The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 6, 2014, 05:31 PM   #1
dgerwin11

Do I Need a Henry .22 Lever Action

I have just returned to sport shooting, plinking really. I love my 1851 Colt Navy .44 replica and my Heritage Rough Rider .22 revolver. But something keeps nagging at me to get a Henry .22 lever action. I even have an old Remington 77 Apache. So it is not like I need another .22 long gun.

I just shoot cans and stuff like that, so it is not like I plan on reaching out and dispatching varmints.

Can anyone talk some sense into me?
Old June 6, 2014, 06:19 PM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Can anyone talk some sense into me?
Nope not me. I won't try to change your mind. I think everybody needs a lever gun. That nylon Rem. Save it for a rainy day when you don't want to get your lever gun wet.
Old June 6, 2014, 06:26 PM   #3
dgerwin11

IIRC, I spent about $100.00 on the Remington. Damned near fell out of the recliner when I saw what some people are willing to pony up for one now.
Old June 6, 2014, 06:33 PM   #4
CockNBama

I looked at one today, and almost brought it home. It is nicely fit and finished, the action was sturdy and slick.

My problem is that I'm hankerin' for the octagon barrel pump. Can you talk me out of THAT one?
Old June 6, 2014, 06:36 PM   #5
dgerwin11

Yeah. A pump is not a lever. Does that help?
Old June 6, 2014, 06:47 PM   #6
Waspinator

Can't help you there.

If you read this thread I started, you can see why.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547551

That said, I went to the LGS today with my co-worker and his daughter (she was buying her first pistol). I picked up a Henry Standard and a Golden boy and played with it again. I think I'm ending up with one... They are very nice and the action is silk. I almost bought right then and there today, but there is a store a bit further out that is a Henry "Gold Dealer".. supposedly they have more Henry rifles in stock and more to choose from. I'm trying to find the octagon barreled "Frontier" model before I make a final decision on which model to buy.

You'll come across some "Henry Haters" that will look down upon them because they use alloy receiver covers instead of steel, even though the actual action is steel under the cover. They will tell you to buy a Marlin, Browning, Uberti or Winchester for 2+ times the cost. But if you read reviews from actual Henry owners, who also own a Marlin, Browning, Uberti or Winchester, they have nothing but good things to say about the Henry.

I don't think you need any sense talked to you, because you're making a lot of sense already
Old June 6, 2014, 06:50 PM   #7
dgerwin11

I read that thread when you first put it up. That was one of the things that got me thinking this way. Thanks a pantload.
Old June 7, 2014, 05:54 AM   #8
az_imuth

Quote:
I just shoot cans and stuff like that...
This is where a rimfire levergun really shines, and the Henry rifles are perfect for the task.

Old June 7, 2014, 06:03 AM   #9
adrians

Well, I thought I didn't need a henry 22 , but there's a 22mag in my gun case now and I found out I don't need it but sure like having it...
Old June 7, 2014, 06:07 AM   #10
1stmar

I fired a browning 22 lever once the throw on was extreme short. Made very quick follow up shots and was enjoyable to shoot. Does the Henry have the same short throw
Old June 7, 2014, 06:41 AM   #11
22-rimfire

I think even the casual 22LR shooter should have two 22 rifles if for no other reason than to have one you can loan to a friend to plink with together. Personally, I would just keep the Remington mostly in reserve and get replacements.

Henry 22 lever actions have a very smooth action. I don't think you'll go wrong adding one to your inventory. I resisted buying one for a few years and finally got one and I have a number of 22 rifles. I also have the Marlin 39A which is never a bad choice if you're willing to spend a bit more money. Then you'll want a Winchester 9422 which is one of the grail 22 lever guns these days.

The target shooting area (even non-competitive) is where you end up spending real money on 22 rifles.

My advice is go ahead and buy the Henry and down the road a bit pick up a CZ bolt action which are a good value on the accurate middle priced 22 rifles later.
Old June 7, 2014, 07:35 AM   #12
cecILL

Buy the Henry, you'll have no regrets.
Old June 7, 2014, 08:18 AM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
I fired a browning 22 lever once the throw on was extreme short. Made very quick follow up shots and was enjoyable to shoot. Does the Henry have the same short throw
No thank God and the trigger assembly doesn't drop with the lever either.
Old June 7, 2014, 12:05 PM   #14
SteelChickenShooter

I can say this about Henry's: Some are lower cost and have ordinary rear sights. Good enough for a lot of use like rabbits, cans or swinging plinker plates. But some models (like the Frontier) have a better rear sight. And it can be adjusted for best accuracy. If you test 20 or more brands of .22 ammo, you can find one or more with better accuracy. Then you can fine tune your sight to suit your needs using that ammo.
I say this because I shoot a Henry Frontier model for just that reason. I use it for "fun shoots". Where the targets are peanuts, swinging golf balls, Cheerios. pretzels hanging from a string. And also novelty paper targets such as darts, pool balls, bowling pins, etc.
And no, the Henry didn't have the short stroke like my Browning did. But then, the Browning did not have the accuracy as my Henry did.
Old June 7, 2014, 12:12 PM   #15
jeager106

YES! I can talk sense to you.
You want it, you really, want it, you can't have too many .22 firearms so.....
BUY IT MY FRIEND!
Please post a range report so I can get jealous & buy one for myself.
Old June 7, 2014, 12:27 PM   #16
dgerwin11

You guys are about as helpful as my buddies over at Pipe Smokers Forum when I ask if I should spring for another meerschaum pipe.
Old June 7, 2014, 02:36 PM   #17
Waspinator

^ Perfect!

Then you can take a satisfying puff from you nice new meerschaum pipe after taking that crack shot with you nice new Henry rifle. As the smoke clears, you can point to the target with the stem of the pipe and say "That was a jolly good shot, wouldn't you say chaps?" Then proceed to put the pipe back in your mouth for another puff.

Sorry, the visual was to much, I had to write it down, lol
Old June 7, 2014, 02:37 PM   #18
dgerwin11

20,000 comedians out of work and you are trying to makes jokes?
Old June 7, 2014, 02:45 PM   #19
Unlicensed Dremel

Of course you don't NEED it.

Of course you SHOULD get it.

Any more questions?
Old June 7, 2014, 02:55 PM   #20
Waspinator

Quote:
20,000 comedians out of work and you are trying to makes jokes?
Old June 7, 2014, 04:04 PM   #21
dgerwin11

Well, I dusted off the 77 and shot a few clips through it. Someday when I don't work up a sweat walking out the door I need to adjust the sights. But it is hard to do with sweat pouring into you eyes.

The major problem is it did not cycle the Remington Goldens very well, but it did seem to get better towards the end. Maybe just needs more shooting to loosen things up.

But I can still hear the faint mating call of the Henry.
Old June 7, 2014, 04:26 PM   #22
TomADC

I have a H001 it is just plain fun to shoot and I've had zero problems with it.

Old June 7, 2014, 06:46 PM   #23
jglsprings

Quote:
Well, I dusted off the 77 and shot a few clips through it. Someday when I don't work up a sweat walking out the door I need to adjust the sights. But it is hard to do with sweat pouring into you eyes.

The major problem is it did not cycle the Remington Goldens very well, but it did seem to get better towards the end. Maybe just needs more shooting to loosen things up.

But I can still hear the faint mating call of the Henry.
I can understand buying a new rifle because one of my current guns won't shoot crappy Remington rimfire ammo...

That's why I keep the Remington stuff around!

I'd buy that Henry in a heartbeat!

P.S.

Quote:
So it is not like I need another .22 long gun.
What does "need" have to do with anything?

Commas save lives...
Old June 7, 2014, 08:06 PM   #24
22-rimfire

Quote:
dgerwin said... You guys are about as helpful as my buddies over at Pipe Smokers Forum when I ask if I should spring for another meerschaum pipe.
You certainly came to the right place for some encouragement! Try Rimfire Central. 1-Q it is.... (that's code).

Really and truly, the Henry H001 is a very nice little 22 rifle. You can certainly buy more expensive ones, especially in lever action. It is a very fun rifle to shoot. For me, it's shortcoming is mounting a scope. A scope just doesn't look right on one.

The Browning BL-22 is also a very nice high quality lever gun. The short lever throw makes it easy to eject and chamber another round without taking the gun off your shoulder.
Old June 8, 2014, 11:20 AM   #25
jismail

When I was looking for a lever. 22 I compared the marlin. 39 and the Henry... For me the marlin was the nicer gun and worth the price delta as I dont plan on getting any more 22 levers after that one. Henrys are nice too, so you cant go wrong with either.