gun is functional, I think that it would bring around $1500+ on a private sale, considerably less from a dealer.

In any case, do not try to "restore" the gun by refinishing it or changing anything. That could drastically reduce the value.

What do you think, Jim W.?

Jim
Old July 15, 2006, 10:58 AM   #6
Smokinjoefraser

JK,
thanks alot!! i had determined through searching the internet that i did have the "4 screw" model. I, too, feel like it is not a repro considering the condition it is in. i do beleive it is in working condition and i figured out rather quickly that the wedge was in backwards by comparing it to other Model 1860s out on the internet, hahaha! that was funny!

nevertheless, you guys do not know how much i appreciate your help in with this thing. if anyone wants a shot at ownership, just give me a shout.

smokinjoefraser