The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 5, 2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Drhc116

Which 9mm Ammo?

Hello everyone,

I have a Glock 19 and a S&W M&P 9mm. With that said, my lgs has tula brass maxx and pmc bronze in stock. the brass maxx is .23 a round and the pmc is .27. My question is: Should I buy the pmc or tula? Anyone have good or bad experience with either.

Thanks
Old December 5, 2013, 03:43 PM   #2
rock185

Drhc, I haven't used any Tula, but have used PMC ammo for years, to include the PMC Bronze 9MM you mention. I've used 9MM PMC Bronze within the few weeks. I have never had an issue of any kind with PMC ammo I have used, mostly 9MM and .45 ACP, and would not hesitate to buy more. I consider PMC to be equal in quality to the major American manufacturers. I've also found PMC cases to be excellent for reloading...
Old December 5, 2013, 04:01 PM   #3
7n6

I was wondering the same thing about the Tula brass maxx a couple months ago. Since it was available and a descent price I got a couple hundred rounds of it and took it to the range, I didnt have any problems with it through my M-9.

And to answer the question Ide say go with the tula to save some money and to try it out yourself.
Old December 5, 2013, 04:19 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

my guns don't know what the ammo cost

I recommend buying and testing from the BOTTOM of the price ladder, and (only) working upward in price until one's specific performance criteria are met.
Old December 5, 2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Shadi Khalil

For range ammo I buy whatever is the least expensive
Old December 5, 2013, 10:11 PM   #6
jfrey

What rock185 said! I have used a lot of PMC and like it. Never fired a round of Tula.
Old December 5, 2013, 10:35 PM   #7
KMAX

For range ammo I like to try out all the brands of affordable ammo to see what will or won't work in my guns. It gives me a possibly wider range of options. I do not really like to use steel or aluminum cased ammo, but I try it out as well. Who knows, it might be all that is available at sometime. As was suggested I try to shoot the least expensive ammo readily available that meets my performance standards, which, BTW, aren't all that high.

PMC is fine for me. Haven't tried the Tula brass yet.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 5, 2013, 11:34 PM   #8
SVTCobra306

I've shot about a hundred rounds of Tula Brass out of my ported XD, worked fine. Even reloaded the brass.. it worked fine again
Old December 6, 2013, 12:02 AM   #9
TunnelRat

I shoot any and all ammo out of my firearms, as long as it's non-corrosive. That's included a lot of Tul of the steel cased variety. I used to avoid steel cased ammo like the plague. Then I realized that if I didn't mind it in my AR or AK, why not my pistol? It's worked fine.

I have enough brass that when I start to reload I could do it for a month straight. At this point I am just about getting rounds down range. The lower the unit cost, the more I can shoot in the long term.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 6, 2013, 08:48 AM   #10
9x19

Does Brass Maxx mean brass cases?

If not, I'd go with the PMC... outside of Com-bloc weapons (AKs and Mak's) I've never been a fan of the steel cased ammo.
Old December 6, 2013, 08:52 AM   #11
IdahoG36

I tend to avoid Russian made ammo for my pistols. I would go with the PMC.

I have not shot any Russian made steel or brass cased ammo through my pistols. I have however shots tons of it through AK variants, Mosin Nagants, etc without issue. I have heard many times that Russian made ammo shoots pretty dirty and can have spotty reliability in modern semi auto pistols.
Old December 6, 2013, 08:59 AM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
I have heard many times that Russian made ammo shoots pretty dirty and can have spotty reliability in modern semi auto pistols.
I haven't found it much dirtier than anything I buy made domestically. And with the exception of a box that had hard primers a few years back, it's all gone bang without a hitch.
Old December 6, 2013, 09:05 AM   #13
Urban_Redneck

Bring a magnet with you, some Tula 9mm ammo is loaded with Bi-metal (copper plated steel) jacketed bullets that will reduce barrel life.

How much? How fast? I don't know, but it was noted as significant in an "torture" test article of rifle ammo.

PMC has been clean, accurate, and reliable in my pistols.

YMMV
Old December 6, 2013, 09:20 AM   #14
TunnelRat

Quote:
How much? How fast? I don't know, but it was noted as significant in an "torture" test article of rifle ammo.
Yes, after tens of thousands of rounds there will be more wear. With the money you'd save you could buy a new barrel and still be ahead of the game cost wise. Even Lucky Gunner mentions that at the end of the article.
Old December 6, 2013, 09:28 AM   #15
Fishbed77

I've found PMC Bronze to be a great training round for all my 9mm pistols.

I also like PMC's 5.56mm/.223 ammo for my ARs. Their XTAC stuff shoots identically in my rifles to equivalent M193 & M855.
Old December 6, 2013, 11:00 AM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

I've shot lots of the PMC with no problems. Maybe 200 rounds of the Tula - no problems.
Old December 30, 2013, 01:10 PM   #17
5whiskey

I'm a little late to the game responding here, but FWIW the Tula Brass Maxx isn't Russian made. Everything I've read about it (including the "made in Italy" markings on the box) indicates that Fiocchi loads this ammo under contract for Tula Ammo. I was hesitant at first but I did a little research. I've picked up several hundred rounds since and have had no problems with it. Brass is reloadable too, albeit it's kinda on the soft side.
Old December 30, 2013, 01:47 PM   #18
Spats McGee
Staff

I've shot ~250-300 rounds of the TulAmmo BrassMaxx through my G19 without a single problem. I have no experience with the 9mm PMC.

@9x19 -- Yes, the BrassMaxx has brass cases.
Old December 30, 2013, 02:35 PM   #19
KyJim

Some quick Google-Fu found a video showing both a 50 round box of 9mm Tula Brass Maxx 9mm and a 100 round "tub." The box says the ammo was made in Italy and the tub says made in Bosnia and Herzegovina (a backward primer in one round in the tub). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F2K_4Wh66w
Old December 30, 2013, 06:05 PM   #20
silverstang23

Buy the cheapest thing with a brass case to take to the range. Just buy small quantities if you are weary of a certain round
Old December 30, 2013, 06:49 PM   #21
TheSmilingSwordsman

Either.

I regularly shoot both brands out of my Beretta PX4 and my S&W Shield (both in 9mm) and have had absolutely no problems with either. Go with whatever is cheaper or more available.
Old December 31, 2013, 02:06 PM   #22
Hitthespot

The indoor ranges in my area do not allow Tulammo or (Wolf IIRC) ammo to be used. There is a sign right at the window. I can't remember the reason I was told, but I think someone said steel in the bullets.

I just checked and a magnet will stick just as easily to the bullet as it does to the steel case with the box I have.
Old December 31, 2013, 05:23 PM   #23
Coach Z

I've shout around 1k of the tula through my blocks, sigs, and berettas and no problems at all.
Old January 3, 2014, 08:18 AM   #24
cryption

I've shot bunches of both without issue. I've shot literally every brand ammo I can find either in store and online, and my XD has never failed.
Old January 3, 2014, 01:26 PM   #25
tahunua001

I've never seen tula brass so I can't really speak for it.
PMC is alright. you won't be winning any awards for accuracy and every once in a while you may have a failure to fire but overall its decent ammo but nothing I'd spend over 25 cents a round for.