The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 2, 1999, 01:11 AM   #1
Unkel Gilbey

I've been banging around the idea of a 30-30 Ack Imp. rifle for a while now. Something like a single shot break open style - like a H & R, or a New England Arms rifle. This way, I'd be able to take advantage of bullet styles other than the flat pointed style more typical of Factory 30-30 offerings.
My questions. Is there anyone out there with any experience with making this conversion? Also, what kind of increase in chamber pressure would I expect from this conversion? Would the rifle types that I mentioned be able to handle this increase (if there is any)?
Thanks in advance for any info that you folks can provide. TTFN
Unkel Gilbey
Old July 2, 1999, 02:04 AM   #2
Bullmoose

Dennis Olson in Plains, MT has the reamer. He did a '94 (Marlin I believe) rifle and t/c pistol for a buddy of mine. The buddy indicates that he is really happy with the resulting velocities. Dennis advertises in Rifle and I have been happy with what he has done for me and friends. His phone number is (406) 826-3790. Cartridge Conversions reports the 30-30 Win with a capacity of 44.5 grains of water, the Imp 46.63 so you probably have to push the pressures to get much increase. One thing you do is reduce bolt thrust with the minimum taper which might really help to handle a little more pressure, or that was a theory of old PO if I remember correctly. Another benefit would be less case stretching and trimming giving you longer case life. BTW, he is normally pretty good on promised delivery dates. Good luck, Jim
Old July 2, 1999, 07:08 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Unkel Gilbey, this is a conversion that I do. The rifles chambered for the 30-30, like the 94, are designed to handle pressures up to 38000cup. The Ackley Improved version is within this limit. Any rifle in good condition that is safe for the 30-30 is safe for the Ackley. You can e-mail me if you like. George
Old July 2, 1999, 12:48 PM   #4
Cheapo

Not to mess of George's business, but Bullberry in southern Utah has built quite a reputation with Thompson-Center based rifles. Single shot, break-open, ya know.

I've seen their work and it is beautiful. And they are remarkably accurate--in many calibers, they're not impressed until groups get below .5 MOA. I think they do conversions and sell complete rifles.

They have a web site somewhere...

Of course, anybody kind enough to inhabit this board also deserves our business. Your location indicates that shipping costs won't matter. It'll high no matter what.
Old July 6, 1999, 10:22 AM   #5
flatlander

Dittos to JimDee on reduced bolt thrust and longer case life. Improved cartridges are usually designed to hold more powder and to be loaded to the same pressures as the original cartridge. If you fire a standard factory round in an improved chamber, your velocity will actually be a little less than the same round fired in a standard chamber, since some of the pressure is used in expanding the case to fit the improved chamber. But when you reload the fire-formed case with a couple of grains more powder, then you get more velocity, and when done with the right powder, no increase in pressure.
Old July 11, 1999, 12:58 AM   #6
Unkel Gilbey

Thanks for all the good info. I was under the impression that the Ackley Improved cartridges were a thing of the past for some reason. But I've been seeing more and more lately that this really isn't so, and that there is still much merit in P.O.'s mods. As soon as I return from this tour in Japan I intend to follow through on my intensions and get one those rifles modified to Ackley's specs. Can't wait to see what the results down range are! Thanks again!
Unkel Gilbey

[This message has been edited by Unkel Gilbey (edited July 11, 1999).]