The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 12, 2011, 08:44 AM   #1
hogcowboy

Question About Tumblers

Do some folks actually use tumblers like the ones used to smooth rocks, or are all tumblers really vibrator type? I'm assuming the term tumbler is because that is the action within the vibrator type that occurs rather than a true rock tumbler. Is that true?
I know it's a dumb question but I've only seen the vibrator type for sale.
Old May 12, 2011, 08:55 AM   #2
hanno

I think most reloaders use vibratory cleaners and just refer to them as "tumblers." I bought my vibratory cleaner from Harbor Freight.

Some folks actually do use real tumblers such as Thumler's Model B for cleaning brass. Never used one bit have read positive reviews.
http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/rotary.html
Old May 12, 2011, 09:00 AM   #3
FlyFish

I have a Thumler Model B that I bought when I first got into reloading nearly 40 years ago because that's all there was then. It still works fine, but it's much slower than the more modern vibrating type, which I also have now. The only downside of the vibrating ones is the noise - the real "tumbler" is very quiet. If I'm working in the basement where my reloading is set up and need to clean cases I'll use the tumbler, but usually I opt for the vibrator and just schedule my case cleaning for when I'm going to be elsewhere.
Old May 12, 2011, 09:58 AM   #4
chiefr

Larry, I have been using a Loretone rock tumbler for over 40 years. Like Flyfish said, they are quiet and that was all that was available back then. I have ran my Loretone continuously for weeks at a time and it still runs like new. My Loretone does not clean as fast as a vibrator type, but the difference is only slight.
I have worn out several of the vibratory types over the years to include name brands, however the Loretone has outlasted all and continues to clean most of my brass. It can also polish rocks when not cleaning brass.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:13 AM   #5
KnobCreek

I use both

I used a vibrating one for quite awhile. Finally was able to find the funds for the Thumbler B. I do like the Thumbler one very well (using stainless steel media), however I don't use it for my high volume cases (9mm, 40, 223), mainly use it for my hunting/target/low volume rounds, as it is does take more of a process. I still use the vibrating one for the high volume cases that I shoot, due it is quicker and I can reload with the cases right after they come out of the bowl.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:17 AM   #6
hogcowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefr
I have worn out several of the vibratory types over the years to include name brands, however the Loretone has outlasted all and continues to clean most of my brass. It can also polish rocks when not cleaning brass.
I'll keep that in mind. I just didn't know that a rock tumbler could do double duty. Thanks
Old May 12, 2011, 12:40 PM   #7
medalguy

Absolutely it can. After all, you're just tumbling "stuff", the tumbler doesn't care what the "stuff" is. Brass, ammo, rocks, all the same to the tumbler. It's like the Energizer bunny, it just keeps going....and going...and going.
Old May 12, 2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Just remember the rotary style such as the Thumbler's Tumbler takes quite a bit longer to clean/polish brass than a vibratory one. Doesn't mean it doesn't do as good of a job, though...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 12, 2011, 03:29 PM   #9
serf 'rett

More time to tumble? More than 45 min to 1.5 hours?

Since I don't own a vibrator style noise box I can’t really address the amount of time needed to clean brass with one of those. I have been using a Thumbler Tumbler, the small 3# A-R1 model left over from kids rock tumbling days, for a number of months now. I tested my tumbler using corn cob media and walnut shell media and suspect the cleaning time might be equal to the popular vibrator type; however, when I transitioned to wet tumbling with stainless steel media, Lemishine and dish washing soap the time factor was significantly reduced. In 45 minutes to 1 hour, the brass is certainly clean enough to reload; if I let her roll for 1-1/2 hours, the primer pockets are clean and the brass has a high polish.
It’s my impression that most reloaders are using the larger capacity Thumbler 9, 12 or mostly 15 pound tumblers; whereas, my tumbler’s small capacity limits me to around 150 pieces of 9mm, 100 pieces of 40S&W or 80 pieces of 45 ACP. I have created a work flow process that allows me to easily process 500 to 1000 pieces of brass in a day. Perhaps a higher capacity tumbler would significantly increase the volume for the same time frame, but my tumbler was free (provided it doesn’t get repo-ed by the now grown son) and more than sufficient for my current volume of shooting. I’ll continue to use it.
If you go the wet/stainless route, you’ll read comments about headaches of dealing with wet brass, but I haven’t really experienced this problem. I think I’m avoiding this by processing my brass far in advance of loading it. When I get home from the range, the brass is tumbled within a few days, dried and stored for later use.
Old May 12, 2011, 04:07 PM   #10
Japle

I've owned several over the last 40 years and the best one I've found is the Hornady vibratory unit.
Old May 12, 2011, 04:18 PM   #11
Hawg

+1 on the Hornady. Mine is still going strong after around 20 years. I have a Midway too and it seems to be a good one but it's only got about three years on it so we shall see.
Old May 12, 2011, 07:29 PM   #12
mbopp

My rotary "tumbler" is home made from old copier parts and aluminum plate. I use a 3# coffee can (back when coffee came in real 3# cans) for the drum. I put a 12-hour timer on it, 2 hours for semi-clean brass and 4-6 hrs for grungy stuff. Media is corn cob pet litter with some Nu-finish added along with some old cut-up dryer sheets.