The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 17, 2005, 12:05 PM   #1
john in jax

Concealed Carry in GA?

I have a FL Concealed Carry Permit and am vacationing in GA this weekend where can I and where can't I carry? Here in FL the list of places you CAN'T carry is very long - - no state or federal parks, no banks, no . . . . well you get the idea. Does GA have similar restrictions?
Old October 17, 2005, 12:59 PM   #2
gb_in_ga

"Here in FL the list of places you CAN'T carry is very long - - no state or federal parks, no banks, no . . . . well you get the idea. Does GA have similar restrictions?"

'Fraid so. Check at www.packing.org for the complete list.
Old October 17, 2005, 01:49 PM   #3
blackmind

Quote:
I have a FL Concealed Carry Permit and am vacationing in GA this weekend where can I and where can't I carry? Here in FL the list of places you CAN'T carry is very long - - no state or federal parks, no banks, no . . . . well you get the idea. Does GA have similar restrictions?

This is the second time I have seen you list BANKS as a place you are prohibited from carrying in Florida.

Because I'm such a nice guy, I'm going to here take the trouble of reproducing, verbatim, the section of the Florida Statutes that pertains directly to where a licensee may not carry a concealed weapon by law (This comes directly out of the pamphlet titled CHAPTER 790, FLORIDA STATUTES Weapons and Firearms Tentative Compilation, Pending Final Revision In Florida Statutes by Statutory Revision. It's what they sent me recently after my permit was renewed, intended as a guide for permittees. I don't know why they still call it "tentative," as I'm pretty sure this IS the law at this point.):

(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

PLEASE CITE THE SECTION OF THE FLORIDA STATUTE TO WHICH YOU ARE REFERRING when you say that we are prohibited from carrying in banks, or grant that we are not so prohibited.

Please don't spread information if it is not accurate. It's bad enough we have to remember the places where we really can't carry.

-blackmind

Last edited by blackmind; October 17, 2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old October 18, 2005, 08:23 AM   #4
john in jax

Blackmind I'm sorry if I am incorrect. I haven't read the statutes recently but I do believe I read it in the info/pamphlets/materials I recieved (a long time ago) with the application for my CWP or with the actual CWP. I will be sure to pull the stuff out of the folder and re-read it asap.

And thanks for the heads-up. If I'm going in the bank I usually don't carry because I'm not happy locking a gun in my vehicle.
Old October 19, 2005, 08:09 AM   #5
john in jax

gb in ga thanks for the link it was very helpfull.

blackmind you are absolutly correct FL CWP does allow us to carry inside banks. I have no idea exactly how, when or where I got the idea we couldn't but it was probably between one and two decades ago. Thank you for setting me straight.
Old March 17, 2006, 12:28 PM   #6
atlctyslkr

There's no rule against carrying in banks in Georgia. I wouldn't do it openly though. I did get harrased once because I dropped my keys and the butt showed from under my coat. Bank manager said he would call the sherriff. I told him go ahead, maybe one of the deputies I know will come out. I have a permit. This was after I had already conducted my transaction and identified myself to a teller. Who would be stupid enough to reveal their real identity and then commit a crime.

Worst that can happen in Georgia if someone sees you with a firearm and calls the cops is you'll probably get sternly spoken to by the cops. Most likely won't happen. As long as you keep your hands off and don't make references to it there isn't much they can really do. You may be asked to leave an estabilshment but that's about it.