The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 27, 2014, 05:13 PM   #1
steve4102

Democratic House members demand gun control vote

Looks like the Democrats are gearing up for another Gun Control debate. 163 House Democrats signed an Open Letter to Speaker Boehner demanding he allow a vote on Gun Violence Legislation.

http://shea-porter.house.gov/sites/s...to_Boehner.pdf
Old June 27, 2014, 05:24 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Still dressing political opportunism up as concern for the families, I see. Let's hope the vote comes before the midterms so the electorate can see where their Representatives stand.

They couldn't get the votes to pass S. 649 at the height of the Sandy Hook hysteria. I doubt they can get them now. Still, it's a good idea to get in touch with your Representative so he knows you're still watching.
Old June 27, 2014, 05:35 PM   #3
TXAZ

.......yawn.....this is how many times in the last 6 years? I predict a similar pre-election grandstand, and result.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 27, 2014, 08:54 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

While passing gun control in an election year had proven to be a BIG LOSER for the anti-gun politicos, ranting about it is not. They get to turn to their anti-gun base and say "keep supporting us, we're still trying", and our guys get to turn to us and say "see, we stopped them, keep us here!"

I think its more smoke and mirrors. Or more precisely, a great tempest, full of sound and fury, signifying, nothing...

With all the problems the other side has been having over other things they support, I think them actually getting more gun control passed would be worse for them, overall. Might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back for them. Some of them, at least have to realize the possibility exists.

That won't stop the zealots, of course, nothing short of their retirement from power ever does...
Old June 27, 2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
They get to turn to their anti-gun base and say "keep supporting us, we're still trying", and our guys get to turn to us and say "see, we stopped them, keep us here!"
Yes, but they don't really have an active "base." Their operations are primarily top-down. If they have another high-profile try (and failure), it might convince a few investors to spend their money elsewhere.
Old June 27, 2014, 10:06 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

Expect these kind of schemes between now and election day. Gun control, immigration, federal appointments, any wedge issue, to get out the vote.
Old June 27, 2014, 11:52 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Yes, but they don't really have an active "base."
They do, but its not the widespread common man grassroots kind of base even though they claim such.

The "base" they are playing to is their like minded supporters (everywhere), many of whom some would call "liberal elite". The well off supporters of the idea, who contribute financial support, as well as those who actually live where they can also contribute votes.

yes, they are top down, what they are playing to is the top, and maybe the mid levels of the pyramid, and calling it a base. Misuse of terms is old SOP for them.
Old June 28, 2014, 12:20 AM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
yes, they are top down, what they are playing to is the top, and maybe the mid levels of the pyramid, and calling it a base.
Agreed, but I've noticed that not many people go to the polls for gun control. Plenty (OK...some) go to the polls to oppose it.
Old June 28, 2014, 11:05 AM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

Way to get funds. My senators and reps send me horror show mailings, send me push fake polls and ask for money for some scheme that will never happen.

So you do this, so suckers send a buck.
Old June 28, 2014, 11:09 AM   #10
TXAZ

Quote:
My senators and reps send me horror show mailings, send me push fake polls and ask for money for some scheme that will never happen.
So why isn't that mail fraud?
They are not allowed to "campaign" using franklin privileges.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 28, 2014, 11:15 AM   #11
BarryLee

Just a little “Wag the Dog”...
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 28, 2014, 02:58 PM   #12
Technosavant

I wonder how many of them are publicly calling for a vote on some measure while behind the scenes saying "Now don't you dare let this come up for a vote."

They're plenty happy to keep on rousting their supporters for $ because the big bad gun lobby is out to get everybody. Meanwhile those who are against gun control are fine with being vilified in the press (heck, we're used to it) as stopping all these schemes before they're voted on as long as these measures never become law.

Everybody wins:
- The anti-gun politicos get to have their press.
- The pro-gun politicos get to play to their supporters.
- The anti-gun and pro-gun lobbyists get donations.
- The pro-gun citizens keep new laws from being passed.
- There just aren't many real anti-gun citizens to speak of, so that they get nothing means precious little.