The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 23, 2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Stargazer

I'm Desperate, Clerke 1st help....

OK we all know the Clerke 1st revolvers were the largest POS revolvers ever made by man. A friend has one, Mother hand me down, lots of sentimental value. The step Father messed with it and in the process lost something like a spring or plunger that operates the hand. It sits on the trigger and I found what looked like a small brass tube in the spot that appears to hold some sort of spring.

The available Clerke 1st diagrams do not have the detail that shows what goes here, does anyone know definitively what goes in this spot? If it wasn't for the strong sentimental value I would not mess with this thing but if someone really knows what goes there please let me know. See yellow box area in picture.

M70 Web Page
Old February 23, 2013, 08:17 PM   #2
SDC

It should be a small coil spring, like the one you'd see around the nib of a click pen; this part is supposed to provide pressure to keep the hand forward while the trigger is being pulled, or the hammer is being cocked.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Stargazer

The pix doesn't show it but the trigger slot and the hand piece the spring slips on are not lined up. The hand is actually above the slot some. I tried a small spring but it was too large and rubbed the sideplate inside and would only sometimes work as intended. The spring was from a 10/22 ejector, it needs to be about 3/32" in diameter, slightly smaller than the 10/22 spring. Any ideas?

M70 Web Page
Old February 24, 2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Stargazer

I found one on Numrich's page for this pistol, not sure how I overlooked it. They only had one left so it is headed my way now.

M70 Web Page