The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2016, 09:13 AM   #1
fleeterhousen

Sig p938 - a few mods to my new edc

Hey guys, I think it's been a few years since I've posted here... I mostly lurk in the background...

Anyway, I wanted to show off my newest -

It's a "Blackwood" model. I traded the grips out for the g-10 grips you find on the Extreme, installed a ss trigger from Glen from Tillamook, and I have the 7 round extended mags for it.

I carry in a Vedder IWB at about 4 O'clock, and it just disappears. LOVE the Vedder holster (and the gun, for that matter!)
Old February 19, 2016, 09:41 AM   #2
BarryLee

I had always dismissed the P938 as too small. However, after holding one in a LGS I found it actually fits may hand much better than expected. I wish I could shoot one to see how it performs. Would you compare it to shooting a J-Frame revolver?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 19, 2016, 09:58 AM   #3
fleeterhousen

I actually have small hands, and have a hard time shooting a "full size" handgun, so I really like the size of the p938 (especially with the thinner grips and extended mag so you don't get the pinky dangle).

I've never shot a small revolver (plenty of larger ones...), so I'll have to wait for someone else to chime in on that.
Old February 19, 2016, 10:04 AM   #4
BarryLee

While my hands are probably slightly above average I do have several smaller guns. I’ve got a Mustang and LCP in .380, a G26 in 9mm and a S&W 442 all of which I have zero issues with. I guess my bigger concern than grip is recoil and the time for follow up shots.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 19, 2016, 11:01 AM   #5
MFitz

Quote:
I had always dismissed the P938 as too small. However, after holding one in a LGS I found it actually fits may hand much better than expected. I wish I could shoot one to see how it performs. Would you compare it to shooting a J-Frame revolver?
I have only handled and fired one once, last summer at a SiG demo day at the local range. It felt great and shot amazing - first shot was a dead-center bullseye at 7 yards, the next 5 were all within an inch. I don't remember any recoil.

I came away a convert.
Old February 19, 2016, 02:03 PM   #6
Martin Redcoat

I have the 938 BRG, and find it to have similar recoil to my S&W 640 and SP101 when firing Gold Dots, etc. The 238, I think, is a much better shooter for maintaining an accurate hold on target than the 9mm version. Just my 2 cents worth..
Old February 19, 2016, 02:13 PM   #7
Grumpy_Bottom

I love my 938, and was very pleased when I discovered that Milt Sparks made a holster for it, and that Top Gun carried them as part of their "normal" stock. It disappears at 4 o'clock like nothing else, and makes a great pocket gun with the 6 round magazine instead of the 7
Old February 19, 2016, 02:51 PM   #8
fleeterhousen

I was a little cautious when I bought it, but I think sig worked out all the bugs with them... seemed like when they were first out, people were having trouble with ejecting, feeding, and other random issues.

Has anyone had any problems with a recently produced p938? There doesn't seem to be any chatter about them lately...
Old February 20, 2016, 07:44 AM   #9
Mike 1

I bought one right after the first of the year.
After right at 600 rounds it jammed up pretty good,I had heck getting it apart.

The recoil spring guide rod came unscrewed from the follower and got lodged in there.

A little alcohol and red loctite fixed it right up.

I have a total of 2500 rounds through it now with no further problems.

Shoots great,right where I aim it.

I have a shooting range at my home,and can shoot all I can afford.
Mike
Old October 5, 2016, 09:21 PM   #10
sixgunluv

P 938 Mods

Everyone has their preference..here's mine.

..... swap out the ambi safety for the single side 238 version and an aftermarket aluminum trigger. Plastic trigger is a little cheesy for a $600 piece IMHO, if you file the serrations to make it smooth it's ok..but i prefer an aftermarket aluminum.

A standard Rosewood with new safety and trigger.
A Blk Rubber Grip Two Tone...Change grip to Rosewood and also new safety and trigger.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by sixgunluv; October 6, 2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old October 5, 2016, 11:04 PM   #11
Ibmikey

The Sig P 938 (along with P 238 and Kimber Micro) is one of my favorite pistols for carry. I also have a .22 conversion kit that makes it one fun little shooter for cans, rocks and varmints. Both the 9 and .22 have given me absolute performance and are quite accurate out to 15 yards. I have shot many cans at 75 and 100 yards with the 938 once I get the elevation down. Again, if you want a carry piece that is powerful, accurate, light and mild recoil the Sig P 938 is for you.
Old October 6, 2016, 08:03 PM   #12
Joe_Pike

Quote:
Would you compare it to shooting a J-Frame revolver?
I carried a 642 for nine years and started carrying the P938 a few months ago. To me the recoil of the P938 was much, much less than the 642. The 642 isn't all that pleasant to shoot if you ask me, where the P938 was a dream to shoot for being such a small gun. YMMV.
Old October 6, 2016, 08:55 PM   #13
Technosavant

Yeah, a 938 isn't in the same state, let alone the same ballpark, as a J frame when it comes to recoil. Much easier to handle. Not quite the pussycat that the 238 is, but not hard to handle.

A 938 has been my EDC for a few years now... but I recently obtained a XDS .45 that has taken over some of those duties.
Old October 9, 2016, 10:16 AM   #14
sixgunluv

A little tough to find good holsters for the P938 especially if you like OWB kydex. I had to get a custom one made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P938 Holster.jpg (205.1 KB, 65 views)
Old October 9, 2016, 04:38 PM   #15
michael t

Ive looked at them and handled . Just can bring my self to buy one. I still have 2 of the original Colt Mustangs that haven't wore out. So I just keep shooting those for another 30 yrs or so.