The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 25, 2014, 02:33 PM   #1
DaftHazard

CCW for extremely light clothing?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I've been around firearms since I was about nine, and I've shot many a handgun... but as I am now the age to start working on attaining my concealed weapon permit, I wanted to begin working on choosing a firearm. The only clincher is that I wear very light clothing. I'm pretty young, and I am not willing to change my wardrobe to fit around a firearm. In the summer, I usually wear relatively tight fitting jeans, as well as t-shirts. I'm 6-foot, 170 pounds, so pretty slim.

I have mostly looked at single-stack semi autos, as well as small frame revolvers. I don't mind carrying a small. I would rather have something small when I need it, then have something big at home in a safe. I want to know what KIND of firearm people recommend, as well as carry methods... mostly the latter.

Thanks for your input! I will remain pretty active on this thread, so feel free to ask questions if you have them.
Old February 25, 2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Dennis6474

The standard reply is to carry the gun that you shoot well and then find a way to carry it.

That did not work for me. I found what I could carry and conceal and then learned how to shoot it well.

i am in the South and light clothing as well as jeans is my standard. I found that a light shirt worn not tucked in would conceal most weapons. I like a paddle holster because it comes off quickly and I can put it where I want when in the car. You may go through a lot of holsters till you find the one you like. Most of us have quite a selection in a drawer some place.

Some shirts have longer tails than others so once you find a brand that works stick with it.

No one has ever told me the gun was showing. Just be aware of it for a while and it becomes second nature to check if your shirt is above the gun.

Pick a caliber that you like to shoot and one that is big enough. I carry a sp101 in .357.
Old February 25, 2014, 02:52 PM   #3
thedudeabides

Learn to dress around the gun.
Old February 25, 2014, 02:59 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Light clothing isn't really an issue. The best way to hide your gun might be an Inside the Waistband (IWB) holster. Yes, you'd need to buy pants that are about 1 size bigger.

If you wear long shorts, you could also carry Outside the Waistband (OWB). The shirt just needs to be long enough to cover the bottom of the holster.

Anything you use is going to "print" to some extent but you really don't need to worry. Most people are oblivious, to put it mildly. You could wear a handgun under a wetsuit and most people wouldn't notice.
Old February 25, 2014, 03:21 PM   #5
scottycoyote

when it comes to light clothes, i often carry a glock, has clipdraw and mic or sometimes thunderwear.
Old February 25, 2014, 03:28 PM   #6
DaftHazard

thedudeabides: I'm not going to sacrifice what I find comfortable so that I can carry a larger, perhaps higher caliber firearm. I have my own lifestyle and my own preference in clothing, and with all of the firearms available today, there is something out there to fit anyone's wardrobe. But, that's a topic for another thread.

Dennis: Excellent advice. I'm still in the process of trying out more firearms and seeing what I'm most comfortable with. I'm very familiar with all of the semi-auto offerings, but I'm a little less fluent with all of the styles of revolvers out there. Any personal preferences other than your sp101?

Brian: I'll probably stick with IWB mostly. My dad carries a full size XD-M in .40, but he's a bigger guy, so hiding a larger frame is easier I guess. Any personal preferences for summer clothing CCWs?
Old February 25, 2014, 03:30 PM   #7
DaftHazard

scottycoyote: I've looked at some glocks, and I love shooting them. What do you think of the thunderwear? Is it comfortable to wear all day? And what do you normally wear it under?
Old February 25, 2014, 03:37 PM   #8
Doc Intrepid

You're about the exact size of my son, who tends to dress very similarly as well. When he faced this issue I did a review of some small autos for him.

After doing quite a bit of shooting, I recommended he consider four pistols from two manufacturers:
  • Kahr PM9
  • Kahr P380
  • Sig Sauer P238
  • Sig Sauer P938

If you want a true pocket gun, you're looking at something the size of the .380s, particularly with tighter jeans and slacks. If you want to holster carry, or you're more concerned with ballistics for social disputes, look at the 9mm. With a pocket holster, look at one of the wallet style holsters that will print through your trou like a wallet. With a belt holster typically the polymer holsters are slimmer, and the hybrid holsters (like the Crossbreed) have a lot to offer.

The Kahrs have no external levers, and are a bit more slick. They're striker fired. The Sigs have external levers.

There are literally hundreds of different firearms and criteria you could add to your own analysis, so I'm not recommending the above pistols for you in particular,...but for someone with your build and wardrobe who is reluctant to change their "style", these options provide you with a place to begin your own analysis.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by Doc Intrepid; February 25, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old February 25, 2014, 03:38 PM   #9
Andrewh

with a crossbreed supertuck, I am able to carry a full size 1911 in a t shirt and shorts.

still a heavy gun. so I went to a p238 with a super tuck.
much easier to carry due to size and weight.

like you, I would rather have a gun, even a mouse gun, then one sitting at home.
Old February 25, 2014, 03:43 PM   #10
DaftHazard

Thanks Doc. Actually, I've been mostly looking at .380s. Contrary to what I've read on countless forums, the .380 is a very lucrative chambering. I would bet that at least 90% of ".380 haters" have never even had to use their firearms to defend themselves (not a bad thing, of course). But looking at police study's, a bullet is a bullet in terms of the typical 7 yard engagement range with hollowpoints.

I'll give these a look.
Old February 25, 2014, 03:45 PM   #11
DaftHazard

Andrewh, my dad runs that same holster and he loves it. I've been hearing a lot of good things about the P238s. What kind of rounds do you usually use for self-defense?
Old February 25, 2014, 03:51 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

Ruger LCP. the gun you can carry when you can't carry a gun!
Mine is either a quick grab and go or a back up gun. As well as a light clothing carry piece. It disappears in my pants pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster no matter how light the clothing is.http://www.desantisholster.com/store...RS/The-Nemesis
For something with a bit more punch, my KAHR Arms CM9, 9MM +P rated pistol is a little bigger, still easily concealable in a little larger pockets like cargo pants, but also easy to conceal, and almost unnoticeable to carry in a Theis Hybrid IWB holster. http://theisholsters.com/holsters.php
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 25, 2014, 03:53 PM   #13
zincwarrior

IWBs are your friend. You'll be shocked how well they work.

For the truly brave: Hawaiian shirts.
For the insanely brave yet epically cool: Hawaiin shirts with Santa on them. In August.
Old February 25, 2014, 03:59 PM   #14
DaftHazard

I've definitely been looking at the LCP.

And zincwarrior... I'm not huge on Hawaiian shirts, but maybe if the occasion calls for it? haha
Old February 25, 2014, 04:03 PM   #15
Doc Intrepid

I suspect you're correct regarding folks who've defended themselves using .380 caliber pistols, (although "lucrative" means "profitable", so I suspect you meant another word - probably something like "legitimate"!)

In any event, for most US citizens just going about their daily business, if they're suddenly attacked at random and they yank a roscoe and go kinetic, I doubt the attacker is going to consider whether they're firing "just" a .380 before deciding they have another pressing engagement to attend to somewhere else!

So a .380 you'll carry routinely beats not carrying at all!

In terms of carry ammunition, I like Hornady. Look into FTX or XTP rounds.

In terms of loose lightweight cover shirts, look at Columbia fishing sport shirts like these:

http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99...efault,pd.html

Your mileage may vary.
Old February 25, 2014, 04:15 PM   #16
DaftHazard

Ahh, I meant to type legitimate, my bad!

Exactly my point. In some of the study's that I've seen, it takes 2-3 rounds from ANY caliber (excluding .22 in MOST cases) to take someone down. And while a .45 has (arguably) more kinetic impact and loudness, I would rather be carrying something small than nothing at all!
Old February 25, 2014, 04:54 PM   #17
ClydeFrog

Comforting not comfortable....

Ah, the "I'm not changing my habits, dress or behaviors just because I carry a concealed gun.".
If you want to wear a sidearm on you, then you'll need to carry a small caliber, light pistol or revolver that will fit your lifestyle.
Or you can buy a serious defense weapon & modify your clothing choices/wardrobe to meet those requirements.
As noted tactics trainer & SE Asia combat veteran Clint Smith says: "concealed guns aren't comfortable they're comforting".

It's your choice. In 2014, there are far more options in terms of holsters/gear/garments.
You can't expect to wear a tank top, bike shorts & flip flops then strut around with a .50AE Desert Eagle.
Old February 25, 2014, 04:59 PM   #18
Qtiphky

I carried a Walther PPK/s which may good for your humid environment (which also comes in a 9mm variant now). I used a Bianchi 100 IWB holster and it literally disappeared under any shirt that I left untucked. Now I carry a M&Pc in a Comptac holster with tucked in dress shirts to work every day. Hardly noticeable and gives me some pretty good firepower. Also have Crossbreed Supertuck holster, but that is for a different gun. You have many options and combinations to choose from.
Old February 25, 2014, 05:06 PM   #19
Bob Wright

Are you planning on carrying a gun for serious social use, or as a fashion statement?

Bob Wright
Old February 25, 2014, 05:10 PM   #20
Grant D

Some times I use a shoulder holster with a 1911, and some times a outside the waistband holster with a S&W Model 37, but mostly a inside the waistband holster with a LC9.

But I ALWAYS have my LCP in my left hip pocket, no matter what else I'm carrying.
From the time I get up till I go to bed.
Old February 25, 2014, 05:28 PM   #21
Black Adder LXX

I just stick a S&W 642 snubby in my pocket and go. I'm actually looking at an sp101 now, but the 642 is a true pocket gun and can shoot 38+p
Old February 25, 2014, 05:37 PM   #22
DaftHazard

Clyde: So you're saying an LCP, Glock 42, Sig 238 and a Kahr P380 aren't "serious defense weapons"? I would consider a "serious defense weapon" anything that I can comfortably control that will defend me in a life-threatening situation.

Bob: The only person who will know that I'm carrying a firearm are myself and my close family members. I think individuals who use firearms as a fashion statement do our country wrong. I have been in martial arts for over six years, and if that's taught me one thing, it's that self defense should never be "shown off", but used to protect myself and others around me. Period.
Old February 25, 2014, 05:39 PM   #23
DaftHazard

Black Adder LXX: I'm not really looking for a pocket gun (as of now, anyway). I do really like the 642 snubby though. Awesome grip for such a small gun.
Old February 25, 2014, 06:06 PM   #24
RockDTMC

I think people make this much more complicated than it really is. If you get the right holster and have an appropriate belt, you can concealed carry almost anything. I'm in Phoenix so I wear a t-shirt almost every day. I carry a Browning Hi Power IWB at 4 o'clock and it works very well.
Old February 25, 2014, 06:29 PM   #25
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Or you can buy a serious defense weapon
Being on the receiving end of a 380 like an LCP is a very serious situation.
But as we all know, 380's suck, right?
http://www.g391.ru/video.php?yt=FhfKSXWLNxg
http://www.g391.ru/video.php?yt=79CodjHFwVI
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Tags
carry method , clothing , concealed carry , handgun